NGD: BC Rich Marc Rizzo Stealth 7

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Jun 11, 2009
N.S.W. Australia
Before I post pics I'd like to talk about the guitar itself, so as to help out anyone trying to decide whether to pick one up or not.

Overall I think the build quality is very good, on price point you can't really go wrong here. There are some small imperfections that I noticed, namely uneven filing on the binding in a couple of spots, a small imperfection in the paintwork (it's not a ding or a chip just something weird that looks like someone painted over a tiny ding) on the longer leg (for lack of a better term) and a small chip in the recess behind the bridge. These are only very small issues and are by no means a deal breaker, it's just the kind of small inconsistency that comes with factory made guitars, though to their defence, I've heard of way worse issues on hand made, high end guitars.

Bridge, pickups and hardware are all what you would expect of their respective manufacturers, it's awesome to see the continued use of high end parts on upper mid-range guitars.

For reference, I have played on Ibanez necks exclusively for the last year yet had no trouble at all adjusting to the thickness of the stealth. I would definitely recommend this neck to anyone who gets hand cramps and stuff from thin necks but can't really do their thing on a Schecter size neck being that it sits somewhere between the 2 extremes, very comfy no matter what you're doing. It's worth mentioning that the action out of the box was wickedly low, perhaps too low as there was a pretty noticeable buzz in the low frets, which could be more indicative of needing a neck adjustment than the bridge being too low (because it wasn't too low at all).

Now on to the things that I didn't enjoy.

The strap button placement is all wrong. I have 2 wide rides straps with the "sticky" pad and there is plenty of neck dive, not to mention that it puts the guitar in a very strange position (for me) when standing. Thankfully due to being tucked reasonably out of sight, moving the bridge side strap button means the original hole is virtually invisible, so that's tomorrow's job.

I'm not really a floyd user (but I buy floyd/edge bridge guitars exclusively, I just can't get comfy on other bridge types), but before I locked it down (tremol-no represent!) I had a bit of a poke at the bridge. Tuning stability and everything was fine once I got it set up (7 days in transit with unlocked nut plates will make short work of even the best setup) but I found myself having to exert way too much force on the bridge to get basic squeals and dives going. Vibrato and slight accents were fine but I think this just comes with the territory of floyd 7's, keeping that low B tight and tasty takes a hefty amount of spring tension lest you wind the claw right into the body. Though I'm sure a frequent Floyd user would have no troubles at all getting used to this.

Upper fret access is a bit of a hot button issue with me, I play very much classical style so squishing my hand up is not something I enjoy or am comfortable doing. However the upper-fret drawback to this shape is obvious to anyone at first glance so it's almost not worth mentioning except to say that it's not really any worse than the M-II I used to own. Unpleasant on first impression but I'm sure once I get used to it I won't notice.

Lastly, one of the things that really turned me on to this guitar was the thought of having an EMG guitar again and running said EMGs at 18V. Much to my disappointment, you cannot fit 2 batteries inside the control cavity, even after removing the battery bracket, which led to me sitting down with a rasp and carving out the cavity so as to squeeze another battery in. So a little disappointing to not have a separate battery cavity but again nothing here that some experience with tools and some patience can't fix, so again no deal breakers here, especially if you own a dremel.

I bought this guitar to be my main stage guitar and replace my RG2127X as it is much too rare and special to suffer the slings and arrows of live abuse. The bang for buck here is on par with what you'd expect from it's competitors in Schecters and LTDs making it a fantastic guitar in all aspects, deceptively so for being under $USD1000.

With that out of the way, here are some pics.

P1010420.jpg

P1010419.jpg

P1010421.jpg

I think it's really strange that it's a Marc Rizzo signature-it looks like a perfect guitar
for Necrophagist fanboys :D Marc Rizzofor me is more like the dude playing next
to Max in Soulfly with a bag on his back...

All in all I like the specs of the guitar, I like the look, but I would never buy one due to the look
guitars like that just don't suit me ;) and that I just suck at using floyds.

I think it's really strange that it's a Marc Rizzo signature-it looks like a perfect guitar
for Necrophagist fanboys :D Marc Rizzofor me is more like the dude playing next
to Max in Soulfly with a bag on his back...

All in all I like the specs of the guitar, I like the look, but I would never buy one due to the look
guitars like that just don't suit me ;) and that I just suck at using floyds.

The dude playing next to Max who just happens to be a crazy shredder and an insane flamenco player. :oops:

yeah I know, but I can't get that image out of my head ;)
I actually watched like 2 hours of him playing some of his solo stuff on youtube last week ;)

I saw Soulfly at Gigantour a few years ago and Marc broke out this kickass double neck Musicman and went hell bent for kickass Spanish leather on the 12 string neck. I'd give anything to see that again.

Glad overall it's working out for ya dude, and hopefully repositioning the strap pin will take care of the neck dive!

hopefully repositioning the strap pin will take care of the neck dive!

I'm not sure theres anything that can be done about BC Rich neck-diving....... thats the reason I can't play my Ironbird standing up anymore; it actually hurts my neck/shoulder/back when I play it for any extended amount of time.

I'm going to try a new strap to see if that helps, but i know that BC Rich use maple necks with mahogany bodies, which creates a weight mismatch to begin with.

If you move the strap peg, please post your results/conclusions and where you moved it to, because your guitar is basically a wiggly version of an Ironbird lol

I moved it to the centre of the body and it has helped a little bit but it still neck dives. Though it now sits in a better position and the upper wing sits right under my arm so I can keep the neck up that way if need be. Though I'm going to try weighting down my strap on the bridge side today and see how that goes, I'll let you know.