Now watching:

But what's your deal with slasher flics? I know most of the newer ones really suck but a lot of the older ones are great.

For some reason I've just never gotten into them. Like I stated above, I do enjoy most of the Halloween series, but otherwise I just avoid watching them.

I guess I'm more into the supernatural thing other than just watching some wacko wearing a mask cutting up teenagers having sex. :lol: To me that's not scary, just silly.

What Lies Beneath, The Sixth Sense, and The Others are what I judge other horror flicks on. In my opinion, those three movies haven't been outdone yet.

~Brian~

Any CSI fans in here? If so, what did you think of last night episode? I'm kinda bummed...

I've tried to get into that series but I just can't get over my irritation with the lead guy. They're trying to solve a crime and he makes the whole time like he already knows all the answers but has to lead the others to figure it out.

Our current weekly indulgences are Top Gear, House, Law and Order SVU -- this weeks episode was major HUH? WHAT? -- Without A Trace, and I'd been liking How I Met Your Mother until Brittany Spears made an appearance last week so I may not be watching it any more. We also love the Office and 2 1/2 Men, but for some reason the DVR hasn't picked up The Office this season and 2 1/2 men conflicts with new House episodes.

Just watched Maxed Out. It's a documentary about the state of credit card debt in the U.S. Some pretty crazy stuff in there. Obviously there's always agendas being pushed with most documentaries, but aside from a few extreme instance illustrated in the film, I'm not sure you'd even need to skew the data much at all to show how widespread and crippling the problem has become.

I've finally gotten around to seeing some movies released in the past few years that I've been neglecting. The second Pirates movie, Stardust, The Golden Compass, and 300... all of them were good, except Pirates. Based on this movie, I might not bother watching the third one.

Just saw 1408, The Number 23. All good, IMO.

1408 - Aside from the incredibly generic acting from Cusack and the somewhat cheesy ending, I enjoyed the bulk of this movie.

The Number 23 - I really wanted to like it because I've enjoyed Jim Carrey's non-comedic works. But I didn't, and like Shokrok said, I got the feeling I'd seen that premise before.

Saw Prince Caspian on Friday in the brand new DLP theater in our area. Great movie. I was a big fan of the books when I was a kid so I appreciate it a lot more than others who seem to enjoy calling it LOTR lite. Because... having 5/7 of the books out by the time the first LOTR book (not including The Hobbit) was published means it's just a rip off of LOTR. I'm really tempted to read all the books again because it's been at least 15 years since I did.

Planet Earth - Saw Disc 1 (blu ray). Spacing this out in my netflix queue. Some of the shots are amazing. It's something meant for high def. Don't waste watching it on DVD or regular SD TV.

Junebug - An amuzing dysfunctional family movie. I was recommended it awhile ago when I bought Enchanted because Amy Adams is in it. Basically a slice of life movie where nothing happens so not for those looking for much beyond character development.

American Gladiators - It's fun to watch but a much better show if you can DVR it and fast forward through all the boring backstories and cheesy dialogue to the events.

Starting to watch Bones again. Watched the last disc of s1 as I'd missed the last two episodes when they originally aired. Getting s2 through netflix.

I've finally gotten around to seeing some movies released in the past few years that I've been neglecting. The second Pirates movie, Stardust, The Golden Compass, and 300... all of them were good, except Pirates. Based on this movie, I might not bother watching the third one.

In my opinion, the first Pirates movie is great, but the last two were simply made to cash in. Basically, they're a waste of time to watch. The third one is even much worse than the second one if you can imagine that! :rolleyes:

~Brian~

Does anyone here watch the sitcom, The Big Bang Theory? Whoever casted that show hit a grand slam in my opinion! :headbang:They couldn't have gotten a better cast if they tried. It's one of the best sitcoms on right now!:worship: Unlike so many other shows (Two and a Half Men, The New Adventures of Old Christine), it's actually funny without having to refer to sex all the time. That gets a little tiresome and overdone at times I think.

~Brian~

Does anyone here watch the sitcom, The Big Bang Theory? Whoever casted that show hit a grand slam in my opinion! :headbang:They couldn't have gotten a better cast if they tried. It's one of the best sitcoms on right now!:worship: Unlike so many other shows (Two and a Half Men, The New Adventures of Old Christine), it's actually funny without having to refer to sex all the time. That gets a little tiresome and overdone at times I think.

~Brian~

I've seen two episodes and can't get into it. The characters often come off more gay than nerdy (as in homosexuals not one of those stupid uses of the word).

Just watched:

The Orphanage - Being a fan of Pan's Labyrinth I figured I'd check this one out. Nothing much scary about this movie, contrary to how it was advertised. But, I still thought it was entertaining and had an interesting atmospheric quality about it. Cool little twist at the end, too. I'd definitely recommend it for fans of movies like The Others.

I Really Hate my Job - It only took me about about 5-7 minutes to realize that I really hate this movie. After 30 excruciating minutes in, I had to pull the plug. Annoying characters, shitty plot(if any) and just awful awful writing. How in the hell Neve Campbell still gets gigs is beyond me.

Master & Commander - For whatever reason I'd never seen this. Perhaps because most of Russell Crowe's acting seems pretty phone-in. Luckily in this case it didn't much matter to me as I enjoyed it.

Love Actually - Per the recommendation of my gf, this movie was a surprise. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Couldn't get enough of Bill Nighy's(Victor from Underworld) role as the old rock star trying to make a comeback.

Just watched:

Master & Commander - For whatever reason I'd never seen this. Perhaps because most of Russell Crowe's acting seems pretty phone-in. Luckily in this case it didn't much matter to me as I enjoyed it.

For what it's worth, the book series this movie is based on (the Aubrey/Maturin series, by Patrick O'Brian) is absolutely terrific.
Before O'Brian passed, the NY Times regarded him as the world's greatest living novelist and one of the finest historical novelists ever. I can't recommend them highly enough. :kickass:

The movie is actually based on bits of three of the novels in the series (Master and Commander, HMS Surprise and The Far Side of the World), but there's plenty more to draw from.

Just catching up on some other semi-recent movies that I've been meaning to watch for a while now...

Transformers -- I was pleasantly surprised how good this is. I'm now a believer that, perhaps, Megan Fox could really be the most beautiful woman on earth.

Knocked Up -- Amazing movie, and not just for its comedic content. Between this and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Apatow is truly a genius filmmaker.

Sunshine -- Very intense, especially toward the end, but they seemed to completely abandon science and logic about halfway through. Bummer. Enjoyable nonetheless.

I may or may not rent some more movies from the Red Box before the end of the weekend. There's a lot of stuff on there I could do with seeing.

Sunshine -- Very intense, especially toward the end, but they seemed to completely abandon science and logic about halfway through. Bummer. Enjoyable nonetheless.

I also enjoyed this movie. An interesting premise with some suspenseful moments. Cillian Murphy is kinda a strange actor but I think that helped him in this role. Had a similar feel to the movie Sphere, though I did not like that one.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -

As a huge fan of the previous three Indiana Jones installments, I gave no thought to the countless sub-par reviews I've read/heard going into this movie. Seems this movie was just destined to draw unmerited criticism from those looking for replicas of the prior three, which of course, it has. I went with no expectations and was eager to see whether Harrison Ford and Co. could affectively portray a significantly older Dr. Jones without compromising the overall legacy of the series. Here's what I got out of it:

From a nostalgia P.O.V., they certainly tried to incorporate many of the old familiar Indy trademarks. Without giving too much away, there's some fun references/revivals of older characters either in discussion or in person, i.e. Marcus Brody.(sorry if that's a spoiler but he's been dead for like 15 yrs) We get the old map with the plane flying to a red dot bit, which I always liked as a kid. And of course there's plenty of Indy's trademark quips along the way(often so bad they're good) There's more, but I'd say they did a good job touching on the old movies without dwelling/relying on them.

The characters were lacking in some spots. The previous movies all had established/interesting enemies; Belloq(the french guy,) Walter Donavan, the Nazis, Dr. Elsa Schneider, and the guy who pulled your heart out. Cate Blanchett failed with this task, as did incorporating the Soviets. The character of Mac also seemed uninteresting and perhaps underused at times, and another new character, Ox, spent most of the time doing his best impression of a homeless person who's lost his marbles. Indy's new sidekick Mutt was hit or miss, but mostly hit considering there just wasn't anyone else on screen doing anything cool a lot of the time. Overall the supporting cast was my biggest problem and left me wondering where was Short Round, Salah, and just how big the paycheck needed to be to get Sean Connery's old ass to sign on.

The action sequences were fine, for the most part. Indy can still throw a punch and look convincing doing it, yet his whip-work was largely missing throughout. There were some cool action scenes peppered throughout the movie, but there were certainly some that were a bit hokey(Mutt swinging expertly from vines in the jungle was kinda stupid) Despite a few cheesy action scenes I'd say an older Harrison Ford looked just fine to me.

The plot/storyline was interesting. It certainly touched on the sci-fi end of things, which was fine for me. It was by no means as well developed as the other films, but it held my interest up until the ending, which bordered on ridiculous. The main content of the story left me feeling stuck in no-man's land a bit. I felt like they gave us enough info to be curious and have questions, but didn't go all they way with it and completely satisfy the curiosity. In the end the conclusion seemed like a combo of National Treasure II and Stargate.

I guess this probably reads like I didn't enjoy the movie, but I definitely did and would recommend it. It may not scratch all the old itches but it certainly seems like a worthy addition to the series. I'd say 3 stars with an upside, as I can see it getting better with more viewings.