Noobie mix, help a brotha out

crypticbastard

New Metal Member
Sep 17, 2009
Hello! I'd like a little moment of clarity before this thread goes in thy hands. I am quite new to mixing/mastering and I am well aware that my mix probably sounds like crap to you guys. I record with a very simple poor man's rig, basically Squier Strat (partially explains why the solos sound so chewed up) to PC AC'97 Line-in to Guitar Rig 3 in Reaper. I'm pretty sure you don't care much about poorly manned and entirely digital recording (which I understand, since fiddling around with mics and amps is what I do in my dream world), but nevertheless, this is my latest mix:

http://www.4shared.com/file/133334395/9141c79b/tears_loud.html

It's a cover of Land Of Tears by Pestilence. I want to know about everything that's wrong with the mix (not the playing) and how can I improve it. Especially how to make the damn thing louder without burning the sound. If it's that bad, please contain the need to lash out at me and don't post. I'm quite the gentleman, complete with rocking out to tech death :D And I respect this forum, so let's preserve the good tone. Cheers!

Drums are usual EZ with it's dry preset and a touch of reverb and compression. I'll have to look into processing the different pieces of the kit separetely. Thanks!