Non-metal music stuffs (recommendations)

Dred

His Dudeness
Jan 8, 2002
Massachusetts
I'm bored of metal....except for Baroness (whom I just discovered,) so I'm looking for recommendations that are not metal at all

Bands I've recently gotten into, not saying you need to recommend me stuff that's similar, I'm just throwing them out there:

Andrew Jackson Jihad
Arcade Fire
Battles
Dan Deacon
The Decemberists
Do Make Say Think
Gogol Bordello
Iron & Wine
Justice
LCD Soundsystem
Maserati
This Will Destroy You

you're bored of metal... so you ask for music recommendations from a METAL forum. wow, someone lock this.

Basically, Indie music?

If by indie you mean "indepentant" and not just the genre, then yeah....sure. Just not metal. There's only like 2 "indie" bands I listed....a couple "post-rock" bands, Justice and Dan Deacon are electronic stuff, AJJ is folk-punk-ish. I'll also accept good hip-hop. I like aesop rock and mos def and such. I just want more obscure shit.

Tangerine Dream for ambient electronic.
Legend Soundtrack, Tangram, and Great Wall of China being my favourites.
For more dancey, fast electronic, try VnV Nation. Don't know that stuff, not my thing, but I have friends who are into it.

Agalloch, have some grunge inspired black folk metal, but some other stuff that is just like neo folk style stuff.
Nice and ambient as I like it, Check out The White. If you want some of their metal stuff aswell, Ashes agasint the Grain is really chill, quite grunge inspired when you hear it.

Muse is awesome, can't stop listening to them lately. Black Holes and Revelations, and Origin of Symetry are my favorite, but its all good.

Had to listen to alot of R.A. the Rugged Man this weekend. Not a hip-hop guy but it was pretty chill. Toronto local K-os is pretty good though.

If you want to know about some Electronic, or industrial stuff, or more hip-hop just ask. Not my area of expertise, but thats basically all certain freinds of mine listen to.

Edit: Oh shit
Flowbots, They rule.

[ame]http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=KfprDj8AMY0[/ame]

I know someone who was in the same situation as you are. He got bored of metal too and started going into funk music. He said metal had become too simple for him and funk was more technical. Whatever..:)

Are you into electronic music at all? I've just discovered Ladytron and it's pretty cool so far...
I like Dan Deacon, Justice, Daft Punk, and crappy techno pop...so, yes?
Edit: Oh shit
Flowbots, They rule.
Yes. Yes they do.
If you like ska, listen to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. They're amazing, even though everyone only knows one freakin' song by them.
I bummed Dicky Barrett a cigarette when I was in high school. :D
I know someone who was in the same situation as you are. He got bored of metal too and started going into funk music. He said metal had become too simple for him and funk was more technical. Whatever..:)
It's not that I dislike metal, there's just nothing new that interests me. I still listen to my collection, but I'm always in need of new music, and metal just doesn't cut it anymore.

I've been amazingly addicted to this album for the last week or so, and then I saw this trailer....and the game looks amazing, though I'm sure some of you have seen it already. He's just so damned cute! (band is Battles, btw if anyone is interested)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh, yeehu, now I can recommend you all my not-metal bands I listen to..;)

Dredg are really awesome... you really should listen to them! :)
And some more good ones are Anathema, Staind, Radiohead, Deftones, Incubus, Muse, Slut, Jimmy Eat World,...

...oooor what about some Coldplay or Oasis stuff or maybe The Cranberries? :)

Edit: Hmm...the song "Time To Pretend" by MGMT is quite cool...I didn't listen to some other stuff by them yet, but well. And Underoath are quite cool too, but it's probably not your taste...it's more like Screamo or something. ;)

Oh and... Novembre is a nice band too, but I don't know in which genre I should put them... I just know it's not really like Metal.

Ahh, and From Autumn To Ashes is also very nice. :)