Now Reading...

I needed a little brain candy (and a good laugh), so I just read "Plum Spooky" by Janet Evanovich.

Next up is Richard Lederer - A Man of My Words. I picked up the book after I heard Richard speak at a conference in San Diego. The man is a hoot...and his passion for the nuances of the English language is truly contagious!

0446351024.jpg

Making Money!

I'm currently in-between books also, having finished the first installment in Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, plus that Roman Emperors book just prior to it.

I recently discovered (well, re-discovered) that the black-metal band Keep of Kalessin got their name from the Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin (!) ...so I'm considering dusting off my copies. They're great books for any age (although considered young-adult fantasy).

I actually settled on Dragonspell, as I'm not quite in a satire mood yet. Though I do plan on reading Making Money once I finish with Dragonspell. :)

@Pellaz: I've read the Earthsea trilogy, but I wasn't overly impressed. I've since donated it to my old High School's library. Hopefully someone else will get more enjoyment out of it. I've donated a lot of hardcover books to them. Their selection is mostly books from the 1960s about Frontier life. It was time for some updated fiction and fantasy to appear in the selection.

Very interesting, yet disturbing, view of the life of a German WWII sniper on the eastern front during the final months of the war. The descriptions of his experiences make Saving Private Ryan look like Hogan's Heroes. Having said that, it never seems gratuitous but is stated very matter-of-fact. You don't often get stories from the point of view of the losing side and that's what makes this story so compelling.

Give it a try if your interested in that kind of thing.

Recently Finished: V is for Vendetta

Currently reading (primarily. I have a few other books that I've started and haven't yet finished, but might go back to them):
Watchmen
Don't Shoot the Dog
The Revolution: A Manifesto

Very interesting, yet disturbing, view of the life of a German WWII sniper on the eastern front during the final months of the war. The descriptions of his experiences make Saving Private Ryan look like Hogan's Heroes. Having said that, it never seems gratuitous but is stated very matter-of-fact. You don't often get stories from the point of view of the losing side and that's what makes this story so compelling.

Give it a try if your interested in that kind of thing.

I'm adding that to my list. Sounds interesting.

A couple of years ago I ead "The Blond Knight of Germany" by Raymond F. Toliver & Trevor J. Constable. It's about Germany's top ace from WWII (somewhere around 350 air to air kills, which humble's the top US aces with 40). The story was pretty decent, but the most interesting part toward the end where he described the end of the war from the German viewpoint. Especially interesting was their treatment at the hands of the Russians, which I could only describe as brutal.

Yarbro's character St. Germain has to be one of the most criminally under-noticed vampires in literature. Plus, she's great at historical details, so every book is a time-travelling treat. :worship:

Based on Glenn's recommendation in another thread, I just picked up Steve Knopper's "Appetite for Self-Destruction: The spectacular crash of the record industry in the digital age"

I worked for a record label in Nashville in the 1990s, and they were definitely slow to catch on to the power of the Internet. At the time, it was pretty much seen as a tool to post artist bios and tour dates.

Can't wait to dig in to this one!

St. Germain is that rarity in fiction: a compassionate, 100% "good guy" who is also believable as a "vampire." That Quinn's books languish in obscurity while other people have gotten rich off of the frontiers that she helped pioneer causes me a headache.

Now reading myself: "The Living Dead," an anthology by (metal fan...check his blog on Amazon) John Joseph Adams. It is sold as a zombie anthology, though there is quite a lot of diversity in it - and I am just over 100 pages into it. I have been on a zombie kick lately as a direct result of "Twilight." It's kind of hard to turn a zombie into a teen idol.