Nightwish / Sonata Arctica tour dates

Bob says a lot of things!!! :lol:

Well, you say we are pointing out the obvious, yet you question why certain shows are poorly attended.

Keep in mind, there are a LOT more shows these days, more than ever!!!! Each year, more and more international bands begin touring the states.

It's only April, and there are amazing shows booked all the way through next October.

It's awesome that you support both big and small shows. A lot of people with different situations (IE - work, family, school, financial constraints, etc) are more selective.

Shows like Firewind, Sabbat, Therion, Posessed, etc headlining the Pearl Room with no solid touring support act will certainly feel the effects......

I also assume you hold tightly to the Pearl Room as it is a bigger venue that has booked your band, so you have a "vested" interest in seeing it continue as a going concern. I totally get that, and would most likely feel the same way if I were in your shoes.

Look, Bob and I have been to the Pearl Room for bands we have wanted to see. You shouldn't be so concerned about our thoughts on the matter. What is of more importance are the thousands of potential fans who have NOT been to Pearl Room.

It's awesome that you support both big and small shows.

Gracias.

I also assume you hold tightly to the Pearl Room as it is a bigger venue that has booked your band, so you have a "vested" interest in seeing it continue as a going concern. I totally get that, and would most likely feel the same way if I were in your shoes.

Not just mine but a lot of locals in general. I appreciate seeing local bands on a "real stage" rather than shitty bars.

Not just mine but a lot of locals in general. I appreciate seeing local bands on a "real stage" rather than shitty bars.

And that's awesome..
Though I do have to question all the locals who have played the Pearl Room.
Do you spend time flyering both the city and suburbs for your shows there, or simply rely on Pearl Room advertising?

I know this is a completely different topic, but somewhat related..

The Pearl Room site and My Space rarely lists the opening bands.

I wouldn't know you guys were playing the Possessed gig , had you not posted it here.

Have you flyered for this show at all the obvious places?
(IE - Reckless, Metal Haven, Rolling Stones, Beyond The Limit, the Alley, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Hot Topic (yes, Hot Topic), etc, etc)

I bet dollars to donuts that VERY few people even know Possessed is touring. I bet fewer than that are aware of the support acts.

Do you spend time flyering both the city and suburbs for your shows there, or simply rely on Pearl Room advertising?

As you pointed out, The Pearl Room rarely lists the locals on their page, and when they do they call you Bau Merda. :Smug:
Some people here have witnessed myself and some of the band handing out flyers after shows at The Pearl Room. I've handed out flyers at the HOB once at the Blind Guardian show but it was because we play the same style of music. I highly doubt handing out flyers at an Ace Frehley audience will bring anyone to see Possessed so I didn't do that.

I wouldn't know you guys were playing the Possessed gig , had you not posted it here.

That says a lot more about me than anything.

Have you flyered for this show at all the obvious places?
(IE - Reckless, Metal Haven, Rolling Stones, Beyond The Limit, the Alley, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Hot Topic (yes, Hot Topic), etc, etc)

I never even been there.

I bet dollars to donuts that VERY few people even know Possessed is touring. I bet fewer than that are aware of the support acts.

You'd be surprised as I was as well. It's just a totally different audience.

Isn't the point about opening for a big band is that you will be exposed to their audience?

Isn't the point about opening for a big band is that you will be exposed to their audience?

Yes, but who is going to flyer for the show in a specific city, except for the venue and the local bands?

Also, wouldn't it help the relationship with the club if they knew you guys were flyering?

It sounds like you do, and that's great! Many bands don't...

I don't know why you guys get so defensive about this.

lol @ the pot.

Jose: "hey, here's a situation coming up with Nightwish where we have chance to experimentally verify the difference in attendance between different venues."

Jason: "NO!!! Why would you care about gathering real data?!? Instead, we should just continue to speculate based on our own personal biases and little else! So we will ignore any new data that comes in!"

It's particularly funny because I bet the actual data will end up supporting Jason's viewpoint, which I don't think Jose would be surprised by.

The cool thing is that when the data comes in, we'll be able to say "a show at the Pearl Room reduces attendance by X% vs. House of Blues", and we'll actually have some confidence in the value of X.

Neil

lol @ the pot.

Jose: "hey, here's a situation coming up with Nightwish where we have chance to experimentally verify the difference in attendance between different venues."

Jason: "NO!!! Why would you care about gathering real data?!? Instead, we should just continue to speculate based on our own personal biases and little else! So we will ignore any new data that comes in!"

It's particularly funny because I bet the actual data will end up supporting Jason's viewpoint, which I don't think Jose would be surprised by.

The cool thing is that when the data comes in, we'll be able to say "a show at the Pearl Room reduces attendance by X% vs. House of Blues", and we'll actually have some confidence in the value of X.

Neil

:lol::lol::lol:

If I seemed like I was getting defensive, it is because I don't think my point was getting across.....

I don't wish ill will on the Pearl Room.
I just happen to prefer House of Blues.
I don't have to say I love the Pearl Room, just because Powerfest is held there.

I have no personal stake in where shows are.
I am not currently in a band who would benefit of supporting one venue over another.

If there is a show I want to see at the Pearl Room, I will happily attend.

I don't really think anyone can argue as to whether or not a show would be better attended at HOB VS the Pearl Room. More people know / have been to the HOB. To Bob's point (Which for whatever reason a majority of you fail to see as valid), the HOB generates a TON of walk in traffic that you won't have at a venue like the Pearl Room.

The discussion, to me at least, has nothing to do with, "What venue is better?" In due time, maybe more and more people will trek out to the Pearl Room. I still think a lot of people are oblivious as to where Mokena, IL even is!

Instead, we should just continue to speculate based on our own personal biases and little else! So we will ignore any new data that comes in!"

Complete 100% bullshit my friend.......

I am basing my conclusions on shows I have been to at both venues
(As well as from what I have heard from others).

How are my conclusions biased?
Its the same drive for me to either venue.
I am speaking simply to attendance for one VS the other, not my preference of one over another.

I don't really think anyone can argue as to whether or not a show would be better attended at HOB VS the Pearl Room.

And I don't think anyone was arguing that. I was just questioning your odd discouragement of scientific inquiry. This is just repeating my last post, but I'll use real quotes this time:

Jose: "I wonder..."

Jason: "Jose, give me a break".

He wasn't even making any claims, just saying that there is an opportunity for such claims to get some backing.

In an alternative scenario:

Jose Copernicus: "I wonder...maybe the Earth revolves around the Sun, instead of the other way around. There's an eclipse coming up soon, maybe I can use it to gather some data."

Pope Jason: "Copernicus, give me a break. EVERYONE knows the Sun revolves around the Earth. What value would there be in gathering any experimental data? We can discover the truth behind everything through logical deduction and common sense. Because common sense is never wrong. So don't waste your time with 'wonder'. Just listen to what I have to say, and believe it!"

Don't forget that the HOB concert was in the fall of 2007, about 6 months ago. People might not go to the Pearl Room show because they just saw the band. Oversaturation does have its effects as well...

Yeah, unfortunately we can't eliminate ALL variables, but this is probably as close as we'll ever come (especially since both shows are even on the same night of the week). And then, the September show back at HoB might even help us to eliminate the "oversaturation" variable.

Neil