9. Shadowland Serenade
10. Forever and Never

Label: Black Mark/The End Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://nightingale.ultimatemetal.com/

GRADE:
8/10

On Alive Again, the fourth installment of The Breathing Shadow, Dan Swano’s NIGHTINGALE project returns once again with a batch of extremely catchy AOR friendly tunes. To be honest, a large portion of these tracks would not sound out of place on an adult contemporary radio station. Ok, why do you have that look on your face, like an anthrax bomb just dropped in your vicinity? It’s actually a little refreshing, this time around NIGHTINGALE is actually a band, and not just Swano and Tom Nouga with a drum machine. As a result, the songs come across in a more lively manner, pun intended.

One aspect of this project that has always appealed to me is the keys/piano work; very KING CRIMSON/YES/DREAM THEATER like, yet restrained when needed. Also, Swano’s clean vocals have just gotten better and better with age, the David Coverdale comparisons should be flattering, not insulting. I am even reminded of my favorite composer/producer, Jeff Lynne. Make no mistake about it though, this is not WHITESNAKE, DEEP PURPLE, or ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA. Some moments rock, some are tender and some stray into proggy waters, the diversity definitely a key element.

Highlights to these ears include “Falling,” which features a killer lead solo by AYREON/STAR ONE mastermind Arjen Lucassen along with a great chorus. Certain arrangements within this and the bridge bring the aforementioned Lynne comparisons. “Eternal” is an eleven plus minute epic which hits the nail on the fucking head. Placed almost directly in the center of this opus, “Eternal” sums up what Alive Again is all about to me. Take that and the great groove and organ tone found on “Forever And Never” and I’m set.

All in all, a stellar release, and a good reason to resurrect the NIGHTINGALE project.

PJ