New Vision Divine album is quite excellent...

General Zod said:
LOL. You're hardly the first person to say that.

I think you missed what I was saying. My problem with them isn't the detail they put into their music or the quality of their musicianship. My problem is with the song quality. I think it's average.

I wasn't aware that you needed tenure to have an opinion.:loco:

Again, opinions vary. As I said, I don't think they're a clone, by any means (which I stated previously). However, if I was going to describe Vision Divine to someone who had never heard them, SX is definitely a band I'd use as a reference point. Both bands write music that is a blend of Prog and Power Metal, with an underlying Rock influence. Both bands prominantly feature strong, melodic vocals up front in the mix. The main songwriter in both bands lists Yngwie as a primary influence and both vocalist list Glenn Hughes as an influence. Look, comparing the two is hardly a stretch. I think you'll find very few Vision Divine fans who aren't already SX fans. Case in point... you.

Zod

I believe I understand where you're coming from with your comments. My suggestion to you in regards to this band, if you haven't done so already, is to give Stream Of Consciencess a few spins. To me it's a stronger album than The Perfect Machine and the melodies are close to impeccable, IMO! Stream is a fantastic place to start with Vision Divine.

In all fairness to you, The Perfect Machine is more cut and dry/standard, than Stream of Conscienceness is. IMO, Stream stands out as one of the greats within the progpower metal genre. Hopefully, the band will have a similar effect on you after hearing Stream a couple of times.

edgeofthorns said:
I believe I understand where you're coming from with your comments. My suggestion to you in regards to this band, if you haven't done so already, is to give Stream Of Consciencess a few spins. To me it's a stronger album than The Perfect Machine and the melodies are close to impeccable, IMO! Stream is a fantastic place to start with Vision Divine.
Cool. Will do.

edgeofthorns said:
In all fairness to you, The Perfect Machine is more cut and dry/standard, than Stream of Conscienceness is. IMO, Stream stands out as one of the greats within the progpower metal genre. Hopefully, the band will have a similar effect on you after hearing Stream a couple of times.
As I noted yesterday, my last spin of "The Perfect Machine" was definitely my favorite. Hopefully they're growing on me a bit.

Zod

How is Stream of Consciousness considered less cut and dry and more progresive than the new one, The Perfect Machine? This boggles my mind.

Even if you like Stream of Consciousness more, The Perfect Machine is much more complex in its arrangements. SoC has plenty of songs that are standard fair power metal... whereas TPM has none like that.

The Michael

I wasn't all that impressed with SOC when it first came out, but I put it back in recently and man, some excellent material there! One of those that takes awhile to get into but well worth the effort. Somehow TPM hit me quicker, was a bit more immediately accessible...

Don't get me wrong, I really love both albums quite a bit. And I agree that Stream of Consciusness is harder to get into. I believe this has more to do with the vocals than the music.

Michele's vocal melodies play so well with the music, it's just amazing. I think that is why The Perfect Machine is more "accessible." There are so many different vocal sections with different melodies... and there's just so many notes being sung... not just one note wailing (which was my problem with the first Pyramaze album). When we listen to albums we tend to hear the vocals first. There's really a lot of uplifting sections in every song that aren't just limited to the chorus. It's hard not to love it on first listen.

But from a detail perspective, the new album offers more to enjoy long term as well. Vision Divine didn't experiment with instrumental sections and different keyboard sounds like they did on the new one. Just listen to the title track's keyboard build up in the instrumental section... or the theme and variation instrumental section reminding of old-school Enchant (with their trademark guitar/keyboard build up) in "Ancestors' Blood." Nearly every song has ballad moments, speed metal moments, theatrical Savatage style moments, Eldritch inspired instrumental moments, underneath some of the best vocal melodies I've heard on any album.

So when Zod uses the "standard power metal" description for the second time, I just have to point out how wrong he is. I could name dozens of power metal bands (Nocturnal Rites, Dream Evil etc.) that have a power chord rhythm with maybe some keys for accent and vocals. This is "standard." What Vision Divine do may not be everybody's cup of tea but to say they are no different (especially on the new album) from any other power metal band is just silly.

It's always been a dream of mine to hear a Labyrinth style album with that class and elegance Olaf Thorsen taken in a more progish direction... and that's exactly what happened on the new one.

Anyhow, Mr. Zod, if you're persuaded by the debate here to get Stream of Consciousness, I'd recommend checking out "The Fallen Feather." That song is worth the price of that album alone. If you want me to send it to you it, just private message me.

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
Words cannot describe how happy I am to see them live this year... I am shitting my pants in delight

Uh... if that's a typical reaction for you, please make sure you're not standing near me when Vision Divine comes on at ProgPower... :lol:

@Michael TEOF... perhaps in your zeal to make your point, you've accidentally misquoted me. Perhaps you've done so on purpose. I'm more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. However, I'd appreciate it if you not continue to do so.

Michael TEOF said:
So when Zod uses the "standard power metal" description for the second time, I just have to point out how wrong he is.
I have never once described Vision Divine as "standard power metal", much less twice. So please, do not attribute things to me, and go so far as to put these things in quotes, when I've never, ever said them.

From your same paragraph, that begins "So when Zod...

Michael TEOF said:
What Vision Divine do may not be everybody's cup of tea but to say they are no different from any other power metal band is just silly.
Once again, I never said that Vision Divine "are no different from any other power metal band." I've never even called them a "Power Metal band". The only time I've ever described their sound, I did so by saying, they were a "blend of Prog and Power Metal, with an underlying Rock influence."

Michael TEOF said:
Anyhow, Mr. Zod, if you're persuaded by the debate here to get Stream of Consciousness, I'd recommend checking out "The Fallen Feather." That song is worth the price of that album alone. If you want me to send it to you it, just private message me.
Thanks for the offer. I have the MP3s at home. I will check them out.

Zod

Michael TEOF said:
How is Stream of Consciousness considered less cut and dry and more progresive than the new one, The Perfect Machine? This boggles my mind.

Even if you like Stream of Consciousness more, The Perfect Machine is much more complex in its arrangements. SoC has plenty of songs that are standard fair power metal... whereas TPM has none like that.

The Michael

The Perfect Machine is a great disc, so don't misunderstand me. I would've not bought it if it wasn't, so I'm already a fan. With that said, I feel like Stream of Conscieceness is a stronger effort. I'm a vocal/melody guy, so I always look for strong hooks and melodies in my music regardless of the genre. IMO, you can't beat Streams when it comes to this. Circus Maximus is another great example of what I'm referring to. The First Chapter has fantastic hooks/melodies/arrangements. In other words, The First Chapter and Streams of Conscienceness are masterpieces to me!

With all of that said, I feel like The Perfect Machine lack's a little compared to Streams.

Michael TEOF said:
Michele's vocal melodies play so well with the music, it's just amazing. I think that is why The Perfect Machine is more "accessible." There are so many different vocal sections with different melodies... and there's just so many notes being sung... not just one note wailing (which was my problem with the first Pyramaze album). When we listen to albums we tend to hear the vocals first. There's really a lot of uplifting sections in every song that aren't just limited to the chorus. It's hard not to love it on first listen.

The Michael

That's wild, because I get the total opposite! :loco: I feel like Streams of Conscienceness is more accessible due to Michele's vocal melodies than The Perfect Machine is. Regardless, Vision Divine has put out two fine albums! :headbang:

I've listened to many, many samples & mp3's but they just do nothing for me. There is nothing in their music that makes me want to investigate further, and surely nothing that would motivate me to make a purchase. Glad so many are happy VD will be at PP this year, but, to me(I put that in bold just to emphasize that it is only my opinion), they do sound fairly generic.

General Zod said:
See, my problem with them is, they don't stand out. They sound like so many bands following the path beaten down by SX.

Zod

That was the second time. You said something similar the first time as well. I don't feel like deleting text to get the first quote, but if you read it, it's there.

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
That was the second time. You said something similar the first time as well. I don't feel like deleting text to get the first quote, but if you read it, it's there.
Saying "they don't stand out" isn't the same as saying they are "standard power metal". For starters, my statement makes no mention, nor does it even allude to what genre I think they fit into.

When you put something in quotations and attribute it to someone, it's expected that it's word for word what the person said. You claimed to be quoting me, but attributed statements to me that I never made.

Zod

I don't know - I don't hear any Symphony X in Vision Divine at all. I don't think they sound similiar in any aspect besides the general progressive nature in parts of VD's songs.

And I do love both bands! :)

edgeofthorns said:
I disagree with you. IMO, Michele's accent adds character to his voice. The guy can just flat out sing, that's all there is to it! A poor man's Symphony X? I don't get X out of Vision Divine at all! They're without a doubt a band who is very talented, as well as a lead vocalist who stands out in the genre. Hopefully, you'll change your mind about them after seeing them live. I really dig them, can't you tell? :)

A good example would be on "La Vita Fugge" off of SOC. Towards the end of the song the last line is... "Always be late......." Mr. Luppi holds a note for about 5 sec. and then goes up another octave for another 10 sec. When I first heard this, I was like... ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Holy crap!! Awesome.

Can't wait to pick up The Perfect Machine. Can't wait to see them live....

Just recently picked this up in one of my latest hauls, and spinning it in my car....I like the sound of it, the musicianship is great, but having a hard time liking the vocalist. It's weird...I usually like singers similar to him, but ... ? Note this is the only one I have by these guys. Not giving up yet, and definitely looking forward to seeing them...