Nick Crow Lab "7170_Lead" v.1.2 for Win and Mac VST & AU (FREE)

NickCrow

Engineer
Sep 3, 2007
Russia
nickcrowlab.blogspot.com
GUI by Requietus
nickcrow7170leadreq2.jpg

"7170_Lead" - tube guitar amplifier emulation plug-in for Windows (VST 32 and 64-bit) and Mac OS X (VST and AU 32 and 64-bit).

New in version 1.2
- Mac OS X compatibility added.
- Two channels (stereo mode to be able to handle double tracks). Each channel is activated when there is a signal at its input, which saves CPU resources.

Download

Coded in C++ within the WDL-OL framework
https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol/

Great nick!!

i've used and abuse the old 7170 a lot... great ampsim... i love it with the diezel v30 impulse

Lol seems like everyone uses that same pic of the 5150 chassis for their plug in guis. I used it one time and got derided for being a hack gui designer...:lol: Will try asap!

thanks! also liked the 8505 for rhythm guitars - had cpu problems with these before but upgraded the PC since so can play with them again...

Nick, thanks soooo much! This has always been one of my favorites. Love your work.

~scott

Really bad edit @ :31?

Tones are aight. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of really downtuned guitars.

Just a little overzealous, the idea was to accentuate the next hit. We've reformed under a new name with a new vocalist and are releasing the full EP with his vocals so it's already been fixed for that.

sounds good man! what was on your guitar and master busses?

Guitars were 8505 > one of the catharsis impulses > tons of EQing. Can't remember what TS I used. Might have had a marshall preamp impulse there too.

^ absolutely sick, even on laptop speakers.

Cheers! I'll post up the release version when it's done.

Guitars were 8505 > one of the catharsis impulses > tons of EQing. Can't remember what TS I used. Might have had a marshall preamp impulse there too.

Could you post a screenshot of the EQ settings, or at least give a few information? :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21368033/leftguitar.jpg

(linked because the image is massive)

This is just the left channel, although I think the right is similar, maybe with a different impulse. Obviously it has a lot of processing but my aim was to get the best fundamental tone I could and then shape it to fit the mix. Reaper's EQ is fairly 'weak' which suits me fine as I can use it in stages. You might look at that chain and scoff at the idea that the 8505 gave most of the tone but it really did, the other steps were to improve it. The guitarbus has a small attenuation at 198hz (which is a G, the tuning of the song), a little widening and some limiting.

Using the JVM preamp really helped make the sound more 3d in this instance, and made notes jump out more. The X50 poweramp just added some life to it. These settings are extremely particular to the mix I was doing, the tuning I was in and the sound of the DIs (a stock Jeff Loomis sig into a Radial JDI into a profire 2626).