NOOB simple rack gear compression question?

Actually, I have a Triple-C Stereo plugged in as an insert on my Profire via S/PDIF all the time, works fine :) All you need is two S/PDIF cables between the units and you're good to go.

The Triple-C is FAR from a mojo, coloured tone kind of compressor, though. It's a relatively clean compressor. Actually, I rarely even use it.

Ahh, cool, first hand information then!

Can the 'Stereo' Tripple-C be used for Mono too (maybe by just using the left in/out)?

And, any other compressors that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Ahh, cool, first hand information then!

Can the 'Stereo' Tripple-C be used for Mono too (maybe by just using the left in/out)?

And, any other compressors that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Sure it can.

If you want something with a bit more soul, find someone to build you a GSSL or 1176 clone or find one online. I started a thread about these a couple of days ago. If you have the cash, consider the real SSL or 1176, an LA2A or a Distressor. They are all great units that can be used in lots of different situations.

Also, Ermz likes his vintage DBX160 quite a bit, and the clips I've heard of it have been really impressive. You can get those for fairly cheap on Ebay.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Interesting enough I was chatting with Timo Tolkki (ex-Stratovarius) on facebook the other day and he recommended the Cranesong Trakker:

"Trakker is a compressor that simulates different compressors. Its sort of many compressors in one. I compress the vocals a bit going in, a few dbs, but not a lot. I do the final mix alone myself. I like to use SSL desk for mixing and I have several studios I like. This one I will mix in Italy".

His full set up for his current recording was:

- APi lunchbox with Great River MP500, Vinatge Design M581mk2 and Buzz Elixir and Cranesong Trakker, Macbook Pro with Genelec studio monitors.

If this is of any interst!

Thanks, sean. :Spin:

To be honest, a few dBs isn't really that much - and he certainly won't be extracting the "tonal character" of the compression by that amount, imho.

If you're looking to control bass specifically - then look at a using multi-band compression. I find that normal compressors have to work so much harder with all that low end that it ruins the mids. Splitting the frequencies into bands makes the bass a lot clearer and cutting.

A general all round compression unit that's recommended are the DBX166 or FMR RNCs. They're pretty cheap and cheerful, but do the job of compressing stuff well.

Obviously if you've got more cash to spend.. the world opens up and you can really choose something which is built for tonnes character when doing serious reduction.