Nightwish returning to prog power?

Petethedrummer

Sonata Arctica fan
Sep 25, 2002
Long Island, USA
Visit site
Finland's NIGHTWISH have pushed back the launch of their previously announced North American tour to this fall, BLABBERMOUTH.NET can reveal. "The tour has been postponed 'till September just prior to the South American dates, and some cities will be added [to the North American tour] as well," the group's booking agent told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. "Keep your tickets as we will make this up."

NIGHTWISH's North American tour with SONATA ARCTICA was scheduled to kick off April 20 in Chicago, Illinois. An official statement on the tour's postponement is expected shortly.

First of all............. DAMNIT I WAS SO EXCITED TO SEE THEM AND SONATA ARCTICA :yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell:

But...they're postponing the tour till September, maybe they were one of Glenn's safe bands to replace the drop out?

Maybe...

I was always skeptical on this tour since almost NONE of the dates were posted on Nightwish's site. Tickets for half the shows weren't for sale either. So if its true, its not surprising..

If Nightwish goes to PP with Stratovarius...I will propose to Glenn

I wouldnt mind seeing Sonata Arctica @ PP6.... But Nightwish is on my shitlist.... After they cancelled the philly show then never rescheduled it they lost my interest completely....

nevermind, they reposted this for those who might be interested:

NIGHTWISH: North American Tour Postponed - Feb. 7, 2005
Finland's NIGHTWISH have pushed back the launch of their previously announced North American tour to this fall. The rescheduled trek will most likely kick off in September prior to the band touring South America. "A bandmember has some pressing issues with some outside projects that directly impacted this time period," a representative from the group's booking agency told BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

"The band as a whole were looking forward to this tour and are truly sorry for their fans who already purchased tickets," the representative added. "Sometimes these things happen and it is unfortunate. However, the dates will be moved and put back on sale as soon as possible, and there will be some new cities added to the itinerary."

NIGHTWISH's North American tour with SONATA ARCTICA was scheduled to launch on April 20 in Chicago, Illinois.

Yeah, if you look at Nightwish's tour page - the dates they had confirmed in April for US is now gone. Now there's a gap in April - May. I wonder who the member is that had a project? Marco and Tarot? *Tarot = killer* Or maybe Tarja and a classical thing. Or maybe Tuomas and For My Pain. So many options... :) Still, this ProgPower is going to rule!

I could care less about Nightwish. I just want to see Sonata Arctica! Now I have to sit on my tickets until September! As long as they don't hit Chicago on the same weekend as ProgPower, I'll be cool.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

dargormudshark said:
Nightwish is not gothic, Dead Can Dance now that is gothic

I was about to post something similar, but you beat me to it.

I've gotten kinda anal about how the terms "gothic" and "goth" are used recently. I've referred to Nightwish as "gothic metal" in the past but I've stopped since there really isn't anything particularly gothic about their music. Both "gothic" and "goth" are bandied around so much that just about anything with a "dark"-ish sound (or just about any metal with a female singer and/or orchestral arrangements) is labelled as such. When I think of goth music, I think of alternative rock bands like Bauhaus, Faith & the Muse, Fields of the Nephilim, etc. I would consider bands like My Dying Bride or early Paradise Lost to be "real" gothic metal because I can tell the influence of that style in their music.

That's not a cut on Nightwish (or Therion, for that matter). Nightwish is one of my favorite bands, regardless of what genre they are. But to bring this point home: how would the metal community react if people started describing a band like The Darkness as "power metal?"

Rant over :) I'm not trying to attack anyone, just trying to clear up a frequently overused term.

Ruthven said:
I was about to post something similar, but you beat me to it.

I've gotten kinda anal about how the terms "gothic" and "goth" are used recently. I've referred to Nightwish as "gothic metal" in the past but I've stopped since there really isn't anything particularly gothic about their music. Both "gothic" and "goth" are bandied around so much that just about anything with a "dark"-ish sound (or just about any metal with a female singer and/or orchestral arrangements) is labelled as such. When I think of goth music, I think of alternative rock bands like Bauhaus, Faith & the Muse, Fields of the Nephilim, etc. I would consider bands like My Dying Bride or early Paradise Lost to be "real" gothic metal because I can tell the influence of that style in their music.

That's not a cut on Nightwish (or Therion, for that matter). Nightwish is one of my favorite bands, regardless of what genre they are. But to bring this point home: how would the metal community react if people started describing a band like The Darkness as "power metal?"

Rant over :) I'm not trying to attack anyone, just trying to clear up a frequently overused term.

I have a bunch of friends in Europe that give me weird looks if I call Nightwish powermetal...they are considered gothic metal there, enough so that they headline gothic metal festivals.

On their older albums they were more powermetal, but they've definitely gone more towards the symphonic gothic sound that bands like After Forever and Within Temptation have.