Nightwish: HUMAN. :||: NATURE.

Wow that's...bad. How do you hire Floor and still produce generic boring hock like this?
It's definitely not groundbreaking for them (sounds in line with the last release), but you don't gain a wide audience by being innovators. It's the same model every metal band uses...start with edgy/innovative music and then become generic for mass appeal. Metallica's "Black Album" anyone? If you stay true to your roots, you either get pegged as a band who does the same stuff over and over, or you have a very small but loyal nerd fanbase like us.
Otherwise, I thought the song was good...like I said before, much in line with the last release. Bands always release the more generic songs as singles, so I'll wait to hear the whole album before passing judgement.

I'm about 2/3 through the new album now, and I'm hearing some good stuff. However, what I hear the most is intense wankery. Thats too bad as they used to be one of my favorite bands. Oh well, everything changes eventually.

Wankery? From Nightwish....? Interesting....I wouldn't expect that kind of thing from them....maybe some over-orchestration, but I always equate wankery with bands like Dream Theater, or Yngwie Malmsteen (King of The Wank). Do they at least fully utilize Floor's vocal abilities this time? I thought she was criminally under-used on Endless Forms....

I hear no wankery as I would think that means...there’s a few cheesy songs/parts but otherwise I think it’s a little different and I’ve enjoyed a lot of it

Whatever genre this new album falls under, it seems to me their music is on the decline. Would it be surprising for them to get Yanni, master of the pan flute, to play the lone solo on their next album instead of getting Emppu to do it? After Floor joined the band and they released their Showtime Storytime album, it seemed the band was as good as ever. That was an excellent live performance they put on at Wacken that year, and Floor's performance was an 11 out of 10. Following that, while Endless Forms wasn't their best effort in my opinion,it did have some really good material in it. Likewise Human has some great moments too, but as time goes on it just seems the "good stuff" in their albums keeps getting less and less, and the "filler" (better term than wankery?) is getting more and more. I'm not giving up on them by any means as Nightwish simply has too much talent to do that, but this latest effort just isn't doing it for me yet.

Whatever genre this new album falls under, it seems to me their music is on the decline. Would it be surprising for them to get Yanni, master of the pan flute, to play the lone solo on their next album instead of getting Emppu to do it? After Floor joined the band and they released their Showtime Storytime album, it seemed the band was as good as ever. That was an excellent live performance they put on at Wacken that year, and Floor's performance was an 11 out of 10. Following that, while Endless Forms wasn't their best effort in my opinion,it did have some really good material in it. Likewise Human has some great moments too, but as time goes on it just seems the "good stuff" in their albums keeps getting less and less, and the "filler" (better term than wankery?) is getting more and more. I'm not giving up on them by any means as Nightwish simply has too much talent to do that, but this latest effort just isn't doing it for me yet.
I finally got a copy of this and spun disc one a couple of times. I've been a fan of Nightwish since they released their first album, and I hate to say they may be losing me. There are moments of greatness on Human:II:Nature, but that's the problem....just moments. I want them to kick my ass from beginning to end, and it's just not happening. I really don't like the staccato, up and down vocal lines they're writing lately, and I've never been a fan of the Troy Donockley influence. I'm now more excited when Epica has a new release....they have been consistently kicking my butt with their last few albums. That's what I hope for from Nightwish.
On a side note, as much as I love Floor, and think she's the finest vocalist in metal, I easily could have heard Anette Olzon singing on this album.

NIGHTWISH - Upcoming Human. :II: Nature. Virtual Livestream Show Rescheduled For May 2021

"...The interactive An Evening With Nightwish In a Virtual World concert experiences that will kick off the Human. :II: Nature. World Tour has been rescheduled from March to May due to changes in the band’s touring schedule. The new dates are Friday, May 28th and Saturday, May 29th...The live events to be experienced at Burst.fi. A recording of the concert will be available for 48 hours after the event for all the ticket holders. More details and tickets at Nightwish.com...."

NightwishEveningMay.png

NIGHTWISH REVEAL MARKO HIETALA'S REPLACEMENT FOR SESSION WORK AND HUMAN. :||: NATURE WORLD TOUR

"Jukka Koskinen (Wintersun) will be our session bass player and join us for our Human. :||: Nature. world tour! Finally we can share the awaited news with you all!"

Says Jukka: ”I couldn’t be more honoured to be part of the vehicle of spirit of Nightwish on its onward journey sharing special live moments to come on the Human. :II: Nature. - tour with all of you out there!”

The band adds: "Let's welcome Jukka on board!"

NIGHTWISH’S VIRTUAL WORLD EVENT LARGEST PAID VIRTUAL CONCERT IN FINLAND’S HISTORY

"...According to the Helsinki Times, Nightwish’s An Evening With Nightwish In A Virtual World event drew 150,000 viewers on the first night (Friday, May 28th). The highest number of visitors came from Europe and North America, but fans joined in from across the globe as tickets had been sold to 108 countries prior to the second show...."

NIGHTWISH RELEASE "VIRTUAL WORLD" AFTERMOVIE - "THIS AMAZING EXPERIENCE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THE SAME WITHOUT YOU ALL"; VIDEO

WINTERSUN Bassist JUKKA KOSKINEN Talks Joining NIGHTWISH As Session Player For Upcoming Human. :||: Nature World Tour (Video)

Last edited: