Nick Barker Out Of Dimmu Borgir

Papa Josh said:
If I'm not mistaken, Oystein gave him an ultimatum and made him choose as he wanted Borknagar to be a full time touring band. If you ask me, Simen made the wise choice as Borknagar hasn't been around these parts since the Emperor IX Equilibrium tour!!
Yeah, if that's true then I can understand that. Borknagar is not big enough to require full time touring, so to be given an ultimatum is ridiculous. Oystein should have just let him do both, as he probably would have wanted.

Dreamlord said:
And you better get ready, because the next Borknagar album will be Vintersorg's last. 2 with Garm, 2 with Simen, possibly 2 with Vintersorg. Who's next? Ihsahn?
Heh, interesting. I certainly prefer Ihsahn's (past) grim vocals over all those others, but his clean vocals...? Borknagar's strengh's are actually in the clean vox department if you ask me.

Opeth17 said:
Definately. I have Quintessence and Empiricism and need to just sit down and listen to both all the way through. I don't think I'm givin 'em enough attention.
Hmm, Empiricism was a lot more immediate to me. However, over time, I realize that there's a lot of crud on it, making it a 'hit and miss' album. The stuff that 'hits' is astounding.

@BWD - I used to think the same with Quintessence, and then one day it kinda clicked into place. I still prefer Vintersorgs clean vox on Empiricism, but the song quality on Quintessence is slightly more consistent. Give it another try (and you don't even have to go out and buy it!).

JayKeeley said:
Borknagar's strengh's are actually in the clean vox department if you ask me.
I totally agree. THe clean vox is really what sets them apart. It's really surprising that the band aren't more popular among the underground. It's not like they are of the grim, true variety of black metal.