New Waves CLA Video - Compression plug-ins demo

Listening on my Adams there is a clear as day difference between the two mp3s. The CLA mp3 example seems to stick together as a track whereas in the other one things are popping out everywhere. It sounds like a mix that will translate better on different systems, far more hi-fi friendly I reckon. Still, I cant be wasting more cash of this sum size on digital assets for the time being.

hey anyone know that band? i didnt understand the name!

could any one who knows their myspace post it over here please? they sound awesome as doughtry!

So How does Purchasing work online? It doesn't Look like there's anything to consider Currency or Location.

Is that $800 USD? How Much are they if I live in Australia?

this video makes me realize how terrible my drum tracking room sounds. My overheads/room mic sounds NOTHING like that....so dead by comparison.
I guess thats what spending thousands of dollars on getting someone to design out a room for you does(not to mention the amount of $ it actually takes to build said room)

You think YOU have a bad drum room? Well, you'd shit bricks if you saw mine... hah :D And as the moron I am, I'm STILL refusing to program drums :O

Was watching this again.. and I just realised how absolutely perfect every raw track is. Its quite amazing. Most people here (and probably all, with the amount of people in metal trying to play what they can't) spend forever fixing things in the mix, etc. but these tracks, honestly I would push up all the faders and have NO IDEA what to do because it all sounds so goddamn good. Especially that guitar track, that saturation is just gorgeous.

That's part of the reason I get stuck with reamps and the like here. It's hard to describe to people that you need something like that, which is pretty much good to go, with a few minor tweaks.

You have to realize though that these tracks are printed with outboard, and then treated even more by CLA on the way over to the 2254. His assistants round everything off and comp it down to 48 tracks on the board, so CLA can just push the faders up and go.

Was watching this again.. and I just realised how absolutely perfect every raw track is. Its quite amazing. Most people here (and probably all, with the amount of people in metal trying to play what they can't) spend forever fixing things in the mix, etc. but these tracks, honestly I would push up all the faders and have NO IDEA what to do because it all sounds so goddamn good. Especially that guitar track, that saturation is just gorgeous.

a really fucking big +1
too bad he didnt do something with bass in the video

I'm giving serious thought to shooting these out against a silverface Urei 1176 and two Purple Audio clones we have at the studio.

Seriously. Everyone in this thread keeps mentioning how the plug-ins sound better than anything they've heard. The plugs sound like they do their job, but the frickin tracks sound amazing even in bypass.

Just a heads up guys, I did a soft-rock mix from scratch using these plug-ins. I used them as much as I could get away with in the mix! 1176s all over drums, and one on main vox. LAs are all over the guitars, keys and backing vox. So easy to dial. Anyway, you're free to draw your own conclusions (beware, I've over-limited the mix like the tard I am).

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/ermz-jamontoastmix-nomaster.mp3

Just a heads up for anyone interested to check out the Softube FET compressor as a very good alternative,
it does everything the 1176 does (thats what its based on i believe) including the all buttons in trick plus a bit more.
The softube guys are really good at what they do (they made the abbey road Plugins and TC electronic CL1B too), plus of course the marvelouse Metal Amp Room and Bass Amp Rooms

No i dont work for them :)

I took a listen to Softube's shootouts with the real thing and to be honest the plug-in didn't sound like it grabbed the source material as well.

I have the plugin and i think its awesome, better than the powercore and bomb factory versions,
I dont have a UAD to try their effort though.
Well worth a demo download anyway rather than just listening to the website examples.

Their CL1B plug-in is available in native now. Everyone seems to be going crazy over it.

Anyway I just tried the CLA plug-ins side by side with the Stillwell Rocket and PSP Old Timer.

The LA2A and LA3A absolutely OWNED the Old Timer. I couldn't believe it man. On backing vox the LA-2A really is like a warm blanket. It doesn't even sound like you're compressing, and I had it up on 10dB GR. It's so smooooooth.

On Snare the LA2A grabbed the transient like analogue. The LA3A squished it and brought a sort of 'harder' edge to the LA2A type sound. Similar, but in some ways different. I preferred the LA2A. The Old Timer just had that typical high mid 'tick' transient grab, while not adding any significant sustain or body on the back end. It was amazing just how different they were - and I tried the Old Timer across basically the entire range of 'Time' settings!

In terms of the 1176 blacky vs the Stillwell Rocket, there isn't a HUGE difference, but I did notice that the Rocket does really seem to emphasize subs. The 1176 seems to 'crush' the source more, and just generally pump the hell out of everything, whilst otherwise being relatively transparent to your material. The Rocket seems to mangle it from a frequency point of view, and isn't in some ways as 'pure' as the 1176. For the money though, it can't be beat.

So if I can get the Softube CL1B and shoot that out against the CLAs and Old Timer that will probably tell me what the next purchase needs to be.

I just can't stress enough how the LA2A and LA3A sounded like they were grabbing the transient and adding body like analogue. It reminded me a bit of how my GSSL acts, though obviously in different ways. Saying they sound 'musical' is probably the best way to put it.

Seriously. Everyone in this thread keeps mentioning how the plug-ins sound better than anything they've heard. The plugs sound like they do their job, but the frickin tracks sound amazing even in bypass.

If I understand the video correctly the tracks are from Brian Howes? That means that his engineer J.V.P. (his real name is Jay VanPoederooyen) tracked it all in brians' studio called Van Howes Studios in Vancouver.

JVP is probably pretty unknown to everyone on here, but in Vancouver he's a well known engineer. I know he uses 121 and 421 on guitars, and almost all their guitar tones are done with Marshall amps.....

Have any of you guys tried the Massey CT4 compressor? It's definitely a good value, I think it's only around $70. I've been using the demo, so far I like it. It's pretty simple, easy to get a good sound out of. I'm curious as to how it holds up against the Old Timer or even the CLA ones.

I've been intensely listening to the Softube FET and CL1B samples against the hardware counterparts and something always sounds wrong. It's usually the attack. It's a bit too forward and 'dry'. It doesn't have the same grabbing factor that the hardware does. The compression in someways just feels less moving and musical. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case with the CL1B, but it does seem to be. As much as people rave, it doesn't sound like it captures all the nuances of the hardware. And for the money, it feels like it well ought to!

I wish I could compare the CLA plugs against the real deal, but from what I compared and heard today, they pretty much sounded like analogue to me.