New version of Rainbow forming...Blackmore's son

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Former RAINBOW musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith have united with a second-generation Blackmore to form OVER THE RAINBOW.

OVER THE RAINBOW is:

Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW 1980-1984) - Vocals
Tony Carey (RAINBOW 1975-1978) - Keyboards
Bobby Rondinelli (RAINBOW 1980-1983) - Drums
Greg Smith (RAINBOW 1994-1997) - Bass
Jürgen "J.R." Blackmore - Guitar

Carey, who has produced several artists (including Joe Cocker and David Knopfler) since his RAINBOW days, says, "Having done everything from country to opera, I thought it would be fun to play some rock again without the burden of singing everything."

Rondinelli adds, "OVER THE RAINBOW reunites members of one of the most distinctive sounding bands of all time and introduces a hidden treasure to the world in J.R. Blackmore."

The son of the iconic RAINBOW founder/guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, Jürgen Blackmore is a critically acclaimed guitarist in his own right and agreed to join this endeavor after realizing how intense the demand was for a RAINBOW "reunion." OVER THE RAINBOW marks the first time that four members from three different eras of RAINBOW will take the stage together along with J.R. Blackmore.

RAINBOW has spawned over 20 albums (five gold, four silver), seven Billboard Hot 100 and Mainstream Rock tracks, six Top 75 UK songs and at least seven MTV frequently played videos. Their longest tenure was from its inception through 1984 when it went on hiatus so Blackmore could reform DEEP PURPLE. A decade later, RAINBOW toured and recorded an album. Since then, Ritchie Blackmore has turned his focus toward BLACKMORE’S NIGHT.

Since 1998, former members of RAINBOW and their respective management offices have been bombarded with requests for RAINBOW to reunite. Carey, Rondinelli, Smith and Turner answered "the call" but agreed that the only legitimate way that this could be accomplished was with a Blackmore on guitar. Enter: J.R. Blackmore.

How does the younger Blackmore feel about sharing the stage with musicians he grew up watching perform in concert with his legendary father? "I have not worked with them," says Blackmore, "But I have admired them since I was young. That makes them like brothers."

Greg Smith agrees that the market for RAINBOW's brand of rock is under served. "I know there is a big demand for this music," he says. "The fact that all members are ex-RAINBOW from different periods in the band's history will give the music the integrity it deserves. A Blackmore on guitar will give it even more authenticity."

While Joe Lynn Turner has fond memories of collaborating with and great respect for Ritchie Blackmore, he's looking forward to working with his son. He states, "J.R. is the only logical choice for the guitar slot for OVER THE RAINBOW. I have followed some of his projects over the years now. He's very talented."

OVER THE RAINBOW will begin touring in Russia during February of 2009.

3039644657_e08a10cdd9_o.jpg

Well, I like it in theory, but without Ritchie it just ain't Rainbow. Then again, who am I to say? The new Uriah Heep lacks all the early and, "important," personalities of that band, and yet it's amazing. Also, next to Dio, the Turner era Rainbow stuff is the best to my ear.

Still...

Also, as an editorial aside, where did they get their album count? 20 Rainbow records?

I'll pass.

a) from all the Rainbow incarnations, the one with JLT is the one I like the least
b) I prefer David Rosenthal over Tony Carey (who incidentally plays in the new Evil Masquerade album)
c) I don't know Jurgen so I can't judge him, but to me Rainbow is ALL ABOUT Blackmore senior (it's kind like Led Zeppelin with Jason, it's not the same.)

Of course thanks to the magic of leaking and downloading will be able to check the recording material (if any) and then take a decision, a surprise may come.

This is, in essence, just a tribute band. The members are all from different eras of the band, and with the exception of Tony Carey, not the best eras.
Having said that, I do like some of the Joe Lynn Turner era songs and I'm glad he's having a chance to perform them live again.

I thought this was a gag article at first. Who knows... maybe he picked up a couple of chops from his pops.

Also, as an editorial aside, where did they get their album count? 20 Rainbow records?

I wondered that myself. I can only think of about 10 right off the top of my head.

Of course thanks to the magic of leaking and downloading will be able to check the recording material (if any) and then take a decision, a surprise may come.

One thing of interest is there is NO MENTION of a forthcoming album. Right now it's just a touring tribute band as the desert demon pointed out.

I wondered that myself. I can only think of about 10 right off the top of my head.

Let's see how good I did without checking a site:

"Ritchie Blackmores's Rainbow"
"Rising"
"On Stage"
"Long Live Rock'N'Roll"
"Down To Earth"
"Difficult To Cure"
"Straight Between the Eyes"
"Live Between The Eyes"
"Bent Out of Shape"
"Finyl Vinyl"
"Rainbow Over The Rainbow"
"The Best Of Rainbow"
"Stranger In Us All"
"Live In Munich 1976" (or something like it)

One thing of interest is there is NO MENTION of a forthcoming album. Right now it's just a touring tribute band as the desert demon pointed out.

That´s good, hope they stay that way :heh:

OK I decided to go to M-A (I know it sucks) and check how many releases are listed I eliminated demos, videos and singles and ended with this list:

1. Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Full-length, 1975 Rising Full-length, 1976
  2. On Stage Live album, 1977
  3. Long Live Rock 'n' Roll Full-length, 1978
  4. Down to Earth Full-length, 1979
  5. The Best of Rainbow Best of/Compilation, 1980
  6. Difficult to Cure Full-length, 1981
  7. Straight Between the Eyes Full-length, 1982 Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Boxed set, 1983
  8. Bent Out of Shape Full-length, 1983
  9. Finyl Vinyl Best of/Compilation, 1986
  10. Live in Europe Live album, 1990
  11. Live In Germany 1976 Live album, 1990
  12. Stranger in Us All Full-length, 1995
  13. The Very Best Of Rainbow Best of/Compilation, 1997
  14. Millennium Collection: Rainbow Best of/Compilation, 2000
  15. Universal Masters Collection Best of/Compilation, 2001
  16. Pot of Gold Best of/Compilation, 2002
  17. All Night Long: An Introduction Best of/Compilation, 2002
  18. Catch the Rainbow - The Anthology Best of/Compilation, 2003
  19. Live In Köln 1976 Live album, 2006
  20. Live In Munich Live album, 2006
  21. Live in Düsseldorf 1976 Live album, 2006
  22. Rainbow- Colour Collection Best of/Compilation, 2006
  23. Live Nurnberg Messezentrum Live album, 2007

There you got 20 :Smug:

Good job Wyv! You can clearly see how desperate they are to "beef up" a band's discography for the sake of a press release!

Thanks. And it is not the first time I saw the phenomena, I've seen it with Saxon, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple too. My point of view? Only album studios and maybe live albums count for the discography, boxsets, compilations, etc are not accountable for.

in my opinion; i thought the "Down to Earth" album with Graham Bonnet was the stand out release of the catalog.

some people have liked it the least of the entire catalog

i often tell people who have heard of the band Rainbow and want to know what they sound like is this

the legend most people know: Dio
the most talented who people should know: Graham Bonnet
the money(commercially speaking): Joe Lynn Turner

in my opinion; i thought the "Down to Earth" album with Graham Bonnet was the stand out release of the catalog.

I think is very underrated too. Definitively is better than everything from JLT era, I wonder what path would have Rainbow took is Bonnet would have kept on the band as the vocalist.

No one can deny the power of songs like 'Eyes of the World', Love's No Friend, 'Danger Zone' and the awsome 'Lost In Hollywood'. :headbang:

Thanks. And it is not the first time I saw the phenomena, I've seen it with Saxon, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple too. My point of view? Only album studios and maybe live albums count for the discography, boxsets, compilations, etc are not accountable for.

Amen, brother Wyv! I agree, only studio albums and official live albums count. Also agree with you and botox9 about Down to Earth being under-rated and it would have been interesting to hear where Rainbow would have gone if they hadn't switched to Jo Leen on vocals.

You know Graham actually started to record "I Surrender" & his voice was left on the backing harmony parts.

I think they could have continued on just fine with Graham.

You know Graham actually started to record "I Surrender" & his voice was left on the backing harmony parts.

I think they could have continued on just fine with Graham.

No I didn't is a very interesting fact, I'm glad you also agree with TSO and me that they would have just done fine with Bonnet instead of JLT :erk:

except for the fact JLT is a much better singer than graham

WHAT??? I'm taking my graphic back! :lol:

This JLT/Bonnet debate has gone on here before with both sides firmly entrenched in their opinion. Some like JLT better, some think Bonnet is God. I'm in the latter. I just love Bonnet's vocal style, it's so unique.

I was just a youngster at the time, but I remember when Difficult to Cure just came out. We hated it at first, because they had gone "soft" on us. Down to Earth has a gritty, manly feel to the music. Adding in JLT sounded like they went all girly on us! That's when we started calling him Jo Leen, and still do to this day!

Oddly though, as the years have passed and I quit being so critical, Difficult to Cure has become my favorite JLT-era Rainbow album. They just kept getting softer from there.