Newport Music Hall

Unbelievable show, as expected. I don't know how they do it, but this band continues to get better and better each and everytime I see them. This was my third time and it was the best, easily.

The setlist was the same as the other shows, I was thrilled beyond belief to finally hear them do Demon of the Fall live, both of the other times I seen them they finished with Deliverance.

Mike was his usual funny self. The highlight of his comedy for me was when he was talking about the venue not having showers and then replied "hello ladies". haha. Then he said "We need some females to lick the sweat from our bodies after the show". Your always bound to hear Mike say something memorable.

Besides finally hearing Demon of the Fall live, the highlight of the night was the blast beat that Ax has added into the last measure of "Wreath". My God, I thought I was going to shit myself when he broke into that, it made an already brutal moment of the song that much more intense. I can't believe no one has mentioned him doing that yet (or perhaps someone has and I missed it, regardless...AWESOME!)

Opeth... you guys as a collective are the most amazing thing going in music today, it was great to see the Newport packed to the rafters (1000+ crowd). For a band that plays this type of music and is able to bring a crowd like this, it is a testament to the greatness and quality of your art. THANK YOU Mike and all of the other guys in Opeth for doing what you do!

I am seriously gonna shit if they play Demon of the Fall.
They played it and I have proof (snuck in a camcorder), you better of shat yourself.

I almost shat myself while walking down high st. No dude in that town has an excuse for not getting pussy.

DEATH TO LOUD CUNTS AT OPETH SHOWS WHO WOULD RATHER HEAR THEMSELVES THEN THE FUCKING MUSAK!!!! LOOK AT ME IM LOUD! I ALSO KNOW HOW TO CLAP DURING SONGS THOUGH MY RHYTHM IS A BIT OFF, THEN AGAIN SO IS MY WAY OF THINKING THE GHOST REVERIES FAN SAID.

PS, to the dude who offered me a $10 check for my extra ticket (I just gave it to him for free), your lucky I was in a good mood and didnt require you to blow me for being such a goddamn fool. Checks are so not metal dude.

i had a great time at the show. ive seen Opeth many times, but this was up there as one of my favorites. GREAT set list. Unfortunitly during Opeth's rise in popularity they have gained a lot of retarded fans that should be moshing at a lamb of god show, not an opeth show. But thats ok.

btw Whos the dude i was talking to in line. He came with his dad, and he just got a Mac to use pro tools?? Im sure your on here!

Mike was his usual funny self. The highlight of his comedy for me was when he was talking about the venue not having showers and then replied "hello ladies". haha. Then he said "We need some females to lick the sweat from our bodies after the show".
You sure he said body and not balls? I was close/losing my hearing so maybe Im wrong. After he said that, I could not help but to yell that I would. That is if he said balls, I love me some rock star sweaty balls.

The show mos def kicked ass minus loud mouthed idiots who think their blah is more important than the wonderful noise that Opeth creates.

Unfortunitly during Opeth's rise in popularity they have gained a lot of retarded fans that should be moshing at a lamb of god show, not an opeth show. But thats ok.
I think Im gonna have to agree with this. Usually Im the one that says fuck off if you dont like me slam dancing but for some reason Opeth is different to me, well with exception the encore, DEMON OF THE FALL!!!!!! I think for me, I choose to not get so crazy at an Opeth show because I enjoy them so much that I really have no desire to put my focus on anything but their musak and my :headbang: headbanging :headbang: God my fucking neck hurts.

The show was great, they played very tight and Mikael was on top of his comedy game. I laughed when Mikael said "There is no showers in the venue, so we need some female volunteers to come backstage and lick the sweat off our balls" LOL. Also when Mikael was talking about Fredrik he said "His guitar is like an extension of his penis, he will now jerk off for you" LOL. Someone there threw a shirt at Mikael and he picked it up and said "Thank you, I will use it tonight when I take care of myself in my bunker tonight" LOL. Overall it was one of the best shows ever.

Setlist...not in order

The lotus eater
Wreath
The night and the silent water
Godhead Lament
Closure (extended awesome psychedelic version)
Hessian peel
Ghosts of perdition
Demon of the fall(encore)

hail Opeth the best band in the world.

Enslaved was boring compared to Opeth, their new music just doesn't capture my interest.

The show was amazing. Opeth was the best I have seen them, this was my third time.

I also gotta say that Enslaved was incredible! I think a lot of fans there were pleasantly surprised at the quality of these guys. Who were the morons that kept yelling for Opeth between every song? I thought that was extremely rude, considering impressive Enslaved were.

btw Whos the dude i was talking to in line. He came with his dad, and he just got a Mac to use pro tools?? Im sure your on here!

Indeed I'm here lol. I figured you'd post. Set list disappoint you? I told you it was a good one!

Show was STELLAR!!! I bought an extra ticket to take my fiance but she couldn't make it because her fish tank went down and all of her exotic fish were dying. SO to aleviate going by me lonesome I asked my dad to tag along. He's seen Mastodon with me, Metallica too, but never a REALLY heavy band.

Knowing this I watched him most of the night: He couldn't believe how amazing Opeth was. When we left he was going crazy about how talented and different they were. It was pretty cool to see my old man so stoked about it.

Set was amazing: ESPECIALLY watching Axe play his new interpretations on Wreath, TNATSW, and DOTF. The closure jam was amazing, and Hessian Peel stole the whole night.

Mike was a riot. He introduced everyone then when he got to himself he goes : "Me? I'm god. I'm him. You have all been blessed here tonight..... Ok some of you are going to take that seriously.... You're going to get me in deep shit." lmao.

Also, I got assaulted by a guy with a camcorder who asked me about the show, Axe, Fred, and Opeth's place in music. I gave coherent, articualte, and decent points. We'll see if I end up on a DVD. That'd be neat.

To add:

There was this MEGA ANNOYING foreign guy standing behind me who kept yelling, louder than I thought any human could yell "MMIIIIKKKKKKAEEEEEELLLL!!!!!"

I was going to fucking kill him. PS! If you're standing on a balcony, QUIT LEANING OVER AND DRIPPING YOUR SWEAT ON THE LEVEL BELOW YOU! GROSS AS FUCK!

Only probs with the show^

Set:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Wreath
Closure (amazing jam, everyone got a solo, better than a DT jam honestly!)
The Night and The Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
:break: (shorter than normal for them: crowd was going NUTS)
Demon of the Fall

Mike told some kind of story about dudes with long hair being called chicks, and I laughed at my cousin because we call him a chick all the time. It's like a running gag we've had. I thought Enslaved's joke was funny... Why did the Swedes take the car door out into the desert.... incase it got too hot, they could roll down the window. :)

Awesome show! Sucked that me and the cousin were at an angle where we could only see mike, and barely fred, the other guys were all behind the big black speaker structure. They played Wreath, Hessian Peel, Godhead's Lament, Karma... It was incredible. We could barely hear Mike's growls but his clean vocals were blowing the speakers out... really weird way they had it mixed I guess. :)

The morons who kept yelling for Opeth during Enslaved were like right next to me, I was about to kick their asses but I looked at them angrily and they stopped. They were standing on the benches that we had sat on like a couple of douchebags. Hey, I thought Enslaved put on an awesome show. I was never really into them but they were great live. Man, nothing compares to the live show. The speakers weren't so loud that they hurt your ears but they were loud enough to vibrate your clothes and ribcage.

This show was seriously fun. The crowd seemed particularly enthusiastic - and so did the band. (Except for Per, but I've never seen him show very much emotion).
I agree, the setlist was good. It was my 10th time seeing them, and this was the first time they DID NOT play The Drapery Falls. So that was a nice change.
Karma was fucking awesome. It was good to hear that song in a new way. It was better than the recording. ...And Mike and Fredrick's vocal harmony was super cool.
I thought the guitars and keys were mixed too low. Anyone agree or disagree? There was too much bass drum. I've noticed this with Opeth before. Perhaps they should take note of this?
That quote about licking sweat; I think he said, "we need females to lick the sweat from our BUTTS." Not bodies or balls. That's what I heard anyway.
I really like the jam on Closure too. It seems they added their previous jam as a standard live part, and added another jam before that one now! Jam and a half!
DisappearingSun, you said the jam was better than a DT jam. Do you mean Derek Trucks? If so, that's quite bold claim, but I won't argue too much. They're just completely different.
I like the Newport though. I saw Opeth there back in '03. It is kind of hot, but I can't complain too much since there is cold 32 oz Columbus Pale Ale on tap for $7.25.
Enslaved was also fucking rockin'! I don't see why someone would like Opeth, but not Enslaved!?!!? I wish they would have played longer. I think their set was only 45 minutes or so? Does anyone know exactly?
Mike was hilarious.

Thanks Opeth!
Thanks other fans for creating some good energy!

HEAVY METALLLL!!!

following up my post earlyer. Reflecting, and how i felt right after the gig was that it was probably my favorite opeth setlist ive seen (aside from wreath), everything just fell into place. Seeing as i rarly listen to opeth nowadays (or metal for that matter), and that i have seen opeth something like 8 or 9 times i couldnt be happier.

I hope the boys record another record and tour soon, because this was a very memerable show for me. and DisappearingSun indeed it was a great set! haha you were right! Do you have aim or anything?

i think some of you guys might be on this youtube video..

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested, Enslaved played the following (not in order):

Clouds
To the Coast
Ground
Fusion of Sense and Earth
As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
Isa

I know I'm missing a couple here, can anyone else fill in the missing? They played for 45 minutes.

Hahah! The first guy on the video is that drunk bastard who sat next to us and kept telling us he thought the shirtless guitarist from Enslaved was hot. Looks like he calmed down a bit after his 7th beer. "Pretty sweet man" heh... that's the least Opeth praise he said all night. He was talking our freaking ears off. He told us he was a physicist and in a band, he plays bass -- I shouldn't know this much about a complete stranger.

P.S. "As Fire Swept Clean the Earth" the only Enslaved song I knew, so glad they played it, and their performance blew me away. \m/

But yeah, I don't mean to seem to be all "enslaved this, and that", but I really don't know how to put into words the way I feel after coming out of that Opeth show. It's been a few days now and I still don't know. I'm just going to go with stunned. So I'm sorry if I'm not all typical screaming fanboy style poster over here. :)