New to the forum, I bring forth my newest mix (axefxultra, rg1527, dc727)

btfsam

New Metal Member
Sep 29, 2011
Did this tonight with my bud.

Setup was my ibanez rg1527 prestige w/blaze and air norton, my friend was using his carvin dc727 for his parts. Axe FX ultra straight into interface. Bass is my ernie ball sub5 w/ the SV bass model on the ultra. Drums are superior 2.0 metal foundry with kick and snare samples blended in.

I'm looking for some critique on the mix/tones/etc. Don't take it easy on me I want to get a good mix together to record an EP with my band. I have a shure sm7b for vocals and when I have tried to record vocals it is epic fail and I cant get it to sound good. For now just listen to it without vocals perhaps I will post some vocal takes over it later.

anyway thanks in advance for any help!
"nephilim"
http://soundcloud.com/onpalehorse/nephilim

Guitars are too loud in the mix. Snare doesn't cut, neither do the kicks for that matter. The tones sound like they are there but "mix" wise it needs work. Bring those guitars down about 2db and go from there.

This ^

Also too much mids going on in those guitars. Thats just personal preference though.

thanks for the comments guys, any tips on actually what to do to get the kick and snare popping out a bit more besides just bringing down the guitars? I think what I did was I had a multiband limiter on the guitars tweaking the mids a bit and that mightve gave me a bit too much volume + pumping in the mids. I will up a new one today, anything else before i do that?

thanks for the comments guys, any tips on actually what to do to get the kick and snare popping out a bit more besides just bringing down the guitars? I think what I did was I had a multiband limiter on the guitars tweaking the mids a bit and that mightve gave me a bit too much volume + pumping in the mids. I will up a new one today, anything else before i do that?

IMO If you bring the guitars down about 2db, the snare and kick will automatically punch through a lot more though. You'll end up with a more balanced mix.

Add some more "click" to the kick. 10k? I think volume wise the kick is fine though.

Boost 5k on the snare.

If it still doesn't punch through after you lowered the guitars and applied these then boost volume.

In terms of production, are some things to improve, for my taste of course....but....the first riff is FUCKING AWESOME :)

Really nice mixture between Mors Principium Est and Dissection ( in the chords of 0:06-0:09 ). Congrats man!

that sounds awesome man! better than mine hahahaha
the notes on some of the licks aren't exactly spot on but they work nonetheless and sound very tight! excellent work what was your setup?

Good sound man. The guitars are litlle too loud for my ears, maybe I was wrong. Please check my mix with Ultra/Steven Slate/ Logic.

that sounds awesome man! better than mine hahahaha
the notes on some of the licks aren't exactly spot on but they work nonetheless and sound very tight! excellent work what was your setup?

Heyyy

Yeah...but anyway is one of the best riffs I have hear lately :)

I have used, kick and snare from slate, superior drummer avatar for the rest. Guitars are 6505 in revalver. Bass a DI + another one with TSE BOD.

The setup in the recording was : instrument to UA LA-610 mkII to Fireface 800