Nwobhm

Dazz

New Metal Member
Jul 29, 2002
beyond the realms of death
Visit site
Some time ago I searched for some bands on this style and I had the chance to download old songs from old bands like:
-Dark Star
-Street Fighter
-Spartan Warriors
-Ricochet
-Tigers of Pan Tang
-Tokyo Blade

Since I listen to metal since the 90's. almost all bands are unknown to me but I liked most of the material.
For example, the song "Lady of Mars" from Dark Star and all the songs from Tigers... A nice discovery.

Lady of Mars is great indeed. I bought the Dark Star album when it was released. I am still waiting for it ti be released on CD.

Tokyo Blade were not really part of the NWOBHM they came into being in 1982. I have seen them live at the Dynamo club in Eindhoven. You should have seen the Tygers of Pan Tang live, they were great.

The second album from the Tygers ["Spellbound"] is available on cd be shure to get it, it is great. It has also the audition tapes on it.

An other great NWOBHM is Tresspass if you ever encounter mp3's from them just d/l them

Actually I can remember that I was dissapointed with the first Angelwitch album.

I already had some cool stuff by them like Bachomet from the "Metal for Muthas" sampler, the Flight 19 EP and "Extermination day" from the Friday night rockshow sampler.

So when the album was relased I was running to the recordshop only to find out that the songs on it were not of the same quality, IMHO or course :)

Witchfinder General and Grim Reaper I liked yes, but I would never call them the best bands of the NWOBHM. I think that is a personal evaluation.

What would be my favorite choice of bands from the NWOBHM era?

Well, I loved Iron Maiden with Paul Dianno, Bitches Sin, Jaguar, Raven, Sweet Savage,Blitzkrieg,Holocaust and Trespass.

Those would be my favorites

Angelwitch73:

I've been meaning to order CDs from you and Blackgoat for a long time but I'm just hesitant to send money in letters since I haven't done it before but I'll make an order next week.

deadgoat666:

Actually, they have two 7" singles, Music and Burning A Sinner. Also Burning a Sinner has been rereleased with a different cover. They also have a 10" EP called Soviet Invasion.

Of all the NWOBHM acts, LEGEND is my all time fav (The Channel Islands band). Admittedly, they're not the easiest band to "get into" as they posess a completely original and unique sound. Some may even go as far as to call it "folk."
Their recordings were all done independently, so the production sounds a little lack lustre and their origiinal recordings are extremely rare. But despite those tiny chinks on the armour, the music is incredibly HEAVY!! The talent of this band and their songwriting style are brilliant. I highly recommend you check them out. You can find more info on their website:LEGEND

I would also highly recommend Mythra, Satan, Blitzkrieg, Dragster, Savage, and Sweet Savage.

BTW....Witchfinder General KILLS!!

Originally posted by MacMoney

deadgoat666:

Actually, they have two 7" singles, Music and Burning A Sinner. Also Burning a Sinner has been rereleased with a different cover. They also have a 10" EP called Soviet Invasion.

That's right, "Soviet Invasion", I had heard about that one. I wasn't aware it was a 10" though. Thanks!

Originally posted by Electric Savage
Of all the NWOBHM acts, LEGEND is my all time fav (The Channel Islands band). Admittedly, they're not the easiest band to "get into" as they posess a completely original and unique sound. Some may even go as far as to call it "folk."
Their recordings were all done independently, so the production sounds a little lack lustre and their origiinal recordings are extremely rare. But despite those tiny chinks on the armour, the music is incredibly HEAVY!! The talent of this band and their songwriting style are brilliant. I highly recommend you check them out. You can find more info on their website:LEGEND

I would also highly recommend Mythra, Satan, Blitzkrieg, Dragster, Savage, and Sweet Savage.

Cool dude, I just checked outthe mp3 on Monsterrecords.com. I hadn't ever listened to them, but I like what I hear. I had bought stuff from Monster before, they have some cool stuff. JPT SCare band I picked up, that's pretty rockin. Also picked up Truth and Janey, which I don't care for a whole lot.

The best band of the eighties to fade into oblivion was undoubtedly Witchfinder General. The 10" had Burning a sinner, RIP (live) and Soviet invasion. Does anyone have or know where to get any Witchfinder General bootleg stuff?

I bought Satan's "Court in the act" and I thought these guys are the next big things, but then they changed thier name to Blind Fury and I think they were doomed from then on. Although I believe they changed back to Satan after a while.

A couple of other great names to come out of the NWOBHM were Hellenbach, Killer and Picture although the latter 2 aren't technically NWOBHM, they are from that era. The problem I think with these bands is after thier first album, subsequent albums suffered by comparison

Yea Maiden Japan was the title I have met all of Maiden around that time. Steve Harris is a really cool guy. Paul was great to.

Ooo there's lost of great early Maiden stuff with Dianno, there's the Running Free Single, The Sanctuary EP, the Women In Uniform EP, The Twilight Zone single and I don't know what :) I have all of it . I was a fanatical Maiden fan in those day's.

I was very disapointed when Paul left Maiden. Theirs was an special attitude in those day's. More down to earth than now. They were great playing live then in that time :) Memories memories...

Originally posted by Electric Savage

Yes!! That Mythra EP is legendary!! And Satan were great Live I have seen then many times at the Dynamo club in Eindhoven. Too bad Blitzkrieg never made it bigger. Brain Ross was/IS an amazing singer. Do you have the Satan album "Cougt in the act"?

Too bad Blitzkrieg never made it bigger. Brain Ross was/IS an amazing singer.

Blitzkrieg is still around with Brian. I believe a new album is in the works.
And as far as Satan is concerned, Court In The Act was one of my favorite albums of all time. I just wish that line up had made just one more record.