Nt2 A on guitar

Kellii

Nov 24, 2010
Livingston, Scotland. UK
So guys for my recently project I'm about to embark on I'm thinking of using the Sm57 and Rode NT 2A(padded -10 with a sock over it to protect it/just cause I like shoving socks over things) for some guitar tones and I was wondering what peoples opinions are on using a condensor on guitars?

I'm not as experianced as everyone else here so opinions would be much valued.

I plan on double tracking all my guitars with both mics and using most of the condensor tones for solos and Chords/Riffs without vocals then automating it to drop in volume during singing parts and just keeping the sm57 at the same volume the whole way through the track.

I'm aware I'll probably have to high pass the Eq on the condensor so it sounds alittle thin.

Anyway opinions and favourite guitar tones using condensor mics would be much welcomed .[:

Thanks guys

Yeah the combination of a condenser and dynamic can be nice. Spend a while getting the mics in good positions and make sure they are phase coherent.

Wouldn't worry too much about putting any sort of sock over the mic, in fact would recommend against it.

I used that set up on a marshall dsl +1960a for a rock band, had the condensor a little further back in the room and it sounded really nice, roomy (of course) and organic. You probably wouldn't want much room in metal though.

Generally you get a more detailed high and low but that will also give you more fizz and boom. Try it!

I used one recently and dug it with a 57. Didn't have time to pull a great tone as I knew it was getting reamped but it's certainly something I will try again.

Sorry Its took me a while to write back. I'll try it without the sock lol. I just get a bit worried I'll break something.

Allot of the stuff I do is hard rock so I might just use it as a room mic idea.[: Thanks dude. I tried it once with a clean guitar tone for an indie pop recording for college and it did sound nice so I'll definently be doing it for any clean sounds.

What are you guys opinions on the Rode Nt 2 A anyway? I've recently got one due to having pretty good reviews I got it for vocals and it sounds GREAT but it cost me loads so I wanna try and use it as much as possible :L

Thanks allot!

well it wasn't a room mic per se, it still sounded pretty direct, just had a little more ambience in it. I have an NT-2 and i think it can sound great, recorded a vocalist who sounded better through it than through a U87 once. It all depends on the source.