New York style, New York state of mind ... = ?

Religious extremist? Wow. I'm no Rick Perry supporter, the man is a sleazeball politician, who is horrible on the border and wants to give amnesty to illegal immigrants. Not to mention he was once Al Gore's campaign manager, but religious extremist?!?!

The definition of extremist is pretty meaningless now I guess.

You know what?

Yer right, bro. It was a bit harsh of me. It's just a lot of people I've met from Texas have been Rick Perry cookie cutters. And a lot of people's opinions of TX come from that attitude, much like people's attitudes of irritating NFL fans comes a lot from Packers fans (as a Packers fan, it's a mostly fair cop). But yeah, that Xian-neocon-Texan thing rubs me the wrong way, and it's not fair to say that all of TX is like that. Sorry man. (FYI, not sarcastic, genuine)

And tex-mex food does kick ass, as does good BBQ brisket.

But you guys can keep Perry. :lol:

It's all good mang! Perry is a fucking lame ass butthole licker. You are right though there are many people that think like him otherwise he wouldn't have been elected gov so many goddamn times. The hispanic vote has to help a lot with that though.
Living in houston gives me a much brighter perspective on the whole state I think. We've got a pretty good mix here. Great food from all kinds of cultures.

Unfortunately I have to agree though that TX has a lot of backwards thinking assholes. It wouldn't have the image it does if it didn't have folks like that.
That was one of the things Kinky Friedman wanted to work on but unfortunately you can't be a forward free thinking politician and make it. Thats why Bachman and Perry get all the press while Ron Paul gets shunned.

The definition of extremist is pretty meaningless now I guess.

Yeah I guess that was a very reactionary way to put it. I had just read a article about him that pissed me off royally. It was a typo though. I meant to say "extremely oppressive". He does let his religious beliefs govern his decisions even though it infringes on what should be the rights of others.

On the lighter side, we (Wisconsin) finally have a decent baseball team! Shit, it's only taken us 29 years! And if we make it to the Series (big "if," I've been burned by this team MANY times) the Brewers will be the first team to go representing both the National & American (1982) leagues.

So if you all are ever up here, go to the stadium & grab a Leinies & bratwurst w/stadium sauce. THAT is the true taste of WI, excluding friday fish frys.

On the lighter side, we (Wisconsin) finally have a decent baseball team! Shit, it's only taken us 29 years! And if we make it to the Series (big "if," I've been burned by this team MANY times) the Brewers will be the first team to go representing both the National & American (1982) leagues.

So if you all are ever up here, go to the stadium & grab a Leinies & bratwurst w/stadium sauce. THAT is the true taste of WI, excluding friday fish frys.

I hope the Brewers have a good 1B in their minor league system because Prince is probably gone after the season.

Excuse me, but I'd like return to the above mentioned Carlin's quote. I shoulda probably posted the whole thing instead of short version, that's why it might have upset some of us. The tirade ends this way:
"...California: bordering always on the Pacific and sometimes on the ridiculous. So, why do I live here? Because the sun goes down a block from my house."
Isn't it fucking poetic or romantic, or whatever... beautiful? Especially, when coming from that old and angry prick. Except, he wasn't really angry...
That's for you a segment of a typical NY attitude: first, they might make fun of you, but at the end they'll give whatever credit you deserve. Carlin, again, just did in his magnificently exaggerating manner.

I hope the Brewers have a good 1B in their minor league system because Prince is probably gone after the season.

As much as it pains me to say so, you're probably right. I don't see Fielder staying next year, as rumor has it he was insulted that they gave so much cash to Ryan Braun and not him. Plus Sabbathia has been pestering Fielder about joining the Yankees.

I have no idea if we have a decent 1B, but I do know we've traded a lot of our farm system away the past couple of years for pitching. Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, and Eric Gagne left a bad ring around the team with their sub-par tossing.

Excuse me, but I'd like return to the above mentioned Carlin's quote. I shoulda probably posted the whole thing instead of short version, that's why it might have upset some of us. The tirade ends this way:
"...California: bordering always on the Pacific and sometimes on the ridiculous. So, why do I live here? Because the sun goes down a block from my house."
Isn't it fucking poetic or romantic, or whatever... beautiful? Especially, when coming from that old and angry prick. Except, he wasn't really angry...
That's for you a segment of a typical NY attitude: first, they might make fun of you, but at the end they'll give whatever credit you deserve. Carlin, again, just did in his magnificently exaggerating manner.

I've always thought Carlin was a comedic genius.

As much as it pains me to say so, you're probably right. I don't see Fielder staying next year, as rumor has it he was insulted that they gave so much cash to Ryan Braun and not him. Plus Sabbathia has been pestering Fielder about joining the Yankees.

I have no idea if we have a decent 1B, but I do know we've traded a lot of our farm system away the past couple of years for pitching. Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, and Eric Gagne left a bad ring around the team with their sub-par tossing.

I don't see the Yankees signing Fielder. Tex is at first and A-Rod is their future at DH. Montero is probably going to be their full time DH/backup catcher next season.

I think Prince is more likely to end up in Chicago with the Cubs or in St Louis if Pujols signs elsewhere.

It depends on who you ask. Of the cheap shit there's Lone Star which has a long heritage but is however no longer brewed by a central brewery. Pabst contracts it out to breweries like the Miller Brewery in Ft Worth. It's an American Lager or Cream Ale like Budweiser. It's not bad and TX would probably be willing to secede if the feds tried to shut it down.

Of the "craft" breweries I'd say Spoetzl's Shiner is the most "traditional" It was founded by a German immigrant and eventually bought out by another dude. Pretty weak bock but its many people's gateway into craft beer so that's alright with me. I dislike the stuff but it's pretty popular. They also have many other styles they brew with some less traditional stuff like Cheer which is made with pecans and peaches and Ruby Redbird with TX ruby red grapefruit and ginger.

My personal favorite is Southern Star brewery which is located in Conroe TX about 1-2 hours from Houston depending on where you start. They opened with their Pine Belt Pale Ale in 2008 with a brewer from Houston's St Arnold Brewery (also not bad) becoming master brewer. They brew my new staple beer which is Bombshell Blonde. Super awesome good beer and the Buried Hatchet Stout will knock your socks off!

There's quite a few more craft breweries in TX as well. But I'll cut myself off. This was a hard question to answer but I gave it my best! If you ever try any of this stuff let me know what you think!

Edit: I guess to clarify that I should point out Shiner and Lone Star although not being my faves are Top selling TX beers. Other than the big companies of course.
I also forgot to point a finger to cerveza. Being as close as we are to Mexico we have a huge selection of imports. Corona being the top seller. Dos XX being my fave.
With the large Hispanic population they're pretty traditional too ;)

Thanks a lot, some cool advice there! An interesting read, mate! :headbang:

I am afraid though where I am living (Cologne, Germany), I must have to wait trying out beer from Texas. Maybe you can order it on the Internet?! :lol:

Cardinals? CUBS??!!??

Ouch.

Man, yer breaking my heart. :lol:

Sorry Sarge. I would actually love to see Prince stay with Milwaukee as I love the team that they've built up. I also don't want to see the Yankees sign any more high priced free agents. I'm one of the very few Yankees fans that would rather see them build up through their farm system. They've got 3 really good arms in the minors and hopefully they can dump Burnett on some unsuspecting NL team (maybe they can trade him to Arizona and get Ian Kennedy back?).