Now Reading...

For the last two weeks I have been working almost non-stop on a research design. I finished it today (it's due tomorrow) and I'm free to read for fun again! Huzzah! :loco:

NR: Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

I read Inferno years ago. Pretty good book.

NR: David Weber, Storm From the Shadows -- about 60% done, good (but not excellent) so far. More talking and describing than real action through the book...at least, thus far.

NR - The HOckey News, Chara cover, Total Playoffs :p

LK Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series; first book was good (Kiss of Shadows) but book two is starting off kinda eh (Caress of Twilight)

C. Harris' Dead Until Dark (made into the HBO series 'True Blood') - from what I've read so far, the series stayed pretty true except for an extra character that has yet to make an appearance in the book but I liked her in the series (can't think of her name!!!)

Inferno was a quick and easy read. I really enjoyed it! One line near the end really stood out for me. Something about hell being the violent psych ward for the theologically insane. :D

I'm going to read Escape from Hell next. Over 30 years later and the authors finally wrote a sequel. :)

The sequel actually re-orients you to what happened in the first novel pretty well. You could probably get away with not re-reading it. But the first novel is so short, I guess it wouldn't be a hassle to do so. :)

And the sequel is pretty good. I'm enjoying it, and I'm almost done! These two books are pretty easy to read.

Isle of View by Piers Anthony

I haven't read any Xanth novels since high school. I forgot how much I enjoyed them (even if the critics hate every single one) but many of the puns have me groaning out loud. I think I even said "BOO-URNS" at one point. :lol:

Isle of View by Piers Anthony

I haven't read any Xanth novels since high school. I forgot how much I enjoyed them (even if the critics hate every single one) but many of the puns have me groaning out loud. I think I even said "BOO-URNS" at one point. :lol:

Actually, the first few Xanth books were pretty well received by SF/fantasy critics, but the lustre wore off fairly quickly. That's often the case with Piers Anthony's books, I've found. I don't think I've ever finished a complete series from him.

I finished David Weber's Storm From the Shadows and....I was disappointed with it. It's a set-up novel for much larger conflicts to come (well, potential conflicts) and ends fairly abruptly, in 'teaser' mode....plus, there's a lot of talking and characters conferencing and not that much action.

Now I gotta find a good book to read, as I'll be away from the house for a few days and potentially bored, staying in a hotel. :)

"Chicken Soup from the Soul of Hawaii" - Canfield/Hansen/Linnea/Rohr

Hopefully, that won't get me kicked off this thread, but I needed something that I could read a few pages of at night and then set aside...as opposed to staying awake all night to find out what happens in the end. :lol:

David A. Kessler, MD: “The End of Overeating – Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite”

The author is the former head of the FDA…and struggles with food issues himself. The first part of the book goes in to detail on how food manufacturers and restaurants have “conditioned” individuals to overeat by loading up foods with an optimal amount of fat, salt, sugar, and artificial flavorings.

These ingredients actually light up pleasure/reward centers in the brain (just like a drug), with the result that some people continually obsess about obtaining food -- and may find themselves stuck in an overeating loop. (I am definitely food-obsessed…although I *usually* stay out of the overeating cycle by counting Weight Watchers POINTS).

The last part of the book is supposed to address how we can re-wire our brain circuitry to break the overeating cycle. I sure hope it works. The first part of the book alternately grossed me out…and made me REALLY want a Cinnabon. :lol:

Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer

In case some of you sci-fi fans didn't know, Flashforward has been picked up for a fall '09 series by ABC. Then in the spring, it's planned to be the "replacement" for Lost when it wraps up. I'm only a few chapters in, but it has an interesting premise that could work for a series. Of course, they'll probably dumb down the science stuff a bit. I'm too lazy right now to write up a summary, so here's what Publisher's Weekly said about it:

A science experiment that unwittingly shuts down all human consciousness for two minutes is the catalyst for a creative exploration of fate, free will and the nature of the universe in Sawyer's soul-searching new work (after Factoring Humanity). In April 2009, Lloyd and Theo, two scientists at the European Organization for Particle Physics (CERN), run an experiment that accidentally transports the world's consciousness 20 years into the future. When humanity reawakens a moment later, chaos rules. Vehicles whose drivers passed out plow into one another; people fall or maim themselves. But that's just the beginning. After the horror is sorted out, each character tries desperately to ensure or avoid his or her future. Trapped by his guilt for causing so much destruction and driven by a need to rationalize, Lloyd tries to prove that free will is a myth. Theo discovers that he will be murdered and begins to hunt down his killer, tempting fate as in the Greek dramas of his ancestors. Some people start on their appointed roads early, others give up on life because of what they've seen. Using a third-person omniscient narrator, Sawyer shifts seamlessly among the perspectives of his many characters, anchoring the story in small details. This first-rate, philosophical journey, a terrific example of idea-driven SF, should have wide appeal.

A science experiment that unwittingly shuts down all human consciousness for two minutes is the catalyst for a creative exploration of fate, free will and the nature of the universe in Sawyer's soul-searching new work (after Factoring Humanity). In April 2009, Lloyd and Theo, two scientists at the European Organization for Particle Physics (CERN), run an experiment that accidentally transports the world's consciousness 20 years into the future. When humanity reawakens a moment later, chaos rules. Vehicles whose drivers passed out plow into one another; people fall or maim themselves. But that's just the beginning. After the horror is sorted out, each character tries desperately to ensure or avoid his or her future. Trapped by his guilt for causing so much destruction and driven by a need to rationalize, Lloyd tries to prove that free will is a myth. Theo discovers that he will be murdered and begins to hunt down his killer, tempting fate as in the Greek dramas of his ancestors. Some people start on their appointed roads early, others give up on life because of what they've seen. Using a third-person omniscient narrator, Sawyer shifts seamlessly among the perspectives of his many characters, anchoring the story in small details. This first-rate, philosophical journey, a terrific example of idea-driven SF, should have wide appeal.

Sounds a bit like The 4400.

That Sawyer book -- and hopefully the small-screen adaptation -- sounds awesome, actually. :kickass:

NR: Datlow and Windling, eds., Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2006 -- kinda skimming it at the moment. It's a massive tome.

NOT as massive as this ginormous History of the World coffee-table book I picked up at Barnes and Noble for, like, $24. It's not so much a book as it is a flat bludgeon. :)

I'm finally done with the Chronicles of Amber; I started on Tad Williams' Shadowplay (although I'm in no hurry to finish that as he's still not quite done with the third book - last I heard he was at 994 manuscript pages).

n252446.jpg

n220200.jpg

n282958.jpg

n294630.jpg

n308227.jpg

n295303.jpg

Reaper's Gale - Steven Erikson

I've fallen behind in this series, so when I saw that the ninth book is coming up next year and Esslemont's second was finally hitting the US a few months before, I knew it was time to start catching up. :kickass: