Nvidia NV40 new 16 pipeline card

hypocrisy86

They All Knew Golgotha...
Feb 20, 2004
Texas
as you see it takes 2 PSU connectors not one so you need one huge PSU ...
hypocrisy86-9389.jpg

Anyhow, we have something that you all have been waiting for.

It was easy enough to state that Nvidia's NV40 was an eight-times-two pipeline architecture before and now claim it's 16x1, but it was very hard to find out how this chip actually works without being able to speak with the company's David Kirk and ask him all the nasty questions. We don’t sign NDAs, that’s our problem. If we did, we'd know, but we wouldn't be able to tell you. As it is, we can post this stuff as soon as we get it.

So, the claim that we made more than once that NV40 is 16x1 chip is partially true and but the claim that I made previously that the chip is 8x2 is also true. How's that possible?
Nvidia's NV40 mimics a 16x1-pipeline architecture with just eight pipelines

NV40 isn't a true DX9 chipset, only a DX8 chipset that supports SOME of the DX9 features, making it's future usefulness somewhat of a sham.

I think it's probably a marketing ploy to try to take away high end gamers from going with the Radeon 9800XT, which is by far the best card when you enable full screen Ansiotropic filter and full screen Antialiasing, which the NV40 chipset is crap at.

its going to be DX9 just like the Volari Duo V8 Ultra dual GPU coming out, XGI revised the Duo series for PCI Express etc.. and they posted pics of the V8 Duo Ultra and that was a premature one, the final one looks different, and the core clock will be over 700Mhz and way over 1ghz memory hopefully, its nice for there to be three graphic card companies, though XGI was only established in june last year... and their mainstream cards are fast 16gbs for a 190$ card, and they said there top of the line one will be cheaper than Nvidias and ATIs.. go here www.xgitech.com :D

the next Radeon high end card will have a core clock of from 500 too 600 mhz
and 1ghz of mem speed... ATI just needs to make the core faster, i like ATI better than Nvidia, i have 2 ATI cards a Radeon 8500LE 128mb a 9200 128mb. and i have 2 Nvidia cards and MX and the 5200 Ultra...

Still seems carp. nVidia are going to have to pull their socks up if they want to challenge ATi.

It's common knowledge that while NV40 CAN run in DX9 mode, no real games running at even 640x480 will even get frame rates worth playing. NV50 will be a true DX9 chipset, but the 9800xt IS fully DX9 compatible, and with bump mapping, AA, Anso and all the other DX9 features turned on, you can still play in 1280x1024 on any system with a 2.8 or higher no problem.

Do some looking around... most reviewers of the NV40 fail to mention these facts, that AA and Ansio need to be OFF for smooth gameplay, while the ATI smokes.