O/T: Brad Delp of Boston dead at 55

dailyvault

35 and counting...
May 2, 2005
Gurnee, IL
Got the word from one of the guys running my old music review web site, and it's on the news sites now. Brad Delp, lead singer of Boston, was found dead in his home today. He was only 55 years old.

I just checked the official Boston website. All it says is: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

Far too young to lose someone of his talent.

Damn. One of the best rock voices of the 70's. I'll be listening to that first CD today.

I was really sad, i saw him live in 1996 on that reunion thing they did, and got to see live my favorite Boston song,"HITCH A RIDE" awesome vocal melodies and also my favorite guitar solo from Boston

I was really sad, i saw him live in 1996 on that reunion thing they did, and got to see live my favorite Boston song,"HITCH A RIDE" awesome vocal melodies and also my favorite guitar solo from Boston

You're lucky, I've never seen them.

not just a good rock band but the overall sound production was WAY ahead of itself.

i mean if you really listened close, you could tell the difference between them and some of the other artists with material from that time.

say you listened to two tracks off the radio station one after another, and you heard the other first, then you heard boston. Boston was produced louder and better, and you didn't have to really turn your radio up to notice the difference.

its the same sort of effect you get with your local tv commercials on many cable stations in the US. but their recording quality sucks.

not just a good rock band but the overall sound production was WAY ahead of itself.

i mean if you really listened close, you could tell the difference between them and some of the other artists with material from that time.

say you listened to two tracks off the radio station one after another, and you heard the other first, then you heard boston. Boston was produced louder and better, and you didn't have to really turn your radio up to notice the difference.

its the same sort of effect you get with your local tv commercials on many cable stations in the US. but their recording quality sucks.

Tom Shultz was responsible for the bands sound. He was an MIT grad. He learned how to record the band in a way that was different than everybody else in rock. That, and he was a great song writer and guitarist.
Combined with Brad Delp's awesome voice and Boston couldn't miss.:worship:

Tom Shultz was responsible for the bands sound. He was an MIT grad. He learned how to record the band in a way that was different than everybody else in rock. That, and he was a great song writer and guitarist.
Combined with Brad Delp's awesome voice and Boston couldn't miss.:worship:

When I went to recording school an engineer, Geoff Workman, taught us how to get his guitar sound. Besides that he's from a vicinity (Ottawa Hills) in my hometown (Katie Holmes is from there too). That dude was way ahead of his time. Sucks about BD.

Charcoal grills? WTF? I've never heard of anyone even trying that!

I agree with eighteeschick that more needs to be done to help people who suffer from depression. As someone who has dealt with this problem first hand and come out of it (just barely) I really feel that the stigma that goes along with mental illness needs to be addressed. Once people stop believing that being depressed means that they are weird or different, they are more likely to be able to deal with it in a healthy manner. Also, they will be less embarrassed about it and will be able to talk about it more freely.

I've seen too many good people suffer needlessly because they were too embarassed to get the help they needed. As far as I'm concerned, if you need help, you get it. If you have a broken arm, you would wear a cast, right? Same thing.

I lost my best friend last summer to suicide:cry: The fucked up thing is that he never showed any signs that I was able to catch or even know that he was that depressed. We would talk about about life's day to day bullshit that we all deal with, but not once did I or any of his family members hear or notice anything to make us think he would go do something like that.

I lost my best friend last summer to suicide:cry: The fucked up thing is that he never showed any signs that I was able to catch or even know that he was that depressed. We would talk about about life's day to day bullshit that we all deal with, but not once did I or any of his family members hear or notice anything to make us think he would go do something like that.

Sorry to hear about your friend. My best friend attempted suicide twice in the last few years. He's going through a rough divorce.
Just know that you were in no way responsible for knowing what he was going through. Most people who are depressed never say a thing about it to anyone, even those closest to them.

Charcoal grills? WTF? I've never heard of anyone even trying that!

I agree with eighteeschick that more needs to be done to help people who suffer from depression. As someone who has dealt with this problem first hand and come out of it (just barely) I really feel that the stigma that goes along with mental illness needs to be addressed. Once people stop believing that being depressed means that they are weird or different, they are more likely to be able to deal with it in a healthy manner. Also, they will be less embarrassed about it and will be able to talk about it more freely.

I've seen too many good people suffer needlessly because they were too embarassed to get the help they needed. As far as I'm concerned, if you need help, you get it. If you have a broken arm, you would wear a cast, right? Same thing.

Ironically I got a myspace bulletin today from someone I know who is going to do a walk for suicide prevention. I never even knew there was a group that deals with it but this one that he is walking for is called American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. It must be difficult to be left behind, so to speak.

Ironically I got a myspace bulletin today from someone I know who is going to do a walk for suicide prevention. I never even knew there was a group that deals with it but this one that he is walking for is called American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

I've heard about this. Anything that will raise awareness of this problem, I'm all for. It could change the public's view of people who suffer from depression.