Nightwish - Oceanborn (1998)

OceanbarD

DeadsouL of a modern bard
Oct 9, 2001
Canada
Heres is an classic album of Symphonic metal : Oceanborn ,
definetlly the best nightwish album. its been a while it is out now , but it worth a review ! this album is the one with the most
classic element in it with an real orchestra to play it (what is
really better than syntkeyboard) after that on the metal side
its the most technical and aggresive album of the band. they have
show how finland best metal can look with the Symphonic touch
. if you like bands such as therion , dream theater and have a
crush for classic music but you find that too slow or easy : put
it a bit of the metal of oceanborn ! of course they are not the best
musician on the earth at all (it have a lot of better keybordist ,
guitarist and drummers) but the composition really worth a hear.
and the wonderfull singer does an incredible job (watch out tough
...this is opera vocals !!!) but if you looking for a masterpiece of
poetic and powerfull metal this one is for you.

well most of people prefer wishmaster to oceanborn , even the band say in interview that their wishmaster is better...but still
musically oceanborn remains better and their new tracks on the new MCD are really bad in my opinion and if they keep going "down" that way...ill go away from them also...

Yes , like some fans said they need a return to oceanborn ! and
fast at my opinion ! this is no use to downgrade with keyboards instead of orchestra for symphony and less precise riffs ! they
need to rise again...

I love both Oceanborn and Wishmaster, and while Wishmaster was my most favourite album for nearly a whole year (and one of those albums that got me into metal) by now Oceanborn is equal if not even better IMO. I think it's more of a long-term winner, because it's more diverse than Wishmaster, though less catchy. If they manage to put their next record somewhere between Oceanborn and Wishmaster, I think I gonna have a great time with it even in five or ten years from now :)

4 years already ! oh man...the time flow so fast...its seems to me
just as if it would be yesterday that i discovered this awesome album and discover this great band at the same time ! well , wishmaster is not a bad album ! even tough more usual power metal and catchy style yeah ! i prefer the sound of oceanborn
all the way ! at my opinion that is their real sound ! they sound more unique on this than on the other albums...

Wishmaster was good, but I liked Angels Fall First better, partly because of Tuomas' vocals..... too bad he quit. Although that`s understandable, as it seems very few like his singing..

Well, I like Oceanborn from all Nightwish albums, include Century Child. It has some "power" in it that the other albums don't have.
CC is a good work too though, yet not as amazing az Oceanborn.

Np: Lake of Tears - Pagan Wish

Nightwish is a fucken powermetal band, but tarja´s vocals make it so much more and I definitely dig the fucken shite.

And yeah, "Oceanborn" is killer, but it seems I´m the only one digging "The Carpenter" song. Excellent chorus.