New Trivium

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Song is getting a lot of hate from the core kids. Probably why I really like it. Vengeance Falls also took a lot of flack and that was my fave Trivium album as well. They can't win whatever they do. Just carrying on going in this direction Matt. Screw the core kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good. A very different band from the one that released Ascendancy, but I like this.

I think it's only remarkable because of its divergence from their past. It's an ok tune, but that's about it, imo.

I know it seems cool to insult Trivium and I know they are not for everyone, but I love how they change their sound from album to album. I don't see it as trend jumping, I see it as experimentation. I like the new song. I don't mind if they go all clean vocals, though I wish the song seemed to have a little more kick to it.

I have said it a ton of times, I just don't get the hate this band receives. I get it that people don't like them (I am totally ok with that), but the amount of venom and cool-kid mocking they receive baffles me.

I know it seems cool to insult Trivium and I know they are not for everyone, but I love how they change their sound from album to album. I don't see it as trend jumping, I see it as experimentation. I like the new song. I don't mind if they go all clean vocals, though I wish the song seemed to have a little more kick to it.

I have said it a ton of times, I just don't get the hate this band receives. I get it that people don't like them (I am totally ok with that), but the amount of venom and cool-kid mocking they receive baffles me.

Going from generic metalcore, to generic thrash and now to generic power metal, is not what I call experimenting. I call it being boring and insincere with your art.

So they are trend jumping to what is popular, by putting out a "generic power metal" album? Because we know how incredibly popular power metal is in the United States. And before that they made a calculated move to "thrash" which is another thriving genre outside of the few classic acts? I honestly do not know their motivations (and I am guessing people in this thread do not either), so I am going to take it at face value that they are trying new things. Seems to me if they were truly as calculated and lacking integrity as people here seem to be saying, they would have just stuck with metalcore since that would make their longtime fans the happiest (and it seems to be suiting bands like Killswitch Engage pretty well).

This kind of makes my point. Rather than people just saying they dislike the music there is all of this nasty speculation about their "sincerity", motivations and whether they are "real" or "tr00" metal.

So they are trend jumping to what is popular, by putting out a "generic power metal" album? Because we know how incredibly popular power metal is in the United States. And before that they made a calculated move to "thrash" which is another thriving genre outside of the few classic acts? I honestly do not know their motivations (and I am guessing people in this thread do not either), so I am going to take it on face value that they are trying new things. Seems to me if they were truly as calculated and lacking integrity as people here seem to be saying, they would have just stuck with metalcore since that would make their longtime fans the happiest (and it seems to be suiting bands like Killswitch Engage pretty well).

This kind of makes my point. Rather than people just saying they dislike the music there is all of this nasty speculation about their "sincerity", motivations and whether they are "real" or "tr00" metal.

They key point I was making is that they make boring and generic music. Pretty sure that's a legitimate reason to dislike music.

And on copying trends, Matt Heafy completely changed his vocals overnight to where he went through a period where he was quite literally imitating James Hetfield. Can't say I find stuff like that appealing.

It's not specifically power metal, but it's certainly not metalcore either by any means. It's like a better version of what Avenged Sevenfold has been doing since City of Evil, mixed with what Disturbed has always done, mixed with Matt Heafy having better vocals than David Draiman. It's probably the best version of Trivium yet, but not great enough for me to really be motivated to support them with my money.

And on copying trends, Matt Heafy completely changed his vocals overnight to where he went through a period where he was quite literally imitating James Hetfield. Can't say I find stuff like that appealing.

One could make the point that an imitation James Hetfield is many miles ahead of the current James Hetfield...

Wow this is great. Now I am even more stoked to see the Tremonti /Trivium tour now. Runs to get new Trivium!!!

Bear

I'm not a *huge* fan, but I like what I've heard from both bands enough that I would go see the tour. And they're even playing not one, but two shows near me. But just my luck, I'll be out of town, since the two dates are the Friday and Saturday of ProgPower, LOL.

It's not specifically power metal, but it's certainly not metalcore either by any means. It's like a better version of what Avenged Sevenfold has been doing since City of Evil, mixed with what Disturbed has always done, mixed with Matt Heafy having better vocals than David Draiman. It's probably the best version of Trivium yet, but not great enough for me to really be motivated to support them with my money.

I agree with you. Also, I hear just a hint of some goth in Heafy's vox...which I dig. The video is pretty cool too, adding to that vibe.

~Brian~