Notebook computer for audio recording

_RiseInside_

Sep 28, 2003
Portugal
the title says it all.

I know there are mac and pc users around here :)

I am a Nuendo + RME Fireface + Lacie D2 usb 2.0/fw 400/fw 800 external drive user.

Is 7200 rpm a must ? Or the 5400 rpm internal hdd does the trick ?

What about getting software ? PC is really easy. I don´t know about Mac...well i can get my hands on a original nuendo and waves bundle software. Is it easy to *cough* crack *cough* them ?

What portable computers do you have ? how many tracks can you record at the same time without problems ? Do you use it to mix ?

If you are looking for 'try before you buy' ;-) mac software then it's easy enough to get off any of the major p2p networks.

On the HDD the internal laptop drive won't cut it, 7,200rpm is theoretically OK for audio work but faster is better. To be able to simultaniously read/write 16 channels of 24/48 audio to a drive without latency you need to look at 7,200rpm as a minimum.

I'm personally crushing over a firewire quad-drive RAID system http://www.craystone.com/storpac/storpacsp40tech.htm :Spin:

With regards to the notebook itself.

I have a p4 2.8ghz, 512mb (not enough), 40gb internal drive, 120gb external USB2 Seagate Ultra-Quiet HDD. I can run anywhere up to 48 channels before I get into trouble, but if I'm running plugins the count drops significantly.

I'd suggest a G4 powerbook over a windows based system any day, I'd gladly use a Mac in a system-critical situation (i.e live) but wouldn't dream of trusting my windows laptop with anything remotle=y important (It just lost me 3 weeks worth of mixing).

I was going to start the exact same thread as I am thinking about buying a powerbook. Bit pricey though.

Im wondering how it will be compared to a desktop PC, I currently have a AMD Athlon 2.1GHz 1GB RAM, using Cubase SX.

I really want to get a Mac but I'm not sure if its worth it from the performance point of view.
I'm planning on getting a laptop regardless, and I would really like something to play around with PT on that can handle plugins and all that fun stuff..... I guess I'll do some more research

If you can stretch to buy a decent powerbook it'll outperform any windows laptop. While technically a AMD/Pentium based machind *might* be faster than a g4, it is still running on Windows!!

If I had a choice I'd choose a 1.4ghz g4 PB over my current laptop in a flash. (although I'd try and get hold of an older generation of PB as I don't like the idea of a backlit keyboard)

Laptop pcs don´t have firewire 800. That was my main issue since i have a fw 800 interface + external hard-disk but after all there´s a lacie firewire 800 cardbus that solves the problem.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10482

A mac powerbook certainly is a good option. NEvertheless Nuendo seems to be optimized for windows. I´ve been hearing complaints from mac + nuendo users. ALso been searching the p2p networks and can´t find much stuff. So...a windows notebook seems to be the way , in my case.

Ive just bought a ibook 12" logic 7 and a 200gb firewire hard drive with an 8mb buffer. So far all is working fine. Im looking at options for cheap USB audio interfaces if anyone as any ideas?

Ive just bought a ibook 12" logic 7 and a 200gb firewire hard drive with an 8mb buffer. So far all is working fine. Im looking at options for cheap USB audio interfaces if anyone as any ideas?