Rainbow reunitied...sorta

Ascension

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2002
The Last Frontier
Visit site
Former Rainbow musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith have united with a second generation Blackmore to form Over The Rainbow.
Over The Rainbow
is: Vocals: Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow 1980-1984) Keyboards: Tony Carey (Rainbow 1975-1978) Drums: Bobby Rondinelli (Rainbow 1980-1983) Bass: Greg Smith (Rainbow 1994-1997) Guitar: Jurgen ("J.R.") Blackmore.
Carey, who has produced several artists including Joe Cocker and David Knopfler since his Rainbow days says, "Having done everything from country to opera, I thought it would be fun to play some rock again without the burden of singing everything."
Rondinelli adds, "Over the Rainbow re-unites members of one of the most distinctive sounding bands of all time and introduces a hidden treasure to the world in J.R. Blackmore.''
The son of the iconic Rainbow founder/guitarist, Ritchie Blackmore, is Jurgen ("J.R.") Blackmore. J.R. is a critically acclaimed guitarist in his own right and agreed to join this endeavor after realizing how intense the demand was for a Rainbow "reunion." Over The Rainbow marks the first time that four members from three different eras of Rainbow will take the stage together along with J.R. Blackmore.

Sorta gimmicky... but I guess no more so than having Jason Bonham play the skins with Zepp.
Unlike Zeppelin, Rainbow was long considered a Ritchie Blackmore SOLO project. So, I can understand why they call it "Over the Rainbow". Anything else would be like firing Jon Bon Jovi from Bon Jovi or Eddie Van Halen from Van Halen.

I love Rainbow, but this is just a bad idea.
At most, they MIGHT stick around long enough to record and release an album that will go completely unnoticed.

From the Over the Rainbow MySpace site....US tour dates:

Jul 3 - Toyota Park - Bridgeview, Illinois
Jul 4 - Downtown Street Festival - El Paso, Texas
Jul 6 - Ocean City Music Pier - Ocean City, New Jersey
Jul 8 - DTE Energy Theatre (see The Palace website for details) - Auburn Hills, Michigan
Jul 10 - Crocodile Rock - Allentown, Pennsylvania
Jul 11 - Stone Pony - Asbury Park, New Jersey

If anyone is interested in going to the Allentown, PA show, please contact me. I am helping my good friends in the band Lazarus who are opening this show sell tickets. Lazarus are a fantastic traditional/prog/power metal band from New York who paid a good deal of money to get the direct support slot for this show. You will NOT be disappointed by their performance. So yes, contact me if you are interested in going to the Allentown show and you can save money by buying your tickets directly through me.

If anyone is interested in going to the Allentown, PA show, please contact me. I am helping my good friends in the band Lazarus who are opening this show sell tickets. Lazarus are a fantastic traditional/prog/power metal band from New York who paid a good deal of money to get the direct support slot for this show. You will NOT be disappointed by their performance. So yes, contact me if you are interested in going to the Allentown show and you can save money by buying your tickets directly through me.

Did I see you at the show at Sundance in Rocky Point LI?

It might not be that bad (then again, I like to dream big). I could listen to JLT sing any day of the week, just need to make sure the written content is good.

I, for one, will be seeing them when they come to Bridgeview. I was too young to see the real thing back in the day, so I'm excited about this tour. At least the lineup consists mostly of past members of the band. Besides, if Ritchie won't do it, why shouldn't the other members who played a part in the band's history do it?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Uh oh....the wheels are falling off this thing:

Press Release / "After an all-too-brief run, Tony Carey has left Over the Rainbow. Carey wishes to make it clear that there were no personality issues or clashes involving any other members. Carey is and was dissatisfied with the management, and feels that too many errors were made; unfortunately, the management came with the package, being Joe Lynn Turner's people, and took over from the beginning. 'I wish the lads all the success in the world', says Carey."
(from www.melodicrock.com)

"After he received a great reception from over 12,000 fans at the Sweden Rock Festival, OVER THE RAINBOW has officially added keyboardist Paul Morris to the band's roster for several USA concert dates in July. Like all members of Over The Rainbow (with the exception of guitarist Jurgen "J.R." Blackmore), Morris was also part of RAINBOW as he recorded and toured with the band from 1994 through 1997. "
(from www.bravewords.com)