NFAD - JCM800 combo (the "F" stands for Free!) - Help Needed!

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm being given a Marshall JCM 800 100W Lead 2x12 Combo. I should get it in about a month or so.

What I can tell you about it:

It's about 15-20 years old, I should be able to look up the serial once I have it.

It's hardly ever been use as it was way too loud for him.

It's had the tubes replaced once about 12 years ago. He doesn't remember what brand.

It's the 4103 model which is supposed to be the same head as the standalone JCM 800 2203 head.

I've downloaded the manual from here:
http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#JCM800

So, here's where I show my noobishness, I know very little about valve amps. School me.

Should I replace the valves straight away? Is it even worth testing the existing ones? What should I get?

Do I need to bias the amp or use self bias tubes (I told you I don't know what I'm doing)?

This amps got what the manual calls a "DI output", volume is an issue for me, I'm wondering if this is any good for using with impulses?

Is there anything else I need to do to it maintenance wise before I get going?

I don't know if anyone else knows this amp and wants to throw some goodness my way.

I dont think any Marshalls are self biasing. If they are the original tubes you will probably want to replace them. My 800 doesnt have a DI out, not sure how that would sound...

Congrats, 800s are some of the best amps EVER made, IMO. I love mine!!

Actually just did some reading looks like it's doable if you're careful. This vid is pretty good

Last edited by a moderator: