Nightwish

Nov 3, 2004
I have the Nightwish album Oceanborn, and i think it is an amazing album. I was wondering if the rest of their albums are that good? What do you guys Think of Nightwish?

Nightwish used to be a great band, a cool concept... but since Marco Hietala arrived, he "killed" the band with his death metal influences.

Their masterpiece: "OceanBorn" is an amazing disc however, their last work really sucks.
The main problem with them is that they are more interested in making money than in making good music.

I think they will become in another mediocre power metal band.

shredder487395 said:
I have the Nightwish album Oceanborn, and i think it is an amazing album. I was wondering if the rest of their albums are that good? What do you guys Think of Nightwish?

Brace yourself for more negative remarks.

At first I liked her voice. After about 2 weeks it got REALLY annoying.

Luis said:
I think they will become in another mediocre power metal band.

I don't think they are power metal.

I used to like them but...........i dont know, some songs are cool but other times i just dont like them. they have a good cobish sound but.........hmmmmmmmm.......i cant quite put my finger on it.

Well, I think Once is like Nightwish's last album with good shit on it. Planet Hell, and Ghost Love Score, and a couple other sick tracks, then theres a lot of tracks that make me wanna castrate myself with a melissa etheridge cd (not that thats necessarily a BAD thing). I'm kinda glad NW is getting the push, first good band to become in the mainstream in a long time. And I dunno, I wish I had an angel is kind of a cool song, slightly popped down Tarja and symphonicism, I kinda like it, minus the techno-y drum pattern.

I dig them too. There are some songs on Once that are a little too commercial and sound like a Disney movie soundtrack, but for the most part I think they are cool.

I just like metal and female vocals I guess. :oops: :oops: :p :p

Of course its kinda funny to see other people's reactions when I listen to Nightwish at work, they don't know what to make of it.

Luis said:
The main problem with them is that they are more interested in making money than in making good music.
Hmm...I must have missed the part where wanting to make money is a bad thing... If you didn't realize it, making music is their career, and they do a damn good job. Anyone who chooses to pursue a career in the music industry is not only interested in the music, but also in the money. I am a great example of this; I love writing and playing music, but I would also love to get something out of it other than just personal pleasure, and maybe entertain some people here and there. Forgive me if I am wrong in assuming that you do not know them personally, but how exactly would you know that the only thing they are interested in is making money?

I love Nightwish...They don't have one song that I do not like...With the exception of the original version of Astral Romance from Angels Fall First, but the remake makes up for it.

Shredder: To answer your question, yes, all of their albums are awesome. But I guess it is completely subjective...It took me awhile to get used to them, but now they're my favorite band.

I think the band is far better with Marco. I don't like that he plays with a pick, but his tone is pretty good. Besides, the old bassist never did anything exciting...it was all root notes.

I love Nightwish, and I could care less when anyone says negative things about them. I love Tarja's voice, and Marco's is good, too (especially on "Dead To The World"). That said, my favorite albums by them are Oceanborn and Century Child.

They're already a huge commercial success. I mean, they have Nightwish bedsheets and Nightwish condoms! The band is so all over the place in Europe that people who don't even normally listen to metal wear Nightwish merchandise. So the whole recent MTV exposure or whatever here is nothing new for them, just a new territory.

I think they're ok. The first album's not great. Wishmaster, Oceanborn, and CC are pretty good, and they have a lot of good songs on them, and they all have at least one REALLY great song, but there always seems to also be at least one really awfully crappy song in there. I didn't care for Once too much. Not as good as the other three (excluding AFF), but I guess it had it's moments.

They're decent. I think my biggest beef with them is that Tarja's voice doesn't have enough power behind it at times...at least for the music they are playing. End of All Hope is an example of this. She's perfect in the chorus, but sounds weak and timid in the verses. They do have cool riffs though. I'm not real crazy about them, but they're good enough to pop up in between other groups on my playlist now and then.

Xerofall said:
I dig them too. There are some songs on Once that are a little too commercial and sound like a Disney movie soundtrack, but for the most part I think they are cool.

I just like metal and female vocals I guess. :oops: :oops: :p :p

Of course its kinda funny to see other people's reactions when I listen to Nightwish at work, they don't know what to make of it.

if you like female metal singers, you should check out Sinergy some time.
Kimberly Goss has an amazing voice.

or check out my band , im a female metal vocalist myself :D
www.polarismusic.net

soundgarden said:
Power metal my arse! More like "holy crap this sucks" metal.( no offense, just personal opinion)

:tickled: I don't mean to offend anyone, but yeah, that's totally true!!

I don't really like them anymore... They want to reach the mainstream (they got it) and they're just dissapointing more and more the true fans...

Marco's vocals are simply amazing, I totally love them, I guess is the only worthy thing in that band...

Tuomas should stop using that much keys and orchestra, is killing the music... I have nothing against orchestra, but sometimes enough is enough, and they totally abused... :yuk: