NOOB simple rack gear compression question?

Dec 19, 2003
Hey dudes, I was looking to buy a rack compressor, basically to help level out vocal and bass recordings on the way INTO my DAW. I'm sick of sitting for hours trying to even out the dynamics in Melodyne (because compression plug-ins are just inferior to hardware IMHO).

I may want to expand further into rack gear in the future (hence my reason for investing now) but all I wanted to know for the time being is can a rack compressor work in the same way that a guitar effects pedal does?

I.E:

BASS singnal IN----> COMPRESSOR----> processed / compressed signal OUT-----> Audio Interface Input.

Can you plug the bass into the 'input' (of the compressor), and the bass sound comes out of the 'output' (of the compressor) all compressed, ready to be recorded straight into the input of my audio interface?

Or is a rack compressor supposed to essentially 're-amp' the track or something?

Or can it do both?

Sorry if this question sounds retarded to the seasoned pros in here, I'm only used to working with plug ins and have absolutely no idea how rack gear works with a computer.

My next question is naturally, and recommendations (for compressor hardware)?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

I'd settle for:

BASS (CLEAN SIGNAL)--->COMPRESSOR--->(COMPRESSED BASS SIGNAL)--->AUDIO INTERFACE INPUT (sort the rest out later in post production).

If this would work?

EDIT: That could work, why don't you buy a bass pedal compressor?

I think it might introduce noise if it's before the amplification process if you use a compressor with makeup gain.

I just wanted it to to even out dynamics really for vocals and bass. Andy said in his SOS interview that he compresses vox on the way IN, I just thought this might be the way to go with bass too, but I see your point...

Hmm, okay, might look into buying a bass compressor pedal.

But just to answer my original question, a rack compressor can work just like going straight in and out of an effects unit? It's not exclusively just for adding an effect to a channel on an ssl desk? Basically I don't need a patch-bay and mixing desk to use it in a chain, right?

Thanks, sean.

There is nothing wrong with compressing bass on the way in however you need to get it to line level first.

So Bass-->Di (or hiZ in on a mic pre)--->Mic Pre--->Comp--->interface.

Honestly though, if you don't know how to wire it I don't believe you are in any position to assert "compression plug-ins are just inferior to hardware IMHO." I know this is mean of me to point out but if you don't know how to do it you simply don't have the requisite experience to make that call. You should really take the time to learn how to use the plugin compressors you already have before investing in outboard. Yes, outboard can sound better and give you more flavor but you should be able to get 95% of the way there with plugins.

I'd settle for:

BASS (CLEAN SIGNAL)--->COMPRESSOR--->(COMPRESSED BASS SIGNAL)--->AUDIO INTERFACE INPUT (sort the rest out later in post production).

If this would work?

won't fly

rack gear is made to accept a line level signal, so you'll need a DI and preamp inbetween the bass and compressor...unless, like noted, you get a compression pedal, which is intended to accept an instrumental level signal

I don't think getting hardware will be benificial to you right now. Seems to me your still learning what this kind of stuf does and how to use it.
For starters, don't use melodyne to even out dynamics. There's tons of FREE comp plug ins that are pretty decent. Classic compressor VST, Blockfish, Rough Rider. For really killing dynamics there's the W1 limiter (waves clone). All of these are great, work well and are easy to learn.

To use a comp you've to put it after your mic pre.

Decent hardware comps are also quite expensive. The cheapest decent new one i can think of is the FMR RNC (175 euro) and most decent units are 5 times that price.

I've used hardware compressors in rented studios before, I just don't know how to wire them up! Mostly because I've never owned one. The compressed sound from hardware (in my experience) is much better and realistic than anything I've heard from plug in's, and I did say that this was IMHO I.E other people are welcome to a different opinnion.

I think I've reached the point of what I can do with software plug-ins and just wanted to try something different.

I take on board what people are saying about the pre-amp, I can add a pre-amp at the beginning of the chain!

But basically all I wanted to know was:

"can a rack compressor work just by going straight in and out (like an effects unit)? It's not exclusively just for adding an effect to a channel on an ssl desk? Basically I don't need a patch-bay and mixing desk to use it in a chain, right?"

Again, thanks for the replies, your help is much appreciated!

Thanks, sean.

I think I've reached the point of what I can do with software plug-ins and just wanted to try something different.

If you said you are "sick of sitting for hours trying to even out the dynamics in Melodyne (because compression plug-ins are just inferior to hardware IMHO)" then you just gotta work on it. If you're not ready to spend quite a bit (if you are, get an LA2A and rejoice ;)), I'm afraid you might end up with a medium priced unit and still not getting the sound you want or simply just fooling yourself into thinking it sounds good just because you used a physical unit.

I don't mean this with the slightest intent of sounding like a dick, but the quality of even the free plug-ins nowadays is at a level that you should have no problem getting the bass under control with them. When you start feeling you really have a good grasp of using them, maybe then it's time to start adding different flavors in.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm only trying to save you from regretting buying something you don't really need. I've done it a gazillion times only to realize the problem wasn't in the gear at all :)

I can get decent results with plug in's (although I usually need to manually edit dynamics too slightly - maybe because I'm uber fussy about compression and levels, or maybe it's just really sloppy bass plaing, I' don't know), I'm just after that extra 5% quality I guess (that someone mentioned earlier). The software compressors just arn't doing it for me, and that's not because I don't know how to use them or anything like that.

My question is, can a hardware (rack gear) compressor be used in a normal signal chain, or is it only really used for adding effects to SSL mixing desks? I.E if i buy it, plug a bass into a preamp, then plug the the preamp signal into the input of the compressor, then plug a cable into the 'output' of the compressor, will that be a compressed signal? Or do I need a mixing desk / patch bay to make it magically work? If anyone understands what I'm asking, please answer!

Thanks again, sean.

My question is, can a hardware (rack gear) compressor be used in a normal signal chain, or is it only really used for adding effects to SSL mixing desks? I.E if i buy it, plug a bass into a preamp, then plug the the preamp signal into the input of the compressor, then plug a cable into the 'output' of the compressor, will that be a compressed signal? Or do I need a mixing desk / patch bay to make it magically work? If anyone understands what I'm asking, please answer!

Thanks again, sean.

Yeah, it'll work, but you can also just route an output from your interface straight into the compressor, route the output of the compressor back into the interface and use it as an insert. That way you won't be stuck with just the printed signal if you want to change it later. Or you can use the link out of the DI-box to capture the clean signal in parallel with the compressed one.

Yeah, it'll work, but you can also just route an output from your interface straight into the compressor, route the output of the compressor back into the interface and use it as an insert. .

Thanks Jarkko, you answered my question! :)

The thing about the insert you suggested sounds like a better idea!

Do I need any kind of special ins / outs on my interface to do this? Or will any normal ones do? And would this this be routed through the analogue in/outs on the compressor, or the digital in/ous?

Thanks again, sean!

Thanks Jarkko, you answered my question! :)

The thing about the insert you suggested sounds like a better idea!

Do I need any kind of special ins / outs on my interface to do this? Or will any normal ones do? And would this this be routed through the analogue in/outs on the compressor, or the digital in/ous?

Thanks again, sean!

Any line out from the interface will do, as long as you can route it from your software. You can use either the analog line ins and outs, or if the compressor and your interface has similar digital connections (SPDIF, for example), you can connect them together with the appropriate cable.

What interface are you using and which compressor do you have in mind?