No more 'Music For Nations'

chazzyf

Feb 7, 2002
Manchester, UK
Sorry if this is old news, but it wasn't old news to me

Sad News - Legendary U.K. record label Music For Nations — current home of OPETH and ANATHEMA and past home of METALLICA, CRADLE OF FILTH, TESTAMENT and countless other metal bands — has officially closed its doors. The company's catalogue — which has previously included titles from artists as varied as LOST HORIZON and FRANK ZAPPA — will be folded into parent company Zomba Records Group (the world's largest independent music group).

Launched in 1983 by Martin Hooker, Music For Nations established itself as a European leader in the rock and metal world, with early signings like METALLICA (who had three gold albums while on MFN), SLAYER and MEGADETH paving the way. As Music For Nations grew, the company expanded its operation to include not just licensed acts from the USA, but its own signings.

The old
www.musicfornations.co.uk now redirects to
http://www.zombarecords.com/ - UK home of Britney, R.Kelly, Outcast and other vomi-inducing crap.

What's to become of Anathema ... and Opeth. It doesn't sound to me like Zomba is the sort of group that will be interested in either artist. It sucks for both bands.

Risquit said:
They've been dreadfully underpromoted. Hopefully the bigger label can give them a boost. If AND gets heard, it will sell, no doubt.

no kidding... i don't even think they need a bigger label, just one that gives more support... i've literally seen absolutely NO advertising for AND since it has been released... I'd really like to hear what Danny has to say about this... he may know more than any of us at this point

they got it from there forum.. but don't have the link anymore,.. so try google to found it.. orr ask someone nicely..

well its more because of Katatonia and MDB albums, I can have them faster than MFN albums, also Opeth albums here are too expensive, and this is the moment I still dont have A Natural D., if you are in Europe well maybe for you its better but worldwide peaceville is better for me ;)

:wave:

Cerulean said:
Was Peaceville that good in your opinion? All they care for (nowadays at least) is releasing re-issues to make some easy cash...
And it's been a great way for me to snap up the old hard to get releases. Peaceville has always been a great label. Look at the advertising coverage they give My Dying Bride and Katatonia... compare that to Music For Nations' efforts with Anathema and Opeth and it's deplorable how little MFN actually gives them. At least that's how it appears to an outsider like me.