Not related to Opeth, but it's related to metal?

I consider myself a music fan with an affinity for hair that is as wild as my persona. It has nothing to do with metal, or even music, why my hair is long. I just think 1. it looks better on me and 2. it better reflects the way i view the world, what with allowing it to be free, and not gelled/slicked/otherwise confined to a specific modern acceptable shape.

that's my opinion. you can keep calling me whatever you want though if it makes you feel better. :Spin:

Frosties said:
I've actually seen someone do something similar. It ruled.

As to what you said before, I don't think shampoo and conditioner are hair products just for girls. I mean, I want my hair to be healthy, just like I want to be healthy.

Then again, if I liked the way I looked if I had to use a curling iron or whatever, then I'd probably do it. Because I really don't believe that as a metalhead I have to be all "fuck this, fuck that". I want to look as good as I can, without having to care what other people think. Just for this reason I don't go out in boxer shorts or tutus, but I wear clothes I like. The same thing about the hair - I wear it however I want to.

Which is why my hair now is less that 5 cm's long...
i know, theres a pic of alexi laiho like hes in a pantene commercial or something. tutus lol.

Kenneth R. said:
I consider myself a music fan with an affinity for hair that is as wild as my persona. It has nothing to do with metal, or even music, why my hair is long. I just think 1. it looks better on me and 2. it better reflects the way i view the world, what with allowing it to be free, and not gelled/slicked/otherwise confined to a specific modern acceptable shape.

that's my opinion. you can keep calling me whatever you want though if it makes you feel better. :Spin:
"wild as my persona"....yeah...
I call you conceited. you want to reflect how you view the world? well, who cares? also, long hair doesn't really express that much, you know...

Alex78 said:
I call you conceited. you want to reflect how you view the world? well, who cares? also, long hair doesn't really express that much, you know...
yea, you're right. i'm ultra conceited. i also must be pseudo intellectual for caring about such things. in fact, i should follow your example and "not care" about anything, that's really metal. :zzz:

Alex78 said:

Fuck off man!!! Ken Rocks!!!

From what I've seen, other than the band members and moonlapse, Ken seems to be the most loved here. You guys should start a club.

BTW, my comment about long hair = metalhead was a joke.

And in fact I know what you mean about reflecting your personality, because there is something in common in the personality of most long haired peoiple - just like there's something common with people who have mullets.

Plus, long hair is just so fun to headbang with...

Frosties said:
From what I've seen, other than the band members and moonlapse, Ken seems to be the most loved here. You guys should start a club.

BTW, my comment about long hair = metalhead was a joke.

Plus, long hair is just so fun to headbang with...
:lol: sorry then, i get so much flak for my opinions i thought you were serious :)

fun fact: I used to be blond. Around the time I got into rock (not metal yet) my hair turned dark.

Just ask to a girl... there are products that do what you want... girls know about that things... at least my friends!.

Anyway I use grease.

Nerd time... Okay, so I was, for 2.5 years, an anthropology major (2 courses left before I switched to music & technology), so I can't help but recall an article I read about the social significance of hair. I just don't buy the whole "I'm too lazy/poor to get a haircut" excuse. Look, deciding not to get your hair cut is still a CHOICE (to paraphrase Rush).

Anyhow, the article was called "Magical Hair", and while I don't have the ability to access scholarly journals online, there's a summary on this guy's Annotated Bibliography.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/beaujot/web2/bib.html#sm

Search for "Hallpike", the author, and you'll find a decent summary (the whole bibliography is rather interesting, actually). There was also a good scholarly response to this article called "Social Hair". Both were interesting reads if you can find them. Can't believe I remember it from 12+ years ago...

I'm of the belief that if you're a guy who has long hair, it signifies that you are outside the realm of "typical" society, whatever that is. An outsider. You don't care about conforming. You're not lazy, you just don't care about conforming to society's ideals. To me, this sounds like a metalhead.

Oh, and the whole "gay" thing? Honestly, I can't think of the last time I saw a gay guy with long hair. Trannies, of course. But gay guys? Nope. I don't think I've ever seen it.

soundave said:
I'm of the belief that if you're a guy who has long hair, it signifies that you are outside the realm of "typical" society, whatever that is. An outsider. You don't care about conforming. You're not lazy, you just don't care about conforming to society's ideals. To me, this sounds like a metalhead.
Darn, I was just going to mention this.

Oh, and the whole "gay" thing? Honestly, I can't think of the last time I saw a gay guy with long hair. Trannies, of course. But gay guys? Nope. I don't think I've ever seen it.
Haha! :Spin:

Kenneth R. said:
honestly, you guys seem far more anal about "hair products" than i thought of most. but then, some of you are girls, and that is normal i suppose. like hell i will ever do any of that stuff though. i'm still an advocate for my wash it, dry it, forget it method.
agreed, actually :Spin:

I have seen a gay guy with long hair. Two actually. they were making out in a gay club. At the time I was surrounded by 3 straight girls. :Spin:

For a non-metal reference: I point to Samson in the Bible, whose hair gave him power, or to those in the 60's who wore it long rebelliously, or the Symphony X Forum's "Great Men in History w/ Long Hair" thread, which has great non-metal examples, mostly of Classical Composers, Physicists, and Mathematicians. :D

Kenneth R. said:
I have seen a gay guy with long hair. Two actually. they were making out in a gay club. At the time I was surrounded by 3 straight girls. :Spin:

Okay. I'll accept that. But I do think it's rare.

Kenneth R. said:
For a non-metal reference: I point to Samson in the Bible, whose hair gave him power, or to those in the 60's who wore it long rebelliously, or the Symphony X Forum's "Great Men in History w/ Long Hair" thread, which has great non-metal examples, mostly of Classical Composers, Physicists, and Mathematicians. :D

Right. Exactly what the article I was talking about said.

hey man, just don't get discouraged when it looks gay in the in between phase. the long to short transition lasts like 3-4 months and on most people it looks terrible, but its worth the patience. also, start conditioning and combing your hair as soon as it starts getting long. i didnt, and i have very nice and curly hair, so it became a mess. it grew out sideways instead of down. i had no choice but to grow some sideburns. thats how i got the nickname "wolverine" lol. i looked just like him, and kept the look up till i could get my grad photos, then i had a hair dresser straighten things out for me haha.