Nostalgic tunes

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
You know the ones I mean... the songs that take you back to a specific point in your life the instant you hear the first notes. The songs you'll never ever get tired of because they were there for such a significant part of your life. The ones you just can't turn off once they start, lest the memories fade away again.

This song just came up randomly as I sit here and it instantly reminded me of old friends and the good times we had in Vancouver BC (I bought this album at Scrape Records) and the rest of that summer afterwards. It was an epic time and Skydancer will always take me back there.

Now you.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of tori amos, sublime and smashing pumpkins takes me back to hanging out with my good friends in high school, some that i'm still good friends with today and some who aren't in touch anymore, because that was what we'd listen to a lot when hanging out at my friends old house.

our lady peace reminds me of one specific friend.

korn, limp bizkit, godsmack, etc. reminds me of myself in middle school and high school - not so much something i want to revisit haha.

honestly, no distant memories associated with the stuff i listen to now because i've only been listening to it for a few years, and none of my close friends from back then listen to this kind of stuff. i was at record & tape traders earlier and bought a neurosis sticker for my car, and a friends' boyfriend works there so he and i were just geeking out about doom metal, while the friends i came in with just rolled their eyes and wandered around the store, waiting for me. that was pretty awesome.

however:
there are lots and lots of metal songs and albums that remind me of when cara and i wrote letters to each other and she sent me cassettes of bands she listened to, since it was what actually got me into metal, got me on this board, dating will, etc.
a select few...
nevermore - dnb
nevermore - poe
nevermore - dhiadw
opeth - "when"
katatonia - "deadhouse"
morbid angel - "fall from grace"
in flames - "trigger"
prong - "snap your fingers, snap your neck"
faith no more - the real thing
dark tranquility - damage done

lots more stuff. not all stuff that i still listen to, or ever really got into that much, but i just remember hearing those songs for the first time when i was, like, 15 and thinking "wow, this is amazing. i didn't know people made music that sounded like this." some of those songs, i'll hear every so often now and still remember thinking that about that music. <3

It doesn't work for me so much as I would mostly have bad memories associated with songs if I let that sort of association work. I always used music as a way to tune out the rest of my fucked up life, especially in the late teen and early twenty years.

The only good memories from back when are of my first high school, and at that time I was only really aware of Metallica, Megadeth, and AC/DC. I've listened to those albums so many times since that they have lost those specific associations for me.

I guess Type O, White Zombie, and Pantera have some nostalgia for me as they are from my first attempts at broadening my metal horizons. I was working and living in San Antonio at the time, and there was a used cd store near the HEB that had an extensive metal section. I remember I used to pick up a copy of Metal Maniacs every month too :lol:

pretty much everything by Anathema, it ruled my life for years.

Staind will always remind me of middle school.

Nevermore, Black Label Society and Dream Theater remind me of starting high school and just getting into metal.

however:
there are lots and lots of metal songs and albums that remind me of when cara and i wrote letters to each other and she sent me cassettes of bands she listened to, since it was what actually got me into metal, got me on this board, dating will, etc.
a select few...
nevermore - dnb
nevermore - poe
nevermore - dhiadw
opeth - "when"
katatonia - "deadhouse"
morbid angel - "fall from grace"
in flames - "trigger"
prong - "snap your fingers, snap your neck"
faith no more - the real thing
dark tranquility - damage done

lots more stuff. not all stuff that i still listen to, or ever really got into that much, but i just remember hearing those songs for the first time when i was, like, 15 and thinking "wow, this is amazing. i didn't know people made music that sounded like this." some of those songs, i'll hear every so often now and still remember thinking that about that music. <3

:oops::)

Hmm, for me, nothing is more nostalgic than the following KISS albums: Destroyer, Unmasked, Rock And Roll Over, Music From the Elder, Creatures of the Night, Dressed to Kill, Hotter Than Hell, Love Gun, Dynasty, Lick it Up, Asylum, Animalize, and Crazy Nights. Big surprise eh.

Well it's what I was listening to and fell in love with at the ripe old age of three. Anytime I hear any pre-1990 KISS, I'm instantly reminded of being a toddler at our old house with nothing better to do but break out my brother's KISS records and tapes. While he was at school of course. It makes me remember how nice the house was then, the way it smelled, the way the sunlight came in. My toddlerhood was so carefree and awesome.

I know exactly what you are talking about....about 15 years ago one of my buddies died and at the time I was learning to play Fates Warning's "Through Different Eyes" on the guitar. Now every time I hear that song or play it on my acoustic I think of him and everything that was going on at the time. Just recently my best friend's brother died in a motorcylce wreck and I have been deeply into the new Alice In Chains. Now whenever I hear/play "Your Decision" I think of him and his family. Music has an incredible way of etching memories into your brain like this....

The only good memories from back when are of my first high school, and at that time I was only really aware of Metallica, Megadeth, and AC/DC. I've listened to those albums so many times since that they have lost those specific associations for me.

Somewhat similar. There're plenty tunes I'll hear bring to mind a specific place/person/event, but I cannae recall many the now.

Entire albums, though: The Offspring's Smash reminds me of a New Year's Eve party I got spontaneously invited to in my mid-teens. Fond memory.

Also, I think Millencolin's Pennybridge Pioneers was the first cd I bought at the age of 11 or 12, so I suppose that counts.

Pink Floyd's The Wall reminded me of a sister's junkie crackhead ex-bf.

I entered high school with a nu metal mentality, then left it with an extreme metal mentality.

However, I still throw in the occasional Hybrid Theory, reminds me of middle school. In Flames, reminds me of freshman year,too.

Learning to Live by Dream Theater is a big one for me. My parents bought Images and Words when it came out and I wore the fuck out of that tape (yes, cassette). I remember walking around Pike Place Market with my parents, while listening to Images and Words with my Walkman. It was when we first moved here (Seattle area), in 1992. A completely different world as compared to where we had moved from. For some reason, Learning to Live brings back that memory.

I entered high school with a nu metal mentality, then left it with an extreme metal mentality.

However, I still throw in the occasional Hybrid Theory, reminds me of middle school. In Flames, reminds me of freshman year,too.

Oh yeah! I remember when I first heard "Cloud Connected" in 9th grade on a Headbangers Ball CD my friend bought. Other than metalcore shit and traditional heavy metal it was like my first exposure to the real thing.

I know Reroute To Remain is not "true" metal but yeah...In Flames and Iced Earth, gateway bands.

Then it went from melo death, to thrash, to power metal, to black metal, to folk metal, to avant garde, now I just hate everything.

Oh yeah! I remember when I first heard "Cloud Connected" in 9th grade on a Headbangers Ball CD my friend bought. Other than metalcore shit and traditional heavy metal it was like my first exposure to the real thing.

I know Reroute To Remain is not "true" metal but yeah...In Flames and Iced Earth, gateway bands.

Then it went from melo death, to thrash, to power metal, to black metal, to folk metal, to avant garde, now I just hate everything.

R2R is my second favorite In Flames album, I still love it. Actually, I think my first In Flames song was probably Gyroscope, thanks to the local radio station <3

:oops::)

Hmm, for me, nothing is more nostalgic than the following KISS albums: Destroyer, Unmasked, Rock And Roll Over, Music From the Elder, Creatures of the Night, Dressed to Kill, Hotter Than Hell, Love Gun, Dynasty, Lick it Up, Asylum, Animalize, and Crazy Nights.
Same for me except switch Crazy Nights with Revenge. I love that damn album.

Hearing any of Opeth's Morningrise takes me back to this girl I dated for a while in the summer of 05. I met her at the haunt I still work at, and so the only times I saw here were either there or at her house super late at night, as I was working all day long. We walked around at night, in the rain....

...sheesh, I almost drifted off for a minute there. I'll just close by saying "To Bid You Farewell" reminds me of our break-up right before I started college. Ha.

Too many to list for me. However, most of them aren't metal. A lot of soundtrack-type music, which goes right along with my classic movie nostalga lol

BLS's 1919 eternal album, and sonic brew. Maiden's Caught Somewhere in Time and SSoaSS. They all take me back to playing WoW 14hrs+ a day in grade 10. Fucked up that academic year for myself, but damn good simple times nonetheless... I am trying to be a more functional member of society these days now, though.

The opening riff to Under The Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is really nostalgic for me. Takes me back to like 1993.
Also the opening riff to Alive by Pearl Jam.

Ahhh yes, Blood Sugar Sex Magik. What a great album. The title track is soooooooooo good.

Blood sugar baby, she has it. Sex magik.

Last edited by a moderator: