not a typical LSD (1960+e906, DM/BM)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
well, this is not a typical mix for me....
I wasn't aiming for one but wanted to get aggressive kinda mid-school DM/BM sound.

2tr of Recto - Marshall Cab - e906+sm57

overdubs: 5150-marshall1960-e906

natural drums (unfortunately there's a click on some of the tom-fills from the toms swinging against the snare (drummer moved the snare closer to the toms after I set up everything)...still wanted to keep the natural drums, so I gotta live with those clicks I guess).kick is augmentied with 30 D4 Fusion

I know that this is not what most people on the board like, but try to listen to it with the idea in mind of what I wanted to achieve.

not finished, first roughmix:

the Battue

btw, this is the kick and snare I posted the samples of recently.
I could perhaps do the toms as well anyone's interested

I dig it a lot. The tone of the 75s fits this type of music really well. I'm diggin' the drum mix as well. I love me some black metal/death metal.

-Joe

Nice big sound. I think this is the better side of "atypical" tones from you, Lasse.

You don't have to live with the clicks, edit em out or use some kind of "click remover" with a super fast attack and release, it should catch them if they're blatant enough.

thanks.
weel, the problem with the clicks is that they're not really clicks from clipping or so but just the rims of tom and snare touching.
very hard to get rid of those.

Good job. Too much low mids, though, especially for this genre.

BTW, clever decision to mic the 1960 with a 906 :)

How much editing did you do? That sounds like a really tight drummer.

he is fucking tight..
I did do the usual time-correction though. wasn't much though, he's really tight...he's a sessiondrummer I'm working with from time to time.

he played three takes and we picked the best performance of those three..so no comping at all, one continuos take.
there's a place ot two where you can tell that he wasn't sure about the next part (missing snare etc), but I decided to not change/fix it since it didn't bother me much and I wanted to keep the drums on this one as natural as possible..

I always liked how consistenly he hits the snare..it's just getting a tad weaker on the blasts with the ride-bell where he uses the left hand, but he definitely made my life easier

Ooh, the tone is way to muffled IMO Lasse, when I think black metal I think SCREECHING guitars! (just like everything else in the music :loco: ) Seriously, you gotta be a whole lot less shy of the dustcap for this IMO, it's not bad, but feels muffled and woofy! The snare feels pretty sampled also, though I guess that's to the credit of the drummer for being a consistent hitter, and the kick is too thin with its click IMO (not too clicky, just too thin of an attack for me, use that kick from the "Finished mix 5150-Recto thread, that thing fucking ruled, screw genre restrictions! :lol: )

Ooh, way to muffled IMO Lasse, when I think black metal I think SCREECHING guitars! (just like everything else in the music :loco: ) Seriously, you gotta be a whole lot less shy of the dustcap for this IMO, it's not bad, but feels muffled and woofy!

well, wasn't supposed to sound BM thin at all.
it was rather the older Deathmetal sound I had in mind

Hmm, well the music to me sounds straight up black metal, but either way even without any genre considerations I'd still like a lot more presence/cut! (but that's just me :D) And I edited my post while you were replying, btw

hehe, yeah, well I didn't wanna use one of my older samples or something else for the kick cause I wanted to use the original track.

It's not my favorite kicksound either, but neither are most of the mixes the band gave as references...
So I tried not to mix it so it matches my tatse but I wated to match the band's taste but I still wanted it to sound good of course ;)

but so far it's only the first roughmix anyway...we'll see what happens in the end ;)

I think the character of the tone is perfect! No need to go for the Burzum "I recorded the guitars with a transistor radio" sound. I don't think it's muffled. I'd leave it as is!

-Joe

I still think it needs a nice cut starting from around 130hz all the way to 700-800hz, not so much because it sounds like black metal but simply because there's too much by most standards, IMO.

I like the guitar tone's character..it's too good for that style :D

Edit:
he played three takes and we picked the best performance of those three..so no comping at all, one continuos take.
I wish the drummers I work with were like that. Instead, I just finished putting together 17 (yes, seventeen!) parts, most of which with different tempos to form a 5-minute song. I wasn't there when they recorded it but I did record the guitar player and it took him 5 hours to double-track 7 minutes of material, and there's this horrid screeching sound when he moves his hand...anyway, sorry for the OT, just venting.

I still think it needs a nice cut starting from around 130hz all the way to 700-800hz, not so much because it sounds like black metal but simply because there's too much by most standards, IMO.

Yup, if nothing else, that's what I was saying (though a slight boost around 4k would be nice as well!)