Noob mixes his band's album ITT

I feel like the new mix has too much emphasis on the lows and low mids. I think there is definitely room for more highs to shine through. Perhaps in the guitars?
The kick doesn't bother me at all. Sounds nice and tight to me. Just feel like the mix really lacks high end soar. A/B it with mix 24 and think about it.

@Charlie
You are absolutely right, I've been mixing in headphones that have a lot of clear highs, so after some rest and listening on different speakers and headphones I too decided that it needs more crispness and air in OHs and some more dj-dj in guitars. So I cranked the "air" knob in the NastyVCS on drum bus, put some high shelf on the OHs, added exciter to guitar bus to boost harmonics around 1khz and tweaked the transient shaper on the kick, so it's less metal now (or at least i think so).

Here you go:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/107089785/ftl_29.mp3
Tell me what do you guys think! I guess I'm going a little crazy from trying to make it better, forgetting that better is the good's enemy haha.

anotherpaul, здарова! Как ваша группа называется? Песня крутая! :)

Finally done my mix. Of course it's far from exellence, but here is it:

Dollarosa, liked your mix! Can you tell what was done with vox and guitars?

Did you use triggering devices?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you overcompensated again! hahaha Yes the addition of the highs is nice but I think it's a little too much and sounds a little too processed.
I prefer the more organic sound of mix 24. There are highs in that mix but they don't sound processed. It also has a more natural bass buildup and overall nice balance.
I think we all know about going crazy while mixing hahaha it's especially painful when you're in the band too!

Thanks for sharing the song and files anotherpaul, I really enjoyed giving this one a try. I don't think mine stands up too well compared to the others that have been posted here, but I love the song and had fun!
I also enjoyed listening to your mixes and the improvements in them (and comments from others).

For what it's worth here's my attempt:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104210100/FTL_JIMDCHST_1.wav

Any comments/criticisms are always welcome!

iceman666, hi!
Yup, I've triggered the snare and maybe the kick too (don't remember exactly at the moment), but did not replace them totally.

anotherpaul, 30-th version! OMG! Seems to be a hell for you. Try to have a rest without listening to this track for some time. :)

There's some moments I'd like to mention:
• Kick needs slightly more punch attack to keep it on the surface, not hiding by the bass.
• Snare is too metal for this mix, imo.
• Toms lack brightness a little.
• Bass sounds great!
• Delayed higher guitar part is great too.
• Try to make that distortion on vocal not so harsh.

Overall sounding is good. I like it (maybe just except the snare sound :) ).