News Regarding Power of Omens

Dave - Power of Omens

some guitar player
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
powerofomens.com
To all of our devoted fans…

It comes with great sorrow, the news I’m about to bring you.

For almost 12 years, this band has consistently found ways to be unique and always move against the grain, never trying to follow in anyone’s shadow… but in doing so, the band also found itself always swimming upstream and against the current in trying to survive amongst all of the amazing bands that have been coming out year after year.

We’ve taken a lot of rough hits from losing our original bassist Matt Williamson to the US Army, losing our original drummer Alex Arellano to musical differences, to just about never having a full time keyboardist until these last few months with the addition of Joel Hopkins. However, our biggest blow was finding out this year that our original bassist, Matt was diagnosed with a terminal cancer that will probably be taking his life soon. So far we’ve been lucky enough to still have him around seeing as he’s already surpassed the doctor’s original diagnosis of not living more than 3 months as of January of this year. Between the chemotherapy, and Matt’s spirits, I truly believe that is what’s kept him around much longer than expected.

As many of you know, I moved to Dallas at the beginning of the year to be closer to the majority of the band, and we’ve been trying to work on the new material for a new CD.

Unfortunately, over the last several months the progress of this band continued to deteriorate in regards to our original plan of schedule to release the new CD by the summer… the lack of dedication and heart soon became extremely evident, not only in myself, but with everyone else. I personally kept looking back to a time when this band was fun, and enjoyable to play in…. a time when 4-5 rehearsals a week wasn’t a hindrance in everyone’s personal lives and schedules, but a chance to get together playing some great music, having fun, and forming a brotherly bond with each other. A time when everyone put in equally into this band. Now those times seem like they’re so far away. I miss so much what the band USED to be… and when Alex and Chris originally left, I thought I could continue forward with a revised version… but the truth is, Power of Omens was such a unique band, that it’s integrity was built by 4 guys almost 10 years ago… an integrity that can only be fueled by those same 4 guys. The passion that once created this band has altered so much from the first time we played together that it’s become clear to me that this has become a very scaled down version of the original Power of Omens.

I don't believe it's fair to the fans not to give you something like our first cd, which had 100% heart. Even Rooms of Anguish received less than good acclaim, and it was at that time that I realized that things were changing. I’ll admit that I’m not an easy person to work with when it comes to this band… but that’s only because it’s been my life for nearly 12 years, and it’s only natural to have extremely high expectations for anyone who becomes involved because it feels like your life is in their hands… and when those expectations are not met, then I feel like there is something that I need to do about it. So without going into additional details or specifics, it has come down to one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make in my entire life.

So with deep sorrow, and a broken heart… it’s time for me to lay Power of Omens to rest. No words can describe how sorry I am to have to bring this news to those who believed in us so much… but with the change in this band… it’s no longer worth the stress or the constant struggle to survive. I truly wish the rest of the guys in the band much luck and success with what ever they decide to do from this point out, as they are all amazing musicians… as I will continue with my acoustic venture, I hope they find happiness in what ever projects or endeavors they decide to follow as well.

~David Gallegos

Dave,

Sorry to hear this news! I'll certainly miss the opportunity to experience new music from PofO!!!

One of the most consistent things in life is change....whether we like it or not. ;)

Good luck to everyone in the band!!!! :worship:

Take care,
Stacy

You guys have been part of my life for 8 years now, and I love you all like family. Thank you for 8 years of wonderful friendship & excellent music..I love you all & wish you only joy and love and success in the future. PofO will always be a part of me.

Sorry to hear this news Dave! :cry:

I know that you have put your heart and soul into the band and understand how difficult it was for you to make that decision. You are an incredibly talented guitarist and I know that you can still come out and kick some ass! Who knows? Perhaps, you will find another band in the future that challenges you and makes you happy!

I also know that you were working with some talented guys there. I wish them all the luck in the future as well!

Are you coming to PP? If so, I hope to get the opportunity to hang out with you some!

Take care and good luck!

Dave, so sorry to hear about everything. i just had a close relative pass away from a terminal cancer, so i can understand to an extent what u and the guys must be going thru. its sad to have to say goodbye to Power of Omens. i can remember when i first heard "As Winter Falls" i can remember thinking, *wow this is one of my favorite songs already, just after one listen.* with any luck you'll pick it back up in a few years and continue to work on the new material. well i wish you and the guys all the best in the years to come.

I'm really sorry for you guys. I really hope things can get better for all of you. This news really brought me down, I was looking forward for the new Omens CD. I wish you guys all the best in everything, hang in there you still have fans that care.

Very sad news. I was really looking forward for a new POO release..nevertheless as some friends say "leave the past behind, the long road lies ahead". Good luck, and im sure the future can always be bright for so talented and full of inspiration musicians like you.

To all my brothas in Power of Omens,
I can remember the day when my brother and I were flipping out to 'The Eyes of the Oracle'. Just want you guys to know your music will live on forever to many of your fans and friends.
I'm really sorry to hear about Matt and wish him and his family nothing but the best.
I want to thank Power of Omens all the great music they shared with us and to the friendships Zero Hour has with Power of Omens.

Jasun and Troy

I saw the bulletin on Myspace earlier. Sad indeed for the band and the fans. I wish all of you the best, and good luck. On the bright side, maybe you can move from Dallas now. :)

Sad indeed, especially when one considers we were essentially only two songs away from a complete disc, yet seemingly couldn't come together if nothing else but for the long time fans that deserve it.

It's difficult to see (from my eyes) how I was part of a "scaled down" less dedicated version, especially when I'm not one splitting my time between various projects. But, when faced with life's schedules and responsiblities, personal differences outside of the band, ever changing goals, dissatisfaction with the original direction 3/4 of the way thru the project, or the realization that a band is a democracy, not studio musicians on the payroll- I'll whole heartedly agree with Dave that the stress involved made it difficult to focus on what needed to be done -at least for myself.

To me, the goal was clear- to provide the fans this time around with an updated, well rounded, more polished Power of Omens. At one point in time, that was something in which we all agreed.

It saddens me greatly that the fans won't hear what the band was evolving into, which I believe was a step in the right direction. Perhaps since myself, Joel, and Derron still see eye to eye there will still be a chance for those interested in hearing it, or at least something very close to it, for themselves.

I wish Dave only the best, his talent and style are truly unique and unsurpassed. I still consider him a friend and cannot express enough gratitude for him opening my eyes to a new world of music with P of O.

Thanks also to the fans for all your support over the years, and one never knows what lies ahead. :)

Chris H.

all I can say is Fuck... I believe thats the first time I've cursed on any forum.

To me PoO will go down as one of the most unique progressive metal bands around... I'll definitly miss not adding another PoO CD to my collection.

this is......really sad. I loved PoO. Damn it, this is really sad. I am sorry to hear this. I, too, was really looking forward to this new record. :cry: Dave, good luck with everything. I am going to sit and ponder this for awhile.

hey its cool, being a bands myself with close friends (or developing close friends in the process)... i see it the same way, and thats for the best. once it becomes toil and burdensome and loses the bond you shared in the beginning, sometimes its not worthing dragging through the mud over and over. some people play music just to get recognition (or a business like mentality) but sometimes nothing beats the experience of playing music strictly for the joy with people close. some people are lucky to get both... if not, the friendship side always outweighs the recognition 100 fold.

thats perfectly fine. we still got awesome music to listen to on the recordings and hopefully there will be new projects. you still write awesome riffs and cool structures... so never say never ... until then. thanks for the awesome music!

I am so sad to hear this news. You guys have been my favorite band since I was in high school 5 years ago. you guys were my soundtrack, and still are. Eyes of the Oracle is one of my prized possesions, and will stay that way. I was there for the pre-release hearing of Rooms of Anguish. My screen name was inspired by this band. I am very sorry to hear this, I am still taken aback.
I wish you all luck. Matt and his family will be in my prayers.