Novembre - Materia

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Novembre - Materia
Peaceville - CDVILEF131P - 2006
By Philip Whitehouse

novembre_materia.jpg

Rome's November continue distancing themselves from their death metal roots, and take a step further into dreamy, atmospheric metal textures with their latest album. Following on from 2001's acclaimed Novembrine Waltz, Materia comes across sounding something like a cross between Katatonia's Viva Emptiness and On Thorns I Lay's Egocentric, while still retaining a sound that is unique to Novembre (mainly through judicious use of Italian lyrics and Carmelo's mercurial vocals).

While they may not be playing death metal anymore, the metallic elements of the bands sound are still present and correct - the excellent production manages to balance a deep, powerful guitar tone and punchy, insistent drumming with sumptuously layered vocals and more melodic, arpeggiated guitars and electronic atmospherics. There are moments, too, where Novembre cut loose and hearken back to their extreme metal past - witness the furious opening to 'Comedia', which sounds like the beginning of Strapping Young Lad's 'Aftermath' - only faster.

The majority of the album lies in the realm of lush, ethereal, captivating melodies and shifting, almost liquid song structures, however. More often than not, however, the band strays too far into the ambient realm, and these sections of Materia wash gently over the listener without ever really lodging themselves in the listener's conscious. When the band strike a balance between commanding songwriting and sheer, sombre beauty, on the other hand the result is magnificent. Which leaves Materia as an intermittently fantastic, but sadly inconsistent release that is worthy of attention, but doesn't quite live up to it's potential.

7.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Novembre's Official Website
Peaceville's Official Website

I believe, dill, that there is more than one instance of death metal vocals on Materia, though they blend in more now than they did on Novembre's past endeavors. I liked this record, but not as much as Novembrine Waltz and Classica. The emotion is just unbelievable, though!