Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
From Metal Rules:

Jon Oliva's Pain - GLOBAL WARMING
March 2008
Released: 2008, AFM
Rating: 5.0/5
Reviewer: Chaosankh

The Mountain King returns with his third installment of Jon Oliva’s Pain. Previous releases under this moniker, ‘TAGE MAHAL and MANIACAL RENDERINGS, were both rather lackluster affairs. Each had a few great songs that would strike a chord similar to what listeners might have felt while enjoying classic offerings of Oliva’s landmark band, Savatage; however, the meat of those albums seemed to be a lot of aimless filler. Throughout the promotion of these previous albums, Jon maintained that Savatage was no longer necessary as he was continuing that music with his new band, but for many listeners something was missing. Cue GLOBAL WARMING, the new release. Finally, long-time fans of Jon Oliva will be rewarded again for their allegiance with an album that is flawless from front to back.

Things kick off with the title track, an orchestral arrangement that becomes a song after over three minutes of symphonic elements mixed with seventies-styled organ and heartfelt lead guitar. The second track, “Look at the World,” transitions perfectly out of the first track, providing a classic Jon Oliva, piano-heavy song. In a recent interview, Jon has indicated that the majority of this song was actually written around 1979, which is surprising, considering the more overtly metal type stuff that Savatage/Avatar produced in the early eighties. “Adding the Cost” is one of the more direct songs on the album, and it has an insistent feel to it similar to the POETS AND MADMEN track, “Drive.” Somehow this new song seems to succeed much better than that previous effort, though. Track four, “Before I hang,” has a real classic late eighties Savatage vibe to, albeit more well-produced and polished. Apparently, this track is, in fact, a remnant of tracks that were demoed for GUTTER BALLET, and, if so, they should have used it because it is a killer track. “Firefly” begins a slower, more spacious vibe for the album, with slow, bass heavy, Zep-influenced verses, haunting guitar slides, that lead to one of the most effective and emotional choruses of the album. The lead work throughout this song is not flashy, but it is full of soul. The weirdest track of the album is “Master,” complete with electronic sounds, a machine-sounding beat, and vocal effects. While this track might put off some purists, it is a perfect break from the rest of the album and gives the arrangement of the tracks a nice change of pace. “Ride” offers some nice acoustic guitar parts, coupled with some other classic rock sounding overdubs and another chorus that simply brands itself upon you. “O to G” and “Walk Upon the Water” go together; the former being a light and short piano song, the latter being a signature Jon Oliva track that is again more of the mid-tempo, ballad style that Jon does so well. “Stories” is a driving track with cutting leads and a more aggressive delivery by the Mountain King. There are some nice backing harmony vocals in the verses on this track that will undoubtedly remind many fans of moments on the last few Savatage releases. “Open Your Eyes” is another ballad, but should not be missed as it has the perfect blend of the soft and vulnerable side of Jon’s voice and the stretched, impassioned tone that continues to sell these types of songs for him. There is also another moving guitar solo on display here. Things wrap up with a classic Savatage-styled rocker, “You Never Know” featuring a few classic squeals, and then comes “Someone/souls,” a lazy journey through two parts that sends the listener off with a whisper rather than a roar.

With GLOBAL WARMING, Jon Oliva has accomplished something that might have seemed unlikely to many fans - - the creation of an album that is equal to the glory days of his previous work. For the first time operating as Jon Oliva’s Pain, he has put together an album that can stand on its own. This album is lyrically relevant to the present day and musically timeless, freely roaming across a range of styles with a fluency that only a master’s hand could manage. While the metal community will always clamor for a Savatage reunion, GLOBAL WARMING proves that Jon Oliva is capable of standing out without the crutch of that name’s marketing clout. It would be nice to be able to discuss Jon Oliva’s Pain without the comparisons to that canon, but it would truly be impossible since it was the passion seen in this release that made that band what it always was.

:guh: 'scuze me?

I agree. Manical Renderings was one HELL of a great album. I am not thrilled with the new one. it is too soft, way too much slow material and piano, not enough guitars. I have really wanted to love this album since JOP will be playing PP this year, but I don't sense this is going to happen.

Global Warning.

My warning to Savatage fans: While 'Tage Mahal was hope for a future Sava sound, and Maniacal Renderings was, let's face it, a weaker but solid effort, with Warning I see our King's crown drooping a little, maybe a few gray hairs stray from the edges of his brow. He's becoming what Zak Stevens has: a shadow of his former glory. To me, Warning is a warning indeed- that Jon is running out of steam. The music isn't bad at all. Not one bit. But it isn't anything original, or even very memorable to be honest, save a few of the better tracks. And Jon's vox are amazing. He's never fallen short there. But his lyrics- angsty political trash talk- might recall the backlash that Pain of Salvation garnered from a lot of pissed off American fans who just didn't get it. Maybe now they will, but hasn't it already been said hundreds if not thousands of times by now? The greatest execution of this Anti-Bushian America was, hands down, Threshold's brilliant moment of potent clarity entitled Subsurface. Even on 'Tage Mahal, one of my favorite tracks was "People Say (Gimmie Some Hell)". But it only referenced all the great Savatage songs of the past. If not directly, Jon continues to do that- reference the past, re-organize and rewrite the same stuff- there's really no fresh new smell anymore, and so I'm losing interest like I have with Circle II Circle and Chris Caffrey. Three of metal's greatest, divided they're much weaker than they once were.

A very average 3/5

I don't know if I missed a thread that this was in stock at lasercd so I'm bumping this one. I guess this still isn't released in the States yet? Anyways it's ordered. :kickass:

Here is my review, excuse all of the terrible punctuation.

Since I discovered SAVATAGE and Jon Oliva related projects in 2005 I have been floored by anything slightly related. I love the atmosphere and the overall feeling that the music creates in a room of people that know the music; the looks on people’s faces that are just listening to it for the first time are priceless. I am convince that almost no one else on this Earth puts more of his blood, sweat, and tears in their then The Mountain King does and with his band in tow they absolutely destroy once again.

I don’t think Jon and his band need any introduction really. Jon has been writing music for nearly 30 years with SAVATAGE, DOCTOR BUTCHER, and TRANS SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA. His backing band is nothing to over look either even though I don’t mention them as much in the review which is not a knock on them, I am just a Jon fan-boy. They were at one time with Zak Stevens in CIRCLE II CIRCLE.

To start with Jon used some of Criss’ previously recorded material, so this damn near a SAVATAGE record. So people don’t bitch about getting a new one because if I recall Jon said a good portion of the album came from back when he and Criss were writing.

The album begins with the title track and has somewhat of a lengthy intro, but it sounds like Oliva in top form ripping apart the keys. I just love Jon’s voice so soft in parts, but then being about rough as sandpaper in others. The solo towards the end is very nice, I wonder if this is one of the guitar parts that Criss wrote. "Look At The World" is the perfect mid-paced classic SAVATAGE style with organs and a rhythm that is unbelievably infectious. The third song picks it up a few notches as far as tempo. The truly aggressive side of the bands comes out majestically from the tone in the guitars and vocals to the ability of the lyrics to be shouted by any audience member, perfect for a live setting.

"Before I Hang" begins with that amazing organ sound of a more mid-paced track, but then it jumps to the more aggressive side. The addition of the backing chorus towards the end really adds to feeling of the later part in the song. In this part of the song I could totally hear Zak Stevens make a guest appearance with some counterpoint vocal tracks, very old school ’TAGE sounding. Firefly is one of my favorite tracks on the album, there is so much emotion behind Jon’s voice and the atmosphere of the all instruments intertwining is epic possibly without it meaning to be. This track relies heavily on the softer side of things perhaps along the same lines as Believe, but with a heavier outro. The next one contains a crazy effect for the vocals in certain parts where it is supposed to sound more digital sounding. The overall effect is pretty interesting, and unexpected. The overall song is pretty good I think it is another song that would be great live thanks to the chorus along with an evil computer laugh half way through the song. The "digital" effects added to the guitar solo or at least what I think is a guitar is also pretty sweet. The alternating of acoustic guitars and an electric slide guitar are an interesting mix to the next one. "The Ride" is another one of those foot stomping amazing rhythm tracks that only coupled by superb chorus.

The mingling of the keys and guitars on "Walk Upon Water" is really "warm" sounding and gives me goose bumps listening to it. I think this is probably one the tracks that Jon used some of Criss&#8217; recorded stuff. I think this track is just so unique and enchanting, easily one of the best on the album. "Stories" straight up could have came from the DOCTOR BUTCHER album aggressive as hell, but with a slightly more melodic touch and it is pretty slight. The track following is another one of Jon&#8217;s slow epic tracks with Jon assuming the "angel" role with his magnificent vocal tone compare to his "mephesto" tone. The second to last track implores the faster side once again while the last track is something slightly different. It is a split track one part is particularly slow and features only Jon< and guitar. The first part though begins like one of the slower tracks until it really picks up speed and they sound almost like Zeppelin to me, which is something I never noticed in Jon&#8217;s writing til now.

If you like Jon&#8217;s other projects, you will like this one. Enough said.

As much as I LOVE Jon Oliva, I'd come to the conclusion long ago that Savatage is/was no more. To me, the last "real" Savatage cd was Streets, and even that was venturing too much into the "Broadway metal" stuff. I'll probably be killed for these comments, but hey....it's just my opinion. Unfortunately, for me, Savatage was done when Criss Oliva passed away. The closest thing to the mighty 'Tage since then, was Maniacal Renderings(co-written with old Criss Oliva riffs) and Doctor Butcher. The rest, I feel, was just a band who happened to be using the Savatage name. I still plan on buying the new JOP cd, but I won't ever expect it to be a Savatage cd. Those days are long gone, but at least I have the original albums to remember them with.
BTW, many thanks to Glen for having "Weapons of Mass Destruction" play at ProgPower a few years ago. For me, that was the last "true" Savatage concert performance I think that I'll ever see.

I said it in another thread. CircleIICircle new disc=mediocre,JOP new disc=total stinker...even worse than Fight For The Rock. I hate to think that JOP will never again reach the greatness of Savatage

I agree. Manical Renderings was one HELL of a great album. I am not thrilled with the new one. it is too soft, way too much slow material and piano, not enough guitars. I have really wanted to love this album since JOP will be playing PP this year, but I don't sense this is going to happen.

I FINALLY got a copy and after several listenings, I have to agree with the above assessment. I place GW better than Tage Mahal, but WAY behind MR. I think that's because I am more of a power metal freak and GW has a lot of progressive/changeup stuff, kinda like PoS, who I cannot get into. I also disagree with the person that said Jon is out of gas. Even though I don't care for GW as much as MR, Jon's composer abailities are really starting to shine. Maybe that is due, in some part, to TSO.

My $.02.

Chris :headbang: