NGD - Sabre Wraith (pics)

witeter

New Metal Member
Feb 17, 2014
Hi guys first post on here. Got this beauty some weeks back-lets get cracking with some pics!

[URL=http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/witeter1/media/_DSC0107_zpse881f107.jpg.html]

Specs:
Wraith HB-102 Custom
25.5" scale
16" radius
Korina body
Spalted Maple top
5 piece Maple/Walnut neck
Maple binding with black fibre strip (neck only)
Ebony fretboard
'Tumi' Inlay
EMG Hetset
Hannes Bridge
Gotoh Mini tuners
D'Addario 10-52 strings

So its been almost a year since I first tried out the guitars Chris at Sabre has been churning out. Needless to say I was blown away by the Wraith model, everything about it appealed to me,. I had been aware of Sabre for 2 years (i think) prior to that, but i always believe in trying before buying if possible. Once i played them i knew i had to sell my guitars to fund one!

I have always been a fan of spalted maple tops but i have always hated that glossy finish that a lot of them have, so I specified to Chris that I wanted a matte finish-hence keeping it as natural looking as possible. I was blown away when I first opened the case at just how beautiful it looks in person, the wood just looks amazing, and the guitar is so light and resonant. The Wraith model has all these incredible curves and contours, lots of small details that make the whole package even more awesome. I cant stress what a beautiful instrument she is!!!

I deliberated as to what pickups to go with, originally i was going to go with BKP Blackhawks but quite late in the process had a change of heart and went with the EMG Hetset. Its taken me a session or 2 to marriage my amp to the pickups successfully; i didnt expect them to be so hot! But after some tweaking (lowering gain, presence and treble) they sound fantastic, like a passive on steroids but still retaining the EMG cut and punch-it has more bass than the 81 and less harshness. Im very happy at how it performs in a band scenario, which is important to me.

The build quality of the whole guitar is absolutely incredible, from the neck binding to the headstock, it just screams class. Chris has been very patient and communicative throughout the process, so much more than any other luthier I have heard of. The build started in May, so my order was completed in just under 9 months, which i think is very reasonable.

The action on arrival was very playable but a tad high for my tastes. However having the truss rod access at the end of the neck (by the pickups) makes adjustments of that kind very easy indeed. Now ive got it playing really sweetly :)

The idea for the inlay came from me wanting the guitar to be meaningful to me. I have peruvian and british heritage so as the guitar was made in Cambridge I wanted something to represent the peruvian side. And what better than a 'Tumi' - its a sacrificial knife that was used by the Incas. This specific design was done by Christian Aliaga, a peruvian part-time graphic artist who resides in Sweden. He granted me full permission to use his design and I think Chris nailed it with the execution. We were possibly going to go with a bare fingerboard and just the inlay, but i rely on markers way too much, hence we kept the standard Sabre fret markers but with the added inclusion of the 'Tumi'.

Played my first gig with the guitar yesterday also, and received compliments not only on the looks but also on the sound. I will be doing lots of recording and gigging with her this year and I just cant wait!!
Anyhow, I have probably written enough-hope you guys enjoy the pics, may upload some outside shots when it stops raining! :cry:
If you are looking for beautiful and highly crafted guitars that deliver on all fronts, check Sabre out, Chris is very down to earth and accommodating-i certainly am not disappointed! :headbang:

haha awesome, I posted the set of pics from your guitar on a friends wall on FB, when the sabre FB page shared them!

From the looks this guitar damn near near perfect for me. Such a beauty!

Spalted maple with that shape, that hardware (minus bridge maybe), and also the pickups are awesome.
Great choice dude!

Haha awesome :) glad you found it 'share worthy'
Yes i absolutely love it, the pickups are beastly also!

Yeah it was, cause it really looks like I always describe my dream guitar should look like hehe

I'd maybe have a different 3 way switch, a "splitable" (if emg they arent really splitable but a singlecoile and a humbucker in one casing) pickup in the neck and 2 volume knobs.
Don't really have experience with hannes bridges or korina as body wood though...
Why did you go with these?

Also: clips would be pretty nice too ;)

Will be getting some more clips in future-at the moment i only did a very short one last saturday

Basically i played a Sabre Wraith a year ago that blew me away so i wanted to keep the specs similar-that guitar had a korina body and i basically found it to be like a more refined, clear and resonant variant of mahogany (i quite like mahogany but sometimes it can make things a bit muddy). Also that guitar had a Hannes bridge and i loved the low profile of it and how comfy it was to play, so i just went for those based on that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The bridge pickup is slanted and it is on purpose, -according to Chris from Sabre guitars '(the angle of the bridge pickup) greatly enhanced the low-end response by putting the bridge pickup better in line with the actual intonation positions of the bridge' so hope that makes sense.

Nice guitar... congratz!

Though I can't help but say that my bullshit meter redlined when I read this...

"greatly enhanced the low-end response by putting the bridge pickup better in line with the actual intonation positions of the bridge"

Not saying it isn't true.... just saying.

Happy NGD!!!

He's not wrong in asserting that an angled pickup will change the bass response but it has absolutely nothing to do with intonation. I'm guessing English isn't his first language and that he's not intending to mislead.

Looks awesome, I'll have to look into these. Too bad it has EMGs in it, though. I presume you can specify different pickups?

"This is awesome except for easily changeable parts that take virtually zero effort to swap and were installed at the request of the customer that this custom was built for in the first place."

He's not wrong in asserting that an angled pickup will change the bass response but it has absolutely nothing to do with intonation. I'm guessing English isn't his first language and that he's not intending to mislead.

Haha no worries man, i am fluent both in english and spanish, my mum is english, nothing to do with language i am simply quoting what Chris (Sabre guitars luthier) told me regarding the slanted bridge pickup. Any further queries may be best discussed with him-'bullshit' or not, it didnt matter to me tbh :headbang:
And yes you can have any pickups/hardware you want, i decided on the Hetset and no regrets so far :)

He's saying that the pole pieces are more equally spaced with each string's saddle position.

Hi guys first post on here. Got this beauty some weeks back-lets get cracking with some pics!

Specs:
Wraith HB-102 Custom
25.5" scale
16" radius
Korina body
Spalted Maple top
5 piece Maple/Walnut neck
Maple binding with black fibre strip (neck only)
Ebony fretboard
'Tumi' Inlay
EMG Hetset
Hannes Bridge
Gotoh Mini tuners
D'Addario 10-52 strings

So its been almost a year since I first tried out the guitars Chris at Sabre has been churning out. Needless to say I was blown away by the Wraith model, everything about it appealed to me,. I had been aware of Sabre for 2 years (i think) prior to that, but i always believe in trying before buying if possible. Once i played them i knew i had to sell my guitars to fund one!

I have always been a fan of spalted maple tops but i have always hated that glossy finish that a lot of them have, so I specified to Chris that I wanted a matte finish-hence keeping it as natural looking as possible. I was blown away when I first opened the case at just how beautiful it looks in person, the wood just looks amazing, and the guitar is so light and resonant. The Wraith model has all these incredible curves and contours, lots of small details that make the whole package even more awesome. I cant stress what a beautiful instrument she is!!!

I deliberated as to what pickups to go with, originally i was going to go with BKP Blackhawks but quite late in the process had a change of heart and went with the EMG Hetset. Its taken me a session or 2 to marriage my amp to the pickups successfully; i didnt expect them to be so hot! But after some tweaking (lowering gain, presence and treble) they sound fantastic, like a passive on steroids but still retaining the EMG cut and punch-it has more bass than the 81 and less harshness. Im very happy at how it performs in a band scenario, which is important to me.

The build quality of the whole guitar is absolutely incredible, from the neck binding to the headstock, it just screams class. Chris has been very patient and communicative throughout the process, so much more than any other luthier I have heard of. The build started in May, so my order was completed in just under 9 months, which i think is very reasonable.

The action on arrival was very playable but a tad high for my tastes. However having the truss rod access at the end of the neck (by the pickups) makes adjustments of that kind very easy indeed. Now ive got it playing really sweetly :)

The idea for the inlay came from me wanting the guitar to be meaningful to me. I have peruvian and british heritage so as the guitar was made in Cambridge I wanted something to represent the peruvian side. And what better than a 'Tumi' - its a sacrificial knife that was used by the Incas. This specific design was done by Christian Aliaga, a peruvian part-time graphic artist who resides in Sweden. He granted me full permission to use his design and I think Chris nailed it with the execution. We were possibly going to go with a bare fingerboard and just the inlay, but i rely on markers way too much, hence we kept the standard Sabre fret markers but with the added inclusion of the 'Tumi'.

Played my first gig with the guitar yesterday also, and received compliments not only on the looks but also on the sound. I will be doing lots of recording and gigging with her this year and I just cant wait!!
Anyhow, I have probably written enough-hope you guys enjoy the pics, may upload some outside shots when it stops raining! :cry:
If you are looking for beautiful and highly crafted guitars that deliver on all fronts, check Sabre out, Chris is very down to earth and accommodating-i certainly am not disappointed! :headbang:

absolutely killer guitar, can't wait until my sabre is finished:cry:

chris seems very busy now, we also need to discuss a few more things (i'm not yet sure on the finish) so i guess it's still a few months away but it will be absolutely worth the wait for sure! :)