New very quick mix...

MetalJonesy

more metal, more booze!!!
Hey yall, this is a track that Zvish sent me to have a bit of fun on, its of a band called Final Sacrifice.

Just slammed this mix together in about an hour, its bloomin midi drums agin replaced with numerous slate samples and my own cymbals here n there so that took ages to edit. The levels arent right yet, the kick gets lost here n there, plus ice done a really quick master thing on the bus that i havent tweaked. Im also wanting to reamp the guitars as they are still done with Amplitube Metal:erk: (always use this just to get a mix going before reamping the DIs) with one of GuitarHacks IRs the toms are appauling, they are them fader head ones, and they have been very quickly dropped in so they really dont work! the bass is also a bit lost as im usign a new set of IRs after sansamp and compression so am still learning how they sound!

tell me what you think, just a work in progress for the fun of it really!!!

UPDATED, UPDATED MIX:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/369408/I Am The War 5.mp3

original:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/369408/I Am The War 3.mp3

Yeah, there is definitely too much low-end energy going on. I'm rocking cans too, as it's 3am, so I can't give any overly detailed criticisms. The kick has too much going on at around 70 to 100 , and the bass guitar is sinking back and muddying the mix. If you get the kick and bass right, I think the mix will start to open up and you can focus on other elements, such as midrange appropriation. The next place I'd hit would be the guitar tone. There seems to be a range in the high mids, giving them a sort of fizzy/grainy quality, rather than fat. Check 3 to 5k, see what you can do. Worst elements first!

Would be easier to hear what's going on with monitors, but for now that's what the cans are telling me. Best of luck dude.

yep ive already started notching out the 4k range on that mix as there is an annoying fizz, its amplitube afterall!! and yeah same with the bottom end, the new impulse is very scooped and i havent really eq'd that into place! cheers for checkin it out dude!

Hmmm I think the original is much uhh what's the word. Better?

Honestly I think you might have spent too much energy to make changes to the song when in fact you were a lot closer than you thought with the original

I'll make comments from the original.... I think the bass is really good but just to say a little too heavy. Your second pass sounded like to HPF way too far up. I'd say check your HPF and maybe re-adjust to 5% or 10% of the cut you made. I'd say set it to filter out 20-30hz at a medium slope.

Maybe boost 220hz on the snare to give some front end on the nose and then a nice honk @ 900-1.5k with some point at 2k-2.5k. Sounds a little hard on the 5k you have. I'd attenuate that just a little.

Your guitars are band on... I wouldn't change that... I'd work on the drums around that. Maybe add a little ambience on the snare? A nice room perhaps to make it sound a little more explosive....

That's just my opinion.

Good luck

cheers for the input dude, ill have a rethink about the bottom end then, thats where i tend to mess up alot! and yeah i need to work on the snare, its just a snare 3aZ3 without any ambience really!

gnna go back to the original mix and have another go!

updated mix, tweaked the bottom again (went back to the original and sorted that out) the kicks getting there. still need to work on the snare, and spend more time on the bass (of which i dropped out some of the 80Hz region) but im callin it a night with regards mixing, as ive been doin guitar editing and reamping for my mate all day today so im sick of PT for the time being! :)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/369408/I Am The War 5.mp3