Nightwish / Sonata Arctica tour dates

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I am sure many will be happy @ the venue for the Chicago date...

08-29-2008 Jaxx W. Springfield VA USA
08-29-2008 The Trocadero Philadelphia PA USA
08-30-2008 The Palladium Worcester MA USA
08-31-2008 The Chance Poughkeepsie NY USA
09-01-2008 Metropolis Montreal QC Canada
09-02-2008 The Docks Toronto ON Canada
09-04-2008 The Agora Theater Cleveland OH USA
09-05-2008 Harpo’s Concert Theater Detroit MI USA
09-06-2008 House of Blues Chicago IL USA
09-07-2008 Station 4 St. Paul MN USA
09-09-2008 Showbox So Do Seattle WA USA
09-10-2008 Roseland Theater Portland OR USA
09-11-2008 Big Easy Boise ID USA
09-12-2008 The Fillmore San Francisco CA USA
09-13-2008 The Wiltern los angeles CA USA
09-14-2008 Marquee Theater Tempe AZ USA
09-16-2008 The Palladium Dallas TX USA
09-17-2008 La Zona Rosa Austin TX USA
09-19-2008 Meridian Houston TX USA
09-20-2008 House of Blues New Orleans LA USA
09-21-2008 Jannus Landing St. Petersburg FL USA
09-23-2008 Valarium Knoxville TN USA
09-24-2008 Tremont Music Hall Charlotte NC USA
09-25-2008 Uncle Pleasants Louisville AL USA
09-26-2008 Rams Head Live Baltimore MD USA
09-27-2008 Nokia Theater New York NY USA
09-28-2008 Penny Arcade Rochester NY USA

Might do the Rochester date at the end of the tour...SA was really weak @ PPUSA though and Nightwish has sucked some fat dong last 3 or so albums...

Yeah, never cared for Nightwish in the past much, and I saw one video for the new album (Bye Bye Beautiful) and it blew hard.....

Sonata on the other hand, while I don't listen to them too much these days, are great live. (At least they were when I saw them on the Reckoning Night tour).

Anyhow, the Helloween chicago stop is the following Sat, so most likely I will pass on this.

I am sure the announcement of the tour with Sonata opening will have an adverse effect on attendance for the upcoming tour with Sonic Syndicate.

We've argued Nightwish a lot in the past so I'm not going to do that again.
This is going to be a great time for me, I missed Sonata at their Metro show last year and the last Nightwish show was great. I can't believe I get a chance to see them 3 times in less than a year. They better not turn into a band like Into Eternity though. Nothing worse than a band that is over-exposed. I might just get burned out.

I am sure the announcement of the tour with Sonata opening will have an adverse effect on attendance for the upcoming tour with Sonic Syndicate.

I though about this too. I wonder how many people south of the Pearl Room didn’t go to the HOB show because it was an extra hour drive for them. HOB show sold out last year, even though the Pearl Room holds more people (I assume) I’m wondering if the same amount of people will show up this time around.

Here’s a good chance for us to look at numbers for our Pearl Room vs City Venues discussions.

Jose, give me a break.
I know you guys all blow loads for the Pearl Room, but get real. If Iced Earth were playing House of Blues, it might have been sold out already.....

I am not dissing the Pearl Room at all.
But I think attendance has proven that shows at HOB will outdraw Pearl Room. There are many people that will not make the trek out there...

You were at the Trouble show at HOB.
If that were at Pearl Room on a Sunday, I would say there would be 50 people there tops....

Nightwish at HOB sold out in advance.....
Doesn't seem to be the case for the upcoming Pearl Room show.

Jose, give me a break.
I know you guys all blow loads for the Pearl Room, but get real. If Iced Earth were playing House of Blues, it might have been sold out already.....

You were at the Trouble show at HOB.
If that were at Pearl Room on a Sunday, I would say there would be 50 people there tops....

Dude it's not all about the city man.
Trouble outdrawing in the city makes perfect sense since they are local. But I know that they're were some people there because of the event (Certain promoter's b-day) and they would of never gone if it was just Trouble alone.

I am not dissing the Pearl Room at all.
But I think attendance has proven that shows at HOB will outdraw Pearl Room. There are many people that will not make the trek out there...

And your proof is?
Like I said, this show will give us the resources to claim such statements.

Also at the end of the day I will be attending both shows, unlike other people....

I don't live in the city anymore.
Its a trek for me going to either HOB or Pearl Room.

My post was in response to those many have made that the Pearl Room is superior to HOB and that it can attain the same draw as HOB.

I am just saying that there are TONS of metal fans in the Chicago area that won't trek out to Mokena. When the Helloween dates were just announced, I talked to a good friend of mine that didn't even know that Mokena was feasible from Chicago-land. Granted, he isn't too much up on the underground scene and clubs. Though I bet there are a lot of folks who are not as in tune with the "scene" as some of us are who would see Mokena on a schedule and just brush it over.

I don't know why you guys get so defensive about this. The majority of metal fans in the Chicago-land area do not share the "Book em anywhere and I will come" attitude towards shows. I am not trying to be argumentative, just stating my honest observation from going to shows........

Jose, give me a break.
Nightwish at HOB sold out in advance.....
Doesn't seem to be the case for the upcoming Pearl Room show.

Don't forget that the HOB concert was in the fall of 2007, about 6 months ago. People might not go to the Pearl Room show because they just saw the band. Oversaturation does have its effects as well...

I don't know why you guys get so defensive about this.

It might seem that I get defensive over this, if that's the case then I'm sorry. :Smug:

It just gets me that some people (not just from this forum) use the excuse of "This show isn't in the city" to not attend.

I also disagree with the thinking of "Shows should be in the city where they belong". Someone tell me one good reason for that.

I don't know, I work 50 + hours a week and I still get to see most of the shows that I want, even on a weekday. Maybe it's just me.

It might seem that I get defensive over this, if that's the case then I'm sorry. :Smug:

It just gets me that some people (not just from this forum) use the excuse of "This show isn't in the city" to not attend.

I also disagree with the thinking of "Shows should be in the city where they belong". Someone tell me one good reason for that.

I don't know, I work 50 + hours a week and I still get to see most of the shows that I want, even on a weekday. Maybe it's just me.

how long have you been going to shows for? there are lots of people who cant make it out to shows due to having families and jobs that require them to work nights. I cant go just to any show because I work from 1PM to 10 PM. If I want to go to a show I have to take a vacation day. So I am very selective with what weekday shows I go to. I am even taking a non paid day on friday of Powerfest just to go to see Iced Earth without losing a vacation day. There are people who have been going to shows for a real long time and are kind of jaded at having one good band and 4 locals opening or having to drive way out to see a show with a decent at best line up.

Like what has been stated many times. There are tons of people in the city who do not have cars. I dont think that suburban folks realize this. In the city, there are lots of people who never have even driven a car. Never needed it, we have buses and trains to get around. So a trip to the burbs is out of the question unless you have a freind who has a car and is already going to the show. The walk up traffic for a city show will always beat any burb show. There is more of a condensed population down here.

I know lots of people who are like....Mokena? huh? It already turns them off from going. While I am glad there is a place that is booking metal shows regularly. I doubt competiton will get tough with Bottom Lounge and Reggies, I dont think they are going to want to risk taking high demands when they could easily go with a punk band that is asking for less and getting the same size crowd.

We can argue all day about this....I am sure we all will. what else are forums for? But Nightwish was sold out both times, and even earlier than we are now to the show that is coming up. I dont think the Pearl Room show is even sold out yet. I guess we will have to wait and see. Just because a band played close to that other day never effected me going. If I like a band I will see them whenever.

I don't think anyone said "Shows belong in the city...."
I have been going to shows since the 80s.
It was great being able to go to shows at suburban places like The Thirsty Whale, McGreevys, JackHammers, McGregors, VFW halls everywhere, etc...

We are of a small ilk who will travel to city or burbs to see a band we like.

Jose - You are single. I too work 50 + a week..The difference is when I go to shows, it means leaving a wife and two children home alone, so no, I won't do that to see a questionable headliner with 4 unknown locals. That's awesome that you do! Before having kids, I went to many shows that I would certainly skip now.

That being said, maybe Rob and Chris realize things like this as well, and aided in the decision of some of the bands they booked this year..... Can't rely on the old farts these days!!! :lol:

how long have you been going to shows for?

10 yrs.

There are people who have been going to shows for a real long time and are kind of jaded at having one good band and 4 locals opening or having to drive way out to see a show with a decent at best line up.

Is it a given that you must be there when doors open? I've shown up late to shows and still got a good spot.

Jose - You are single. I too work 50 + a week..The difference is when I go to shows, it means leaving a wife and two children home alone, so no, I won't do that to see a questionable headliner with 4 unknown locals. That's awesome that you do! Before having kids, I went to many shows that I would certainly skip now.

how long have you been going to shows for? there are lots of people who cant make it out to shows due to having families and jobs that require them to work nights. I cant go just to any show because I work from 1PM to 10 PM. If I want to go to a show I have to take a vacation day. So I am very selective with what weekday shows I go to. I am even taking a non paid day on friday of Powerfest just to go to see Iced Earth without losing a vacation day.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Even for me life gets in the way.

We can argue all day about this....I am sure we all will. what else are forums for?

I have to argue online everyday, just like I need to show the horns in every picture. :kickass: