Nightwish

Malinká said:
I don't really like them anymore... They want to reach the mainstream (they got it) and they're just dissapointing more and more the true fans...
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Essentially you're saying "If you're a true Nightwish fan, then you are disappointed." Which is very untrue. "TRUE" fans stick with the band and support them no matter what direction they choose to take with their music. Why let a little thing like the "Mainstream" spoil the fact that they make good music? And if you don't think so, I don't care, it doesn't change the fact that "Once" sold gold in Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Platinum in Germany, and double platinum in Finland. Not to mention the fact that it is at #1 on the charts all over Europe. Plus they sold more than 50,000 tickets at their show in Hamburg. Disappointed fans my ass.

Malinká said:
Marco's vocals are simply amazing, I totally love them, I guess is the only worthy thing in that band...
You must like death metal then... I like his vocals too, but Tarja is the best part of the band, in my opinion.

Malinká said:
Tuomas should stop using that much keys and orchestra, is killing the music... I have nothing against orchestra, but sometimes enough is enough, and they totally abused... :yuk:
Forgive my ignorance, but if you dislike overuse of keys and orchestra, why do you listen to Symphony X? (I am assuming you do because you are in the Sym X forum)

Katalepsy said:
You must like death metal then... I like his vocals too, but Tarja is the best part of the band, in my opinion.

And if you think Marco's vocals are "death metal" then you must not have any clue what death metal sounds like :p.

BTW, if any of you haven't, check out his band Tarot, where he does lead vocals. They fuckin rock.

Yngvai X said:
And if you think Marco's vocals are "death metal" then you must not have any clue what death metal sounds like

I was making reference to a previous statement someone made about his "death metal" influences, not that his vocals actually sound like it. Sorry for not clearing that up.

Katalepsy said:
I was making reference to a previous statement someone made about his "death metal" influences, not that his vocals actually sound like it. Sorry for not clearing that up.

Ah ok...well whoever said that, the musical direction pretty much rests on Tuomas and Tuomas alone...that man *is* Nightwish, and always has been.

And for the record, even musically, if anyone thinks NW sounds remotely death metal, they don't know what death metal sounds like ;)

Going back a few posts...a "true" fan of a band is one who appreciates everything they offer for what it is, but hold no obligation to themselves to enjoy everything simply because it comes from that band. I would call myself a "true" Metallica fan although I only mildly enjoy Load/Reload and hated St. Anger. You don't have to kiss someone's feet for everything that they do to be a "true" fan. That's rediculous.

I myself, like nightwish alot. They're different; The keyboard is more promenent than the guitar, and Tarja's voice is something. I guess it's like marmite -You either love it or you hate it. Anyway, back to the guitar, i don't think Emppu is anything spectacular, but he has some good riffs out there, to name one, 'She is my Sin'. Overall, i like the band, and i thhink Angels Fall First is as good as Oceanborn, but that's just me.

Legionaire said:
I myself, like nightwish alot. They're different; The keyboard is more promenent than the guitar, and Tarja's voice is something. I guess it's like marmite -You either love it or you hate it. Anyway, back to the guitar, i don't think Emppu is anything spectacular, but he has some good riffs out there, to name one, 'She is my Sin'. Overall, i like the band, and i thhink Angels Fall First is as good as Oceanborn, but that's just me.

Emppu is a decent guitarist, but just as you say, he's definitely not spectacular. He does have some awesome riffs, although I think Tuomas writes most of the instrumentals. Emppu is really short, Lol. And I would agree that AFF and Oceanborn are about equal. There are some songs on both albums that I don't particularly care for, but I'll listen to them from time to time. But I like Wishmaster, Century Child, and Once on all aspects.

soundgarden said:
He probably wants to get a post on every page.

Dam post-whores :bah:
You must have missed what I was getting at with that post...

Katalepsy said:
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Essentially you're saying "If you're a true Nightwish fan, then you are disappointed." Which is very untrue. "TRUE" fans stick with the band and support them no matter what direction they choose to take with their music. Why let a little thing like the "Mainstream" spoil the fact that they make good music? And if you don't think so, I don't care, it doesn't change the fact that "Once" sold gold in Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Platinum in Germany, and double platinum in Finland. Not to mention the fact that it is at #1 on the charts all over Europe. Plus they sold more than 50,000 tickets at their show in Hamburg. Disappointed fans my ass.

I was a fan, but the new direction of the band is not satysfing me, I don't care what you think or not... I gave MY opinion, same as you're giving yours... They can sell gold, platinum, etc, that doesn't mean the music is better... Try to expand your horizonts pls :)

Katalepsy said:

Yes I like some death metal, but that doesn't mean I don't like other genres, or other distinctives voices... Have you ever heard of Jouni nikula from Requiem? He has an operatic voice as well, and I totally worship it. I have never said that Tarja's voice sucks, is such an amazoing voice, but she's not taking advantage of such a gift anymore...

Katalepsy said:
Forgive my ignorance, but if you dislike overuse of keys and orchestra, why do you listen to Symphony X? (I am assuming you do because you are in the Sym X forum)

Cause sometimes enough is enough... Is sad that orchestra has taken all the guitar solos Emppu did in the past... If I'd would like to listen only orchestra, I'd buy a Tchaikovski, Mozart, Beethoven, etc... I tell you again, I love orchestration in the bands, but if I would only want that I'd go and listen Therion, Haggard, etc...

but as I said, that's MY opinion, and I'm not saying it for the sake of changing your mind...

Forgive my english, I'm not a native speaker...

They sound like Ramstein or White Zombie at times which caught me off guard. I only bought the new one because my wife liked their older stuff but I now wish that I would've invested in the new Imperia or Nemesea. I'll get them soon enough!