"non-centered" waveform

Bob Gren

New Metal Member
Aug 3, 2012
Hi everyone, first time poster but long time lurker here!
I recently bought a new interface (focusrite scarlett 2i2) to replace my old toneport. Pres are amazing, much cleaner than line 6s. However I seem to get a new problem when recording audio: the waveform seems to be "tipping" more on the lower side, if that makes any sense. As in, when I was using the toneport, the waveform was nicely centered and mirrored on the center axxis. But with the focusrite, when one side is clipping, the other is not even half way up...
I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. I've tried with two different mics, with a DI, with different cables etc but still the same issue.
Any thoughts on what I could do to fix that?

By the way I tried using the search feature but really didn't know what to type in to find anything relevant, my apologies if this is a repost or something :)

Cheers in advance!

I've seen this happen a few times before. I think it was with a Profire 2626 and tracking vocals. Didn't hear any audible badness, though.

@Soultrash, when you mean DC offset, you referring to some king of mains issue? The interface itself is bus powered, but my whole rig is plugged in about 3 different multisocket thingies all plugged on one another... Not the healthiest of solutions, but will try unpluggin everything but my laptop and interface and see how it goes!
@Bryan, well I don't mind the waveform not looking quite as pretty as it should, but the problem is that it clips way before it actually should... I mean I'm not even half way through on the pre and still it clips, even though the indicators on the interface itself show that everything is green. I am officially puzzled. :p

Oh and also, do you guys know what this type of problem could be called so that I can try and read up on the interface, see if other people have got the same issue?

Well I can actually hear it clipping... I mean, I could just pull the pre gain down and it would sound alright but the recording itself would sound lower in volume compared to what I got with my toneport, which wasn't clipping. It's not a major problem by any means, just curious as to why it would behave that way!
What do you mean by Pad?

Does your interface have a "Pad" button? Usually drops the signal a good amount of dB. If the problem keeps up, I'd either return it or turn the pre gain down so it doesnt clip, then just add the volume post process.

Nope none of that on the interface. However the problem does seem to have something to do with the mains, tried switching stuff around and it's a lot less noticeable now! Thank you guys for your insight, this forum is awesome :)

It does have a pad switch but that shouldn't offset the signal, certainly doesn't do that for me. Could you post a screenshot or a sound clip of the DI? Also are you using the line or instrument setting on the interface? I've noticed that the instrument setting is completely useless for actually recording direct, which is ironic as that's supposedly what it's for. Hell, perhaps it's backwards on my interface but on that setting it's clipping even with 0 gain on the interface, I have to use the line setting with gain at around 12 o'clock.

I second the DC offset notion though, try plugging things in somewhere else.