Nietzsche, Patron Saint of Black Metal?

death metal black metal

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
Nietzsche, Patron Saint of Black Metal?

Friedrich Nietzsche remains an enigma to this day. Rejecting objectivity, he appealed to the subjective sense of greatness and beauty in the individual in his appeal for a new society, with non-material and non-egomaniacal goals. He overthrew the illusion of morality, and defecated thoroughly upon the idea of Judeo-Christian moral supremacy. He embraced nature red in tooth and claw. Despite all of this seemingly negative outlook, much like the darkness and moribund misanthropy of black metal, his goal was ultimately one of renewal and hope for life, but one that acknowledged for life to rise we must reject the parasitic, delusional and controlling.

Some black metal bands, notably the tedious Judas Iscariot and the epic Gorgoroth, have openly embraced Nietzschean concepts like triumph of the will, the philosophical hammer, and "total war against Christianity." Others seem simply to echo the ideas he praises, such as rise of genetically supreme individuals through natural selection and a rejection of Social Darwinism, and a praise of unique native cultures worldwide. It is then quite possible that both in the first wave of black metal, and in whatever meagre remnants of it exist today, the philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche have found a philosophical voice.

Although I think that Nietzsche is often wrong, simplistic, and just generally stupid, and that his fans are nearly universally idiotic, I guess his stuff does tend to shine through, moreso in black metal than death metal.

The objections against Christianity raised by Nietzsche are certainly similar to those found in black metal, although he is surely more of a figure whose influence was appropriated by certain bands after the fact, rather than a significant figure in the creation of the genre. Come to think of it, I never hear much of what, if anything, those kids were reading in Norway back in those days.

I think the average listener of black metal misses the Nietzschesque (er...) anti-Christianity in the genre, instead associating it with their own humanist/logical/democratic/whatever objections against religion. Which is why you often get comments like "why doesn't black metal attack Islam/Hinduism/etc.?" There is a simplification to generic anti-Christianity and an ignorance of the specific problems that the artists generally have/had with the religion, instead in the minds of many the blasphemy of black metal goes hand in hand with their secular humanist moral mindset.

I thought it was that Anton LaVey was inspired by Nietzsche when making the Satanic Bible and thus when the satanic black metal bands came around, they followed the philosophy of Nietzsche through Satanism.

That would be Ayn Rand, not Nietzsche, that Satanist bands would be preaching.

Which is laughable, because her work is probably the only "philosophy" that beats out Nietzsche for uselessness.

Nietzsche was a nazi prick who's own life was contradictary to his ideals. He was weak, sickly, and was a classic "lives in his parent's basement" case. Not that I have any problem with the aformentioned characteristics, the entire "ubermensch" ideal is disgusting.

But yeah I can see his influence in black metal.

I agree that a lot of metal (particularly extreme metal) is consistent with a Nietzschian "wetlanschauung." Whether the bands actually are influenced by Nietzsche or it is conincidental and unintentional, I do not know.