O/T All about the opening track

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Who dosen't like their ass kicked right away when they put on a record? I love when bands get right to the point on the opening track. Post yer favorite album openers here. Some of mine (minus the OBVIOUS "march of the SOD"):

Cro-Mags - We Gotta Know. That intro is fucking furious. Slow, but it bludgens you, then you hear the drum stick click, and BAM, John comes in with the vocal and off we go. What a perfect song.

M.O.D. - Balls on Bread. Scott's on fire with that riff, the double bass during the verses adds extra power, and of course Billy's bulldozer of a voice lets you know damn sure he means everything he's saying. This song knocked my out when I first heard it. M.O.D. had been away for a while and it brought a smile to my miserable face to hear them destroy with a track like this.

Overkill - Necroshine. Again with the awesome intro, this one lets you know this songs gonna be cool. Blitz always amazes me with his voice. While his high pitched screams arn't as frequent these days, he's still one of the top voices in music, and if you ask me, THE best metal frontman.

Corrorsion of Conformity - Stonebreaker. Exellent build up that leads up to Peppers perfect chugging riff. (got a bit lazy here with my reasoning, but seriously, this song is great)

No list of this sort wouldnt be complete without Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, the song that started this genre we all know and love. Nothing was this errie, this dark, this HEAVY. Everything about this track is perfect. The rain sounds/thunder, church bells, the RIFF, Ozzy's haunting vocal, ect bla bla you get it

off Anthrax's album WCFYA is AWESOME. Or "Crush" from Vol. 8. Both get me every time. Also "Break on Through" from The Doors 1st album. Great songs, great times.:puke:

The Great Southern Trend Kill is a brutal opener.
Two of my personal favorites Neon Knights off Heaven and Hell and Trashed off Born Again

Slayer - Hell Awaits. I love that opening, I always play that when I'm preparing to play a hockey game.

Add "Ruin" from Lamb of God's "As The Palaces Burn" too my list. Randy's got one hell of a scream.

Very true.

My list:

"Time" from "Persistence of time" by Anthrax. Sets the mood right there.

"Heaven´s not overflowing" on "Deliverence" by Corrosion Of Conformity. Also a great starter.

"Davidian" from "Burn my eyes" by Machine Head.

"From out of nowhere" on "The real thing" by Faith No More.

Likewise with March of the S.O.D. & Balls on Bread
Annihilator - Bloodbath (Criteria for a black widow)
Danzig - Twist Of Cain (Danzig I)
Danzig - Long way back from hell (Danzig II)
Danzig - Brand New God (Danzig 4)
The Misfits - 20 Eyes (Walk Among Us)
Slayer - War Ensemble (Seasons)
Deicide - Serpents of the Light

Just some off the top on my head....

Pantera - Strength Beyond Strength (Far beyond driven) And The Great Southern Trendkill (The great southern trendkill)

S.O.D. - March of the S.O.D./Sargent D and the S.O.D.

The Bronx - Heart attack american (The Bronx)

Danzig - It's Coming Down (Thrall demonsweatlive)

Sick of it all - The Blood & the Sweat (Blood, Sweat & No Tears)

Rollins Band - Low self opinion (End of silence)

Napalm Death - Silence Is Deafening (The code is red...Blah blah blah)

Terrorizer - After World Obliteration (World Downfall)

GG Allin - Highest Power (Brutality and bloodshed for all)

Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed face (Tomb of the Mutilated)

And i also agree with OM about Cro-Mags - We Gotta Know... Fuckin loved that band!! :kickass:

Angel of death, low self opinion, March of the SOD all worthy opponents, however the best opener of all time is:

Strapping young lad - Imperial (Alien) :kickass::headbang:

(closely followed by SYL - Velvet Kevorkian/all hail the new flesh)

Ah shit, how can we forget that!? :lol: Well damn, If that's the case, we might as well add every EHG album opening track then!! :kickass:

"Blank" from Take as Needed For Pain especially. Bower is the feedback master! Plus that little audio clip they put in the middle of the track "your all suffering from addiction... alcohol alcohol alcohol...." is fucking errie.