New way of cabinet impulse extraction

deLuther

Aug 2, 2007
Russia

Definitely not the best sound (as mentioned in video), maybe shitty, think of it just like about technology demonstration. This amp was chosen just for simplicity of demonstration.
Maybe I should play something with screamer to get tighter sound, but it`s not so principal.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't bother watching the whole stuff but here's what I do (which I think is quite similar but skip the power amp section coloration entirely):

1 Play any DI through an amp using your regular settings. A small 10s section is enough, preferably something busy with some palm muting to get a good representation of the low end.

2 Record the mic'ed signal on track A

+ Re'cord the speaker out signal (with an appropriate DI that can handle this type of signal, for example Type 85 inserted between the head and the cabinet) on track B

3 Export both tracks separately making sure they are the exact same length.

4 Open Voxengo deconvolver and use the speaker out signal as a test tone and the mic'ed signal as a target.

Check MP transform and silence (I think 00.4 sec is a good enough length for accuracy)

5 Deconvolve. Done.

I think Wild Hades of Ignite Amps came with the idea first.

I think that Voxengo Deconvolver using Fourier transform for whole file, while MatcherCL uses averaging (like Ozone or CurveEQ, but with larger block size), sliding frame with KBD window (Welch analysis). There are no special requirements for files, just sample rates must be the same. I.e. MatcherCL is replacement for Deconvolver :)

Oh, didn't realize you were involved in the project, are you? Sorry that might have come off as rude.

Oh, didn't realize you were involved in the project, are you? Sorry that might have come off as rude.
No problem :)

Video was made to explain how simple process of such deconvolution can be for end user, so more people can made impulses from interesting gear, while conventional approaches usually frighten most users.

Haha I trust you, but it's what avira says.
I'll try it, looks an interesting tool.
Thank you!

New version, changed command line parameters handling, added some parameters to play with (see readme).
Link deleted due to bug in multichannel convolution.

Thanks for sharing your program, deLuther. I want to give it a try. In the video it sounds amazingly accurate to the source sound. How is it different from Voxengo Deconvolver? Are the files deconvolved in a different way?

Thanks for sharing your program, deLuther. I want to give it a try. In the video it sounds amazingly accurate to the source sound. How is it different from Voxengo Deconvolver? Are the files deconvolved in a different way?
I`m explained difference before:
I think that Voxengo Deconvolver using Fourier transform for whole file, while MatcherCL uses averaging (like Ozone or CurveEQ, but with larger block size), sliding frame with KBD window (Welch analysis). There are no special requirements for files, just sample rates must be the same. I.e. MatcherCL is replacement for Deconvolver :)
MatcherCL works in the way like Ozone or CurveEQ matching, but has larger processing block (can be changed) and produces impulse directly from spectrums, in double precision. You can set version 0.2 to have blocks larger than input file, in that case it can be more similar to Deconvolver.