Nwobhm

I am in the picture called "Dynamo Bunch". I am the 5th guy from the right. I wear the black leather jacket, Glasses and the long curley blond hair.

On the top right second from the right is Andre Verhuysen with who I founded the Dynamo pub. He later started the famous Dynamo Open Air festivals.

O, and on the extreme left you can see my girlfriend from those days'

NP: Enchant - Blink of an eye

Does anyone know of a band from the mid eighties called Quartz? They brought out a 12" with 3 songs, Satan's Serenade, Bloody Fool and Roll Over Beethoven. I read somewhere that Tony Iommi had something to do with them. Did they bring out any albums, I'd like to know what happened to them. Was their drummer Malcolm Cope in any way related to Witchfinder General's guitarist, Phil Cope

Quartz was actually a band that started in the late 70s . And yes Iommi had taken them under his wings by producing their first album. Their first album was called "Quartz" .

Their albums were:

Quartz 1977
Live songs 1979
Stand up and fight 1980
Count Dracula and the other low creatures 1980
Against all odds 1982
Satan serenades 1983
Resurrection (live/unreleased) 1996

Last album lineup
-----------------------------------------
Geoff Bate vocals (on "Against All Odds")
Mick Hopkins guitars (all albums)
Steve McLoughlin bass (on "Against All Odds")
Malcolm Cope drums (all albums)

Previous members
-------------------------------------------
Mike Taylor vocals (up to "Stand Up And Fight")
Derek Arnold bass (up to "Stand Up And Fight")
Geoff Nicholls guitars/keyboards (on "Deleted") (See also Black Sabbath)

See were I got my info ;)

http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/bruss/Metal/Metal.html

I just ordered a cd from NECROMANDUD, which was a band tony iommi produced their album in 73 i think. Anyone heard em?

I have not, but I am taking a stab at this one. ALso ordered Silberbart, heard it's rockin shit.

www.freakemporium.com is the web address. Lots of obscure old shit if you dig early 70's heavy stuff.
Ever hear WARPIG? That is killer stuff from 69 or 70, you can get the cd there i think....if you dig Sir Lord BAltimore, Captain Beyond, Warhorse, BANG, LEafhound, Atomic Rooster, or any of that other kick ass early 70's killer rock CHECK OUT WARPIG...TRUST ME!!

I made an NWOBHM best of CD using my burner.

On it was
Blitzkrieg
Iron Maiden
Holocaust
Venom
Crucifixion
Demon
Satan
Witchfyde
Sweet Savage

on my next, I'll put
Diamond Head
Saxon
Witchfinder General
Raven
Angel Witch
etc. other bands that I can find

For more info go to www.nwobhm.com

Is anyone into Chateaux from the NW era. I wonder did they do anything after highly strung. These guys were shit hot and dare I say if I had to pick a top ten metal album of all time "Firepower" would have to be in there somewhere. Is there a website for them, I'm struggling to find anything at all to do with them. :headbang:

Originally posted by deadgoat666
I just ordered a cd from NECROMANDUD, which was a band tony iommi produced their album in 73 i think. Anyone heard em?

Yes - Necromandus - Orexis of Death. Worth having if only for the historical significance of it. The music isn't bad, but it's not metal, more like typical early 70s rock I guess.

Originally posted by St. Vitus

Yes - Necromandus - Orexis of Death. Worth having if only for the historical significance of it. The music isn't bad, but it's not metal, more like typical early 70s rock I guess.

Cool, yeah, i misspelled it the first time. I like lots of early 70's rock, so I am interested in checking it out.

Captain Beyond, Atomic Rooster, Dust, Cactus, High TIde, WArpig, Warhorse, Josefus, Leafhound, Bang, JPT Scare Band, Blue Cheer, Randy Holden, etc........I am always looking for stuff along these lines, anyone have any suggestions of stuff to check out?

To me NWOBHM was a movement more than a sound. Mostly everything between 1979-1985 works for me under that umbrella.

And is kind of a crazy obsession for me, always looking for bands of the era and their albums. So here the list of bands I own at least one:

Angel Witch
Atomkraft
Avenger
Battleaxe
Bleak House
Blitzkrieg
Chariot
Chateaux
Cloven Hoof
Crucifixion
Def Leppard
Demon
Diamond Head
Dragonslayer
Ethel The Frog
Fist
Gaskin
Girlschool
Grim Reaper
Hammerhead
Hellenbach
Holocaust
Iron Maiden
Jaguar
Jameson Raid
Legend
Le Griffe
More
Pagan Altar
Praying Mantis
Quartz
Ritual
Rock Goddess
Salem
Samson
Saracen
Satan/Pariah/Blind Fury
Saxon
Sweet Savage
Tank
Tokyo Blade
Trespass
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Tysondog
Tytan
Vardis
Venom
Warfare
Wildfire
Witchfinder General
Witchfynde
Wolf

Iron Maiden with Di Anno ---> No one ever played like the first two Maiden records again, not even Maiden.
Amazing sound and vocals.
Demon, first two records ---> A bit of Di Anno Maiden in their sound but a different breed altogether. NWOBH is about partying and beer drinking and this band, for me, delivers is spades.
Tank, Filth Hounds of Hades ---> Not only do they scratch the Motorhead itch, but it's one of those rare NWOBH bands that can be enjoyed by punks, hardcore kids etc due to their filth sound.
Heavy Load ---> Epic sound without playing epic metal. I haven't heard their latest record still.
Saxon: With a better singer they would be twice as famous. Records like "Denim and leather" have brilliant music in them.
Manilla Road: I rediscovered these guys after years and years, and I love it.

Iron Maiden with Di Anno ---> No one ever played like the first two Maiden records again, not even Maiden.
Amazing sound and vocals.
Demon, first two records ---> A bit of Di Anno Maiden in their sound but a different breed altogether. NWOBH is about partying and beer drinking and this band, for me, delivers is spades.
Tank, Filth Hounds of Hades ---> Not only do they scratch the Motorhead itch, but it's one of those rare NWOBH bands that can be enjoyed by punks, hardcore kids etc due to their filth sound.
Heavy Load ---> Epic sound without playing epic metal. I haven't heard their latest record still.
Saxon: With a better singer they would be twice as famous. Records like "Denim and leather" have brilliant music in them.
Manilla Road: I rediscovered these guys after years and years, and I love it.

Yeah, I know people who doesn't like IM after DiAanno. I do like it, but also consider "Killers" their best tie up with "Piece Of Mind"

Demon, I still went up to the 4th album, but the first two have that raw energy, I agree.

Tank, got all the way up to "Still At War", the debut nevertheless is a damn classic. (RIP Algy Ward).

Saxon, the cream of the cream, still a damn good band today as it was when the dam began to burst.

Heavy Load: sorry Swedish band, not appliable here. If so we also have to check every other contemporary band.

Manilla Road: sorry USA band, same as above.

Yeah I got a little carried away country-wise with some bands.
I like Maiden in general, not just the Di Anno years, but the Di Anno years were more unique, sound wise, to my ears.
I agree about Saxon, they have this timeless quality in their music. Biff's vocals were always mediocre to my ears though.

Reactions: Wyvern
Yeah I got a little carried away country-wise with some bands.
I understand the feeling.

Even if NWOBHM was a movement that defined the music I love, in retrospective mostly all early 80's stuff (specially from Europe) has that vibe to my ears:

Heavy Load - Sweden
Sortilege (and more) - France
Baron Rojo (and more) - Spain
Loudness - Japan
V8 - Argentina
Armored Saint, Riot, Warlord, Liege Lord, Manilla Road (and some others) - USA
Acid - Belgium
Picture - Holland
Witch Cross - Denmark

Reactions: Lios
I understand the feeling.

Even if NWOBHM was a movement that defined the music I love, in retrospective mostly all early 80's stuff (specially from Europe) has that vibe to my ears:

Heavy Load - Sweden
Sortilege (and more) - France
Baron Rojo (and more) - Spain
Loudness - Japan
V8 - Argentina
Armored Saint, Riot, Warlord, Liege Lord, Manilla Road (and some others) - USA
Acid - Belgium
Picture - Holland
Witch Cross - Denmark

Yes, exactly.
For me NWOBHM was always the sound of a cultural timestamp transcending its place of origin.
Something like, England and Sabbath being the farmer's hand and then the seeds got thrown everywhere.
I of course understand and agree that in its name, it describes a certain english sound that appeared during the first years of 1980.
But I cannot listen to "March of the Saint", or "Crystal Logic", or "Death or Glory" and not think of NWOBHM.

Reactions: Wyvern