Dimmu Borgir

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
I've been on a Dimmu Borgir kick recently and since they don't have a forum on here, I thought what the hell and made a thread.

Love? Hate? Indifferent? Favorite song/album? Opinion of Death Cult Armageddon?

well i think they are pretty good overall, but i don't like for all tid and stormblåst very much, and especially not F.A.T.
their latest has some very good moments but it also has some major filler tracks. and that's pretty much goes for all of their cds; dimmu borgir is about picking out the gems among the pepples so to speak, they have a lot of crappy songs but also a lot of good ones that you wont find unless you bare with the entire cd and strain it thoroughly :)

spaffe said:
well i think they are pretty good overall, but i don't like for all tid and stormblåst very much, and especially not F.A.T.
their latest has some very good moments but it also has some major filler tracks. and that's pretty much goes for all of their cds; dimmu borgir is about picking out the gems among the pepples so to speak, they have a lot of crappy songs but also a lot of good ones that you wont find unless you bare with the entire cd and strain it thoroughly :)

I personally didn't think Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia had any filler. An all around excellent album if you ask me. For All Tid and Stormblast I like, not as much as their later works, but they seem to be quite atmospheric and I think my appreciation for both would grow if I got a chance to listen to them on a rainy day when I'm in a somber mood as that would match both albums very well I think. So far Death Cult Armageddon has been excellent and although I only recently purchased Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions they've struck me right off as masterpieces furthering my respect for these guys. I guess they're one of those love/hate bands but right now, I'm absoleutly loving everything Dimmu Borgir.

Opeth17 said:
Indifferent?
Yep. They have a knack for writing one kickass song an album surrounded by crap. Like a lot of the more mellow metal bands, I can see why they are so well loved though.

I'm indifferent. I'm not into the whole symphonic black metal thing, I preffer the troo form of the genre :p.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
I'm indifferent. I'm not into the whole symphonic black metal thing, I preffer the troo form of the genre :p.

hmmm....
now, i love the "true" form of the genre, like you said, as well,
but i also find Dimmu to be an excillent band !
regardless the fact that some people call it "the pop BM"
i simply call it good music.

:cool:

I'm mostly indifferent, I can appreciate large parts of DCA and ETD on a purely sonic level, especially the orchestral/keyboard arrangements, but their songwriting has never really impressed me. And then there's the disproportionate Shagrath to Simen ratio.

Dead_Lioness said:
hmmm....
now, i love the "true" form of the genre, like you said, as well,
but i also find Dimmu to be an excillent band !
regardless the fact that some people call it "the pop BM"
i simply call it good music.

:cool:
Yeah, they are a good band, but not my type of music. There are so many good bands coming out that I don't take the time to check the entire catalogues of more known bands.

I have Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and find the first 4 songs to be incredible, I've spent many hours listening to them and probably will in the future as well. The rest is okay, but I rarely listen to that whole album in one sitting, even though the last 30 seconds are awesome.

Puritanical Ephoriac Misanthropic Dildo Holsters (or whatever) is terrible to me. Boring and sterile, and honestly I doubt I'll ever purchase another Dimmu Borgir because of it, except maybe the old stuff someday. Maybe.

NAD said:
I have Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and find the first 4 songs to be incredible, I've spent many hours listening to them and probably will in the future as well. The rest is okay, but I rarely listen to that whole album in one sitting, even though the last 30 seconds are awesome.

Puritanical Ephoriac Misanthropic Dildo Holsters (or whatever) is terrible to me. Boring and sterile, and honestly I doubt I'll ever purchase another Dimmu Borgir because of it, except maybe the old stuff someday. Maybe.
Which is the one with Simen singing on it again?

Puritanistic Elephantitus Misdirection.

I don't like Simen's voice on that album, probably due to the waaaaaaaaaaaay too produced and polished sound.

Reaheaheaheaheaheaheeeelllyyy....

Mine's the super fancy edition with patch, poster, and cool box thingy, so you'll have to give me a CD-R or two for trade as well. :p

(I'll send it out with your CD-R shipment after the holidays. :D )