Nope. I still don't get it...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Listening to "Hammerheart" for the second time through. Here's what I hear:

1. Horrid production. I guess some people feel that a $3 production budget serves to enhance the atmospheric quality of a CD. To each their own.

2. Quorthon can't sing. There are parts that actually make we wince.

3. The chorus of "Father to Son" was completely lifted from Manowar's "Bridge of Death".

4. Simplistic music. The guitar and drum play on this CD are incredibly basic.

5. The lyrics, when not smothered in a thick layer of cheese, are redundant. They read as if Quorthon didn't actually know a great deal about Viking lore, and was forced to rehash the same themes over and over again.

From "Shores in Flames"

Tor of thunder way up high
Swing your Hammer that cracks the sky

From "Valhalla"

God of Thunder, Who crack the sky
Swing your Hammer, Way up high

From "Baptised in Fire and Ice"

I saw the Hammer way up high
Cause lightning in the rain

Yes, I get it. Thor had a hammer. He hammered in the morning... he hammered in the evening... he hammered all over this viking land.

There are some decent moments on this disc, but I'm hardly impressed. Clearly, I'm in the minority (at least on this board). That's cool. People like what they like, and they're entitled to whatever opinion they see fit to hold. So, you'll have to excuse me if I think you're all a bunch of crack-addicted deaf mutes, if you believe this holds a candle to anything that Opeth has ever done. :loco:

Zod

Yes, I get it. Thor had a hammer. He hammered in the morning... he hammered in the evening... he hammered all over this viking land.

LOL. :lol:

It's the Quorthon died, we must be nice to him thing.
I don't remember this much Bathory love as in the last 6 months.

I like how every so often somebody puts up their "I fucking hate this much loved album" dissertation. Which reminds me, I listened to In the Nightside Eclipse a few nights ago, it still sucks. :loco:

1) I've heard infinitely worse, and I still think it fits this album. Halls of Moria rule.

2) Nope, he can't. But it doesn't matter because he has conviction.

3) Wouldn't know, don't listen to Manowar.

4) Yep. Doesn't matter.

5) Read them once, didn't pay enough attention to see redundancy.

It took me more than two tries to enjoy this album by the way.

Hmm, the point is to capture the atmosphre and the epic feeling of the album. You can accept that the production ADDS to it, and that Quorthon's voice now matter how technicaly bad, brings chills with its vocal melodies.

No offense Zod, but just like PapaJosh with Graveland, I would never have expected you to like this.

But it is kind of funny seeing you call something "cheese". :tickled:

Bathory, you either "get" it, or you're an idiot. :loco:

General Zod said:
1. Horrid production. I guess some people feel that a $3 production budget serves to enhance the atmospheric quality of a CD. To each their own.

It tends to fit the emotion in the music. There is something to be said about spontaniety when recording music. Bands spend so long getting their sound so polished, they lose that spark to just fucking play. Just plug in and go for it, that's what I say. You have to strike [the hammer] while the iron's hot. :loco:

2. Quorthon can't sing. There are parts that actually make we wince.

Yep. Avoid Twilight of the Gods at all costs. Honestly, never ever subject yourself to that album. It'll be like snuff to you - once you've heard it, the damage is done and you'll be scarred for life. The strength of Bathory (to me) rests on the shoulders of Hammerheart and Blood Fire Death - the rest I can live without.

3. The chorus of "Father to Son" was completely lifted from Manowar's "Bridge of Death".

Yes, Bathory loved Manowar.

4. Simplistic music. The guitar and drum play on this CD are incredibly basic.

Thank god.

Clearly, I'm in the minority (at least on this board). That's cool.

Actually you'll find that the entire underground pretty much bows down to Bathory - bear in mind, this is all late 80's material. I bet you $100 Opeth hail Bathory like no other, perhaps almost as much as Porcupine Tree. :loco:

J. said:
No offense Zod, but just like PapaJosh with Graveland, I would never have expected you to like this.
None taken. We talk enough music on this board for the regulars to have a good idea of what we'll like and what we won't like.

J. said:
But it is kind of funny seeing you call something "cheese". :tickled:
Well, the "cheese" comment was just me taking a jab at all the Black Metal fans who like to call the Power Metal stuff cheesey. Really, no matter what genre you listen to, there's enough cheese to go around.

J. said:
Bathory, you either "get" it, or you're an idiot. :loco:
Fair enough.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Actually you'll find that the entire underground pretty much bows down to Bathory - bear in mind, this is all late 80's material. I bet you $100 Opeth hail Bathory like no other, perhaps almost as much as Porcupine Tree. :loco:

I've read many interviews with Mikael where he says what a big Bathory fan he is..

:wave:

Anybody ever see that post by Haughm in the TER forum going off on that dude that said Bathory blew chunks and Agalloch was infinitely better? Funny stuff.

JayKeeley said:
Just plug in and go for it, that's what I say. You have to strike [the hammer] while the iron's hot. :loco:
I can appreciate this approach, within reason.

JayKeeley said:
Yep. Avoid Twilight of the Gods at all costs.
Thanks for the tip.

JayKeeley said:
I bet you $100 Opeth hail Bathory like no other, perhaps almost as much as Porcupine Tree. :loco:
Even if that's true (which I don't hear in Opeth's music), it matters little. Your beloved Megadeath leader is a total Barry Manilow fan. But I wouldn't exactly put Barry above Megadeth.

Zod

MajestikMøøse said:
dude, find it and link me!
You need to ask spaffe, The Unquestioned Lord and Master of the Search (I gave him the torch). It was right around the time Quorthon died, I think the thread was called "Quorthon RIP" or something to that effect.

One Inch Man said:
Anybody ever see that post by Haughm in the TER forum going off on that dude that said Bathory blew chunks and Agalloch was infinitely better? Funny stuff.

Anybody ever see that post by Erik in the RC forum going off on that dude [Papa Josh] that said Bathory blew chunks and Nasheim was infinitely better? Funny stuff.