NIGHTWISH's Imaginaerum Now streaming

Anette sounds absolutely fantastic on this!!!! I don't see how anyone can listen to this and think that Annette isn't good on this.

It really struck me as a massive amount of growth between DPP and Imaginaerum. Those who thought her a "Pop Princess" will be put in their places.

it's a solid album. I can definitely do without the last 2 songs and not to sound like a bandwagonner but Slow, Love, Slow is definitely the standout track.

spun it 3 times since yesterday!

the album is definitely great and much better than DPP, but there are a few I personally didn't care for.... but even those songs were good for what they were.

Special edition "IMAGINARIUM" and special edition t-shirt shipped today wooohoooo, should have it by Christmas, or earlier i hope.

The record is OK, some, as expected, really fine moments. But in general TH continues to pilot his ship closer and closer to the cliff. Seems like Empu and Jakka could have just about sat this one out. Marko too. The “band” clearly plays second fiddle to the orchestra (no pun intended.) Sure every band evolves and changes by necessity, but when the excess gets unwieldy then things start to fall apart. Gone, mostly at least, is the terrific song structure, the chugging guitars and lush keys on top of the great melodies. The music stood for itself and it didn’t matter much, it seems, who sang; although TH clearly chose Annette to reduce the focus on the vocals. Now, the songs, the band, are often in service to the orchestra. It’s too much and beginning to sound much the same.

Please don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Nightwish. It was this band, through a chance hearing on internet radio, that opened the door to a whole world of wonderful Euro prog and power metal. But if TH wants to do film-like music with orchestras, he should just do it. He’s leaving his “band” behind with this kind of an effort.

Txprog, what I think you need to keep in mind is that Imaginaerum was written with the film in mind. I keep reading reviews stating that that songs aren't full and epic and hooky like the albums of the past, but people just keep forgetting that this album is a SOUNDTRACK to a movie! Thus, it's not fair to judge it like you would a regular Nightwish album loaded with typical Nightwish signature songs. If they did that, this cd wouldn't fit the soundtrack of a movie at all!........

The musical pieces were made to fit the various scenes of the movie that they had in mind. I just wish people would realize this.... Who knows, when the movie comes out, you might see a scene and realize, wow, that musical piece really fits this scene perfectly!!!

Again, it's a soundtrack, nothing more, nothing less, and I think it's one of the best movie soundtracks I've heard in a real long time!!!

Without seeing the movie, how can anyone say how they would have done a musical piece differently to fit the scene better?

The same might be said for Within Temptation's The Unforgiving or even Andy Kunz's Abydos. Music written for a greater project shouldn't necessarily be indicative of the band or the composer's future direction. Need to give it more spins to absorb, but I already love this album and look forward to receiving the instrumental disk.

this album is a SOUNDTRACK to a movie!

No, it's not.

It's a regular rock/metal album with normal song structures (lead vocals, verse/chorus, etc.) that was composed before there was even a thought of linking it with a movie. The movie idea came only after Tuomas (or the record label?) decided to shoot a music video for every song on the album, and from there the director came up with the idea of linking them together in a full-length movie, creating a screenplay, adding actors and dialogue, etc.

With a few exceptions (the intro/outro, Arabesque, the interminable second half of "Song of Myself") it is obviously not music that is intended to be used as a traditional film score, which must sit behind dialogue and scenery. In fact, a completely separate composer created the score for the movie.

I'm sure the songs of the album (or versions of them) will appear as musical set-pieces within the film, just as "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Lady Marmelade", and "Like a Virgin" appeared in 'Moulin Rouge'. But no one goes around saying "In order to judge 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', you have to understand it was written as a movie soundtrack!!!"

Neil

The record is OK, some, as expected, really fine moments. But in general TH continues to pilot his ship closer and closer to the cliff.

If by "the cliff" you mean "selling 50,000 copies on release day in one country", sure.

Seems like Empu and Jakka could have just about sat this one out. Marko too..

And I'm done reading. You clearly didn't listen to the album.

Seems like Emppu and Jukka(Julius) could have just about sat this one out. Marko too. The “band” clearly plays second fiddle to the orchestra (no pun intended.)

First off names corrected, second, you evidently didn't listen to the same album the rest of us did. And as Patrick said selling 50,000 copies on the day of release in one country, is "piloting a ship closer to the cliff" then full speed ahead.

But in general TH continues to pilot his ship closer and closer to the cliff.

Dude, whatever... that statement is so ridiculous, it's not even funny.

If this was really going towards this "cliff" you speak of, do you think 1 in every 100 people in Finland would buy the album the day it came out? Do you have any idea what it's like to sell 50,000 copies in ONE day, in ONE country?

Nightwish has been selling more and more with each release. If that's sailing "towards" the cliff, this cliff you speak of must be really awesome for a band.

If this was really going towards this "cliff" you speak of, do you think 1 in every 100 people in Finland would buy the album the day it came out? Do you have any idea what it's like to sell 50,000 copies in ONE day, in ONE country?

Ok boys, I know anything Nightwish-related always inspires frightening levels of passion, but let's bring some logic back into the fold here!

1.) Early sales figures (especially first *DAY* sales figures!) are almost entirely a reflection of how well a band's *LAST* album was liked, not how well the current one is liked. So that's really not a good comeback.

2.) How about a little healthy skepticism about PR "sales" figures? Maybe Finland really does have some incredible nation-wide real-time sales-reporting system that allows actual sales figures to be reported at midnight on the day of an album's release, but I doubt it. "50,000" sounds more like a PR invention. Perhaps it's just the classic lie where they use the "units shipped" number, though I don't even know what that means in today's electronic world.

For the record, I don't think this album will drive Nightwish off the cliff, and I have no doubt that it has sold/will sell in bunches. My personal reaction so far is that it's a good, unsurprising album that doesn't have quite the "hits" that DPP had, and thus, it might not generate as much enthusiasm for the *next* album cycle as DPP did for this one.

Neil

First of all, let me just say I am *not* a Nightwish fanboy by any means. That being said, here we go...

1.) Early sales figures (especially first *DAY* sales figures!) are almost entirely a reflection of how well a band's *LAST* album was liked, not how well the current one is liked. So that's really not a good comeback.

Fair enough. We'll see with the next record.

2.) How about a little healthy skepticism about PR "sales" figures? Maybe Finland really does have some incredible nation-wide real-time sales-reporting system that allows actual sales figures to be reported at midnight on the day of an album's release, but I doubt it. "50,000" sounds more like a PR invention. Perhaps it's just the classic lie where they use the "units shipped" number, though I don't even know what that means in today's electronic world.

According to the site where the info came from (popular Finnish website/music magazine called Rytmi), that's exactly what happened. This number was published midnight after the day of release. PR numbers? What does that matter? Soundscan releases numbers the same way (not necessarily the exact amount sold). That being said, even if they're both releasing "PR" numbers, why don't you compare them? Kamelot sold what, 6,000 of these "PR numbers" the first week last time. In the US. Nightwish sold 50,000 "PR numbers" the first day. In Finland. Now compare.

I just wanted to add my grain of salt here by saying that I always try to stay as far away from the "sales figures = quality". As we all know this would mean metal is shitty music compared to teh Biebersaurus.

Added to this, as much as I hated Anette's voice on the previous album, I am looking forward to checking this one out judging by the streaming/sample tracks I have heard.

A few more words from me. My “off the cliff” comment did not refer to Nightwish’s popularity or status. This record will do very well in Europe, likely top the charts there like the last one. Despite their efforts and one-off show in LA it probably won’t do that great in the US, but we all know about that and should congratulate the Europeans for their excellent taste in music.

My comment had to do the music and the direction. Yes, I have listened to the record several times and enjoy it. But you cannot dispute the fact that the orchestra and choirs and boys choir and hurdy gurdy (or whatever that thing is) is ever more prominent and the other guys less so, and that some of this stuff is starting to get redundant.

What’s next, how far does TH go before he indeed goes “off the cliff” and Nightwish becomes nothing more than the TH project (maybe it already is) rather than a band? I have no idea at all how anybody in the band feels about the direction TH is taking things; but I suppose if I were a guitarist in a rock band I’d want to play guitar, not sit around a studio in London observing an orchestra, choir, and all sorts of other instrumentalists making the music I’d want to be making. As I said, if TH wants to make orchestral records, maybe he should do it apart from Nightwish.

Anyhow, just my two cents. And now I’ll spin the record again…….